HTC one M9

dazdot

Gadget show reviewed a new Android smartphone tonight, forget what it was called but it was less than half the price of the HTC one M9 and the latest Samsung Galaxy.

They said it's performance wasn't quite as good, but the difference was marginal and for the price it was well worth taking the tiny hit in speed.

They are also releasing a version 2 of it later this year which apparently will be at least as quick as the M9 and Galaxy, if you're going to have an Android phone, it might be worth waiting for this v2.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The S6 Edge is a phone I just don't get, the S6, yes no problem, if Android phones are your kind of thing then it's fine, but what does the 'Edge' offer over the S6, other than a compulsion to place your phone screen down everywhere?

Much like glasses, or a watch, or anything with a screen, you should never ever ever place them glass side down, and that completely rules out any point to the 'Edge' unless you like hazy scratched screens.

I just don't get it?

I have got an M7 and really liked it, and am also due an upgrade in a month.

Having looked at the Stuff Top 10..... http://www.stuff.tv/top-10/smartphones .....and then looked around, I am going to jump ship for the Galaxy S6 Edge.

I would start by ignoring every single word Stuff or T9 (or whatever the other is called) write about smartphones.  They have been found out for 'allegedly' accepting monies on their top 10 lists and it is shocking that they continue to produce that rubbish.

I quite like the Edge.  I think it looks cool and seems fast.  If I was buying an Android phone, I'd buy that or the non-Edge version.

The screen scratching issue is quite funny.  That Gorilla glass stuff is pretty tough and you'd have to be a real twonk to get it badly scratched.  However, that isn't what is funny.  They produced the Clear View Case specifically for it - and it has been proven to cause more screen damage to phones than those that don't use it. :roflmao:

The listing of the LG phones is baffling.  Try getting the same opinion on the G4 from anywhere and you'll fail.  They're either average or 'amazing'.  I really do doubt how impartial a lot of these places are.

I still rely on Which? because of that. 

They are still the only people that pay to buy the phones themselves (unlike magazines that get them sent) and every 4 weeks they send any new phones to their labs for testing.  They're absolute perfectionists on ensuring their reviews can't be faulted in respect of impartiality and up-to-date content.

You'll also find that their top 10 looks very different!

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

Had the LG G2 for around 18 months now and It has been a blindingly good phone. I have no allegiance to LG whatsoever and actually I'm a bit sniffy about them generally as a manufacturer, but I really do struggle to fault the phone on virtually anything. If the G3 and G4 build on this then I can understand why they are rated so well.

Re the Gorilla glass, yes it is resistant to deep scratches, but it's not so good at the small stuff, the millions of tiny scratches that form a sort of 'haze' on the screen, those are the sort of scratches that happen if you take advantage of the only feature the 'edge' offers, I.e. Putting your phone screen side down.

It's also a pointless feature regardless of scratches or not imo, simply place your phone screen side up, and hey presto, you can actually see the screen.

My mate has an HTC One M*.  He's just received it as an upgrade to his previous HTC One.

He is very impressed with it, especially the battery life - unbelieveable!   Just as well as it's a sealed unit!

It does look very good, very stylish.  Much better than the Samsung & LG offerings, and yes Apple iphones too.

The HTC has a wieghty feel to it, which I like.  Samsung offerings are just to light.  My Lumia feels heavy, which is one of the many reasons I like it so. 

I have the 820.  In August, it'll be 2 yrs old and time to upgrade!

Probably go for the 930 I think.  Although depends upon size, so the 830 maybe.

Oh, it's been fautless.

Battery life could be better, but it's 2 yrs old so.........

I think it has crashed once!  Honestly!

Edited by cruiser647

I have the 820.  In August, it'll be 2 yrs old and time to upgrade!

Probably go for the 930 I think.  Although depends upon size, so the 830 maybe.

Oh, it's been fautless.

Battery life could be better, but it's 2 yrs old so.........

I think it has crashed once!  Honestly!

I have a Lumia 930.  (Yes and an iPhone 6 and ZTE Blade Android phone, but the Lumia is reasonably new to my 'collection').

I asked because when I got the Lumia 930 I was surprised.  You said you wanted a more weighty phone, yet the Lumia 820 is a mere 25% heavier than an iPhone 6. 

The 930 is 29% heavier - but you'd never really feel that difference.  I don't think it is the weight that you perceive makes the difference - I think it is the depth of the phone.  They do feel more substantial.

The 930 is an excellent phone.  I have it for a project I'm working on with a company in the US and it is my first Windows based phone.  I have had it a couple of months now and if I didn't have my iPhone available - the 930 would be my next choice. 

There are a few things I hate about it, such as the crappy sound from it and the lack of apps, but it is a very capable smartphone.  I think it craps all over Android devices in all honesty.  I'd never touch an Android phone with the 930 available.

I used the 930 exclusively for 2 days.  I did not touch my iPhone 6.

I couldn't last longer than that though.  I had to go back to the 6 because it is simply a far superior device in my view.  The 930 is fast and the screen is excellent, but not iPhone 6 levels.  The key is that the 930 isn't iPhone 6 price either.  I think it is superb value for money compared to the iPhone.  It wins the bang for buck battle.

I was so impressed with the 930 I'm using.....we've bought a 735 for MrsMe as a back-up phone.  She rates it too but it is only there for emergencies - yet she still picks it up now and again.

If someone said to me they didn't want an iPhone and were looking at HTC's, Galaxy S6's, Edges etc - I'd tell them to try a Lumia 930.  That is from someone who has an Android phone too (and it is reasonably fast).  I just think Microsoft have got the OS right now.  Once the apps start coming, it'll be a more substantial threat.

The battery life isn't much better than my iPhone 6 though, so be wary of that.  You'll be charging it every day without doubt.

The battery life on smartphones is definitely something to be desired.

Seems the HTC has moved the game on alot, the others need to catch up!

Yes, the 820 is a substantial phone.  Junior number 2 has the 925 - she's not impressed.  Prefers Andriod so come upgrade time........

Camera on the 930 is supposed to be superb too.

Apps - I don't actually use that many!

Pricepoint - winner!

The camera is very good indeed.  Packed with features and crystal clear images.

I just like the new OS feel with the exception of the battery saver.

Cortana is good but not as intuitive as Siri.  The email interface is excellent and I love the tiles, especially for contacts with photos on the home screen.

Backup phones? :rolleyes:

I can't help noticing the Nokia name has been dropped from the Lumia too, it's now the Microsoft Lumia.

I don't have any experience of a Lumia other than a quick look in a shop, I almost immediately didn't like it, but that's more personal preference than actual ability of the device, which as others mention, is perfectly good.

My main issue is still the lack of apps, and the fact that they still don't appear to be resolving that issue, MrMe you say above "once the apps start coming" but that still doesn't appear to happening.

Whenever I buy a product, or see an advert for something you can link to with an app, I always look to see if Windows is included, it never is, only ever App Store or Play on Android.

The Lumia has been out for quite some time now, I'm not convinced the app situation will be resolved.

Edited by Tipex

The Apps are coming, definitely.  It has been slow but it is changing.  One of the reasons I've got a 930 is because of testing an App that will be coming out later this year from a major social media platform.  Publishers are aware.  The fact Microsoft now own Nokia is going to change the speed of development too.

Both MrsMe and I receive and make lots of mobile calls.  I, much more than her, am a big user of apps (think about it) and there has been the rare occasion when I'm not near power and my battery dies - so a back up phone is essential (I carry a battery pack too but even that might not be enough at times).   It is very, very rare but when it last happened it caused a massive issue, so I just don't take the risk these days.

I also occasionally have the need to demonstrate apps on multiple platforms - including tablets and smartphones.  Having iOS, Android and now Windows to hand is a major boost for that - you can cover any eventuality (and cross OS functionality and operation is often very different).

Edited by NewNiceMrMe
  • Like 1

Backup phones? :rolleyes:

Yes. Me running out of batteries for example costs me real money. They're worth every penny. Also, how else am I supposed to show interop between Windows & iOS :P

Edited by Mac

I fully understand if you need to use different operating systems for work, but to have a backup phone in case your battery goes flat is just daft imo.

I use my phone a lot, I'm normally either in my office or in my car though, very rarely far from a charging opportunity, and in the event I am, I have a small power pack that provides enough power to recharge my phone several times over, the result of which means I'm always on the same number, I only pay for one phone and people always know what number to get me on.

Carrying a spare phone 'in case the battery goes flat' is just daft.

I went into Carphone Whorehouse in the Traff Centre last night to have a look at all current offerings.

I am definitely going to get the Galaxy S6 Edge next. It's just so nice and the upside down colour thing and side ticker actually looks useful (coupled with a screen protector).

It is bloody expensive though £769 SIM free. It's a lot of money for a phone,that's for sure. But I'm not going to be buying a matching watch...so its not that bad.

Next choice would have been HTC M9.

Edited by Soulboy

My days of 'buying' a phone are over.  I bought my first one (on credit) at £300, then maybe £40 or £50 for the odd upgrade boost.

Now, I don't think I'll bother - just whinge about moving if I can't get the phone of my choice (within reason).

£800 for a phone is a piss-take IMHO.

My issue with dropping that sort of money on an Android phone, regardless of your preference of O/S, is that in twelve months time you'll be lucky to get £100 for it.

I know that when I change to the next iPhone, I'll still get most of my money back on the iPhone 6 if I sell it*.

*I most likely won't, Mrs T will most likely have it, and her phone will replace my dads who's still using my old 3G.

£800 for a phone is a piss-take IMHO.

But isn't that a case of describing something as a phone that is no longer just a phone?

It is a phone, a mini-computer, a gaming device, a research tool, a GPS and SatNav device, a health and fitness tracker, a speech recognition device....and all the rest of it.

You said earlier that you didn't use Apps.  That stunned me.  If that is the case, just buy the cheapest possible telephone out there, because anything else would be completely pointless.  That's not a dig by the way - I was just very surprised.  Despite being a heavy user of calls on my phone (i.e. the traditional use) - that still probably accounts for a mere 3-5% of my daily use of the device.  The rest is Apps, texts, emails, etc etc.

Funny really, I hardly ever use my phone for actual voice calls, and the terms I use have also changed. A 'call' to me is an 'event' effectively - one I need to respond to. So I take loads of 'calls' while out and about, but very few are voice now, as voice is quite intrusive and often unnecessary.

Oh, and GO UC.

But isn't that a case of describing something as a phone that is no longer just a phone?

It is a phone, a mini-computer, a gaming device, a research tool, a GPS and SatNav device, a health and fitness tracker, a speech recognition device....and all the rest of it.

You said earlier that you didn't use Apps.  That stunned me.  If that is the case, just buy the cheapest possible telephone out there, because anything else would be completely pointless.  That's not a dig by the way - I was just very surprised.  Despite being a heavy user of calls on my phone (i.e. the traditional use) - that still probably accounts for a mere 3-5% of my daily use of the device.  The rest is Apps, texts, emails, etc etc.

I use apps, just not many.

I have my bank, ebay, some games, email, whatsapp and One Note are the main ones I use.

I know many people have lots of apps, but many use them once or twice and then don't touch again.

I know many people have lots of apps, but many use them once or twice and then don't touch again.

That's certainly true.  I have some I've used only once, but they're there if I want to use them again.

I have others I might use once a month, maybe even once every 6 months - but again I still have them.  I don't think I've downloaded a new iPhone app in the last few months.  I don't play games on it (even though there are some on it just in case I get stuck and bored out of mind on a train or sat in traffic for hours on end).

I have a mass of news apps and news aggregators.  They might make up 25-30% of all my apps come to think of it. 

The apps I have that are least used are photo editors.  I download them, realise I hate them all, and then never use them.  Pretty much what you said! :roflmao: