pritesh

A3 2.0TDi DSG Starting issues when hot

5 posts in this topic

Hey All, 

Been a while since I posted on the site and I', sure this may be around on the site somewhere but I didn't turn up anything so posting it and hoping someone can help me:

The car is: 2008 (08 plate) A3 2.0 TDi DSG. It has done 80K solid motorway miles. 

Issue: 

The car starts fine if cold (i.e morning or has been left standing for some time). Turning the key and it fires up without issue. However today the wife drove the car to our daughters nursery to collect her (the car had been running for about 50 mins due to traffic so was quite hot and left the car for about 20 mins, returned to go home and the car refused to start. I drove down to look at it and when I turned it over it sounded like a dead battery as it turned once, then all I could hear was a nasty "clicking sound" 

However then a chap gave me a jump with some leads and the car just fired up without issue....? 

once running car was fine, no issue with power loss or anything.....this is the bit I don't get....if it was the starter then why did it fire up when it had jump leads connected to it....?

Anyone got any ideas on what it could be? various threads and people are saying different things:

Do I need a new Battery?

Starter Motor on its way out?

Sensor on its way out? - which one? 

All of the above?

Any help/guidance would be really appreciated as its my daily use car so need to get it ressolved asap. It does get used alot, but service and care it all done on time. 

Thanks in advance. 

Cheers

Pritesh

Dead battery, put a new one in it, then check the alternator is actually charging properly, you should have around 14v across the battery terminals with the engine running.

Edited by Tipex

Battery, battery, or maybe battery, but as Mr T says above just check the alternator is working properly first.

Dead battery, put a new one in it, then check the alternator is actually charging properly, you should have around 14v across the battery terminals with the engine running.

Yep, this +++

Thanks guys, I've dropped in a new battery and seems to be OK, but getting the alternator checked too. 

Cheers

1 person likes this