Best antivirus ?

Scotty

I've got a pain in the arse problem with ad's popping up all over the place.Currently it says it's Ads by shopshop but the name 

keeps changing. I've been running the free ZoneAlarm product. Who's the best retail version?

Edited by Scotty

OSX and BitDefender (not that it really needs it but I use it all the same).

On Windows though....

I have always swayed between AVG and Avast, but the latter has become far too intrusive on a daily basis.  BitDefender on Windows is meant to be good but I haven't tried it (I have stuck with AVG because I seldom use Windows now anyway).  I'd probably opt for BitDefender but Kaspersky products always seem to rank highly too.

• Like 1

I run Microsoft's built in AV 'Security Essentials' on win boxes, it's free and works for me..

In your case I'd empty your browser cache/delete cookies, turn-off the roll back feature and delete the backups (all depending what version your running), then install malwarebytes and scan. If you've still got a problem boot it in safe mode and scan again.

I was using Security Essentials and had issues. I replaced it with ZoneAlarm and it found quite a lot but I still have some thing activating advertising plugins in Chrome.

Have cleared all history, cleared restores versions etc.

I'll let my retail version of ZoneAlarm (free trial) finish it's scan and then try malwarebytes.

I was with AVG for years before without issue.

Thanks chaps.

This reminded me to run a BitDefender Deep Scan.  I also installed Malwarebytes for a quick check too.  All clear.

Malwarebytes helped me with a Windows 2003 Server issue many, many years ago.  It got rid of a problem that no other software would.  I'd forgotten all about it.

On the macbook I use Sophos

On the desktop and laptops I have a 3 user licence for Kaspersky and that is fine (may review as year nearly up)

I have used AVG (free) in the past and it was fine.

I also do run Teatimer as a background from Spybot and when I have had any virus issue run Malawarebytes on demand and it has swept it up.