What car next?

CarMad

That was back in January now ...... so ages ago    

So far, bloody good actually +++    It's now got 8k on the clock so feels "run-in".  :grin:

Not to big to park wherever I need to be, I don't have the reversing camera but tbh visibility is good enough to not need, good turning circle too!   Think the higher seating position helps with this although I don’t ever find reversing a problem anyway in any car.  The engine is a peach and can shift it pretty quick without needing lead boots on, it's more than adequate, infact I royally pi55ed on boy-racer's parade yesterday as he was pretty sure he would go flying past up a long hill we have here and had moved out to lane 3 in anticipation …. it’s quite stealthily fast especially given the size of it (and I didn’t even bother putting it in sport mode!).  Don't seem to get that lag from the gearbox either which is great.  Brakes are spot on too.  Good quality cabin, it's a nice space to be in, nothing too plasticky.  Seats are comfy and supportive, not found any distance to be tiring yet and the ride is quite firm overall but not in a bad way   :)

I do have Bang & Olufsen upgrade, it’s a luxury to have but it is also very good and haven’t found any sound quality issues at any volume yet.    

I also do have the panoramic sunroof which I think is also a must-have!  Rear seats have good leg and head room.   Boot size hasn’t caused us any issues yet either so must be big enough  +++

Not sure I can think of any bad points to say about it really, it’s a typical Audi, I obviously prefer big engined cars and I think they have this one spot on … the engine  just works for this size car to make it not feel big and cumbersome.  It does lack the feel fast factor of the C63 if I compared them side by side, but thats a bit like apples and pears.   

Overall it's a cracking bit of kit, especially for the money  +++

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

What have you got now the 2.0T wasn't it? Do you mean go for one of the diesels instead. I think thats what I might look for, I quite enjoy the torque that mine has to offer and it makes a fairly nice noise for a diesel which helps. 

Definately not one of the diesels - I drove one and tbh I still dislike driving them, Ive ran one for 4 or 5 years now and and glad to be back with a petrol engine.

I mean I wish I'd spent the extra and had the faster petrol.

The  car is great, for a big lump its very agile and I suspect would suprise a lot of people with its handling.  This was a replacement for a X3.  The car handles totally differently from the Q5 that it shares a lot of its underpinnings with which is why we had this rather than the Audi, driving them back to back the diffences are quite marked.

For day to day use the 2.0T has been fine, averaged nearly 35mpg on recet trip (34.8) and is more than fast enough, but on those odd occasions when you want to play it is a bit underpowered, given these days that is less and less then I'll cope.  The 1500 miles drive was effortless, I could easily have got in the car and done it again.

Thinking about Boxster S, probably up to a year or so old or new S3 ( Sportback or Sedan - pros and cons for each)

Currently still have B5 QTS, ( now 16 years old ! , 93k )  wife's and still have my B6 QTS ( only 11 years old and 63k). I no longer buy loads of new cars as income is more restricted than it used to be ( ok ok we are both OAPs now but not in the mind !!) 

Each car only does up to 4k a year,  no commuting, driving on snow/salted roads etc.

So one or both are likely to go, I may even get rid of my one owner from new 80 Sport, however the Boxster is a bit of a bucket list job ( can't justify/want/possibly afford 911 but Boxster would be a positive choice)

Question?

How important are colours for the Porsche ??

- I like the white and there are several available with good specs. The sapphire blue is superb  - but may be a new model year colour, Agate grey is OK, GT silver I love.

My thinking is Boxster for a couple of years, get it out of my system, not loose too much money, and then into something 'more sensible' i.e. S3 not a Micra or Jazz !!

Edited by Chrisg

What are the brakes like?  Have you ever had to 'use' them?  They certainly look outrageous being bigger than those on an RS4

Havn't had to stand on them (yet) but the brakes are on form and certainly up to the job imo +++   I am impressed.  

• Like 1

Question?

How important are colours for the Porsche ??

- I like the white and there are several available with good specs. The sapphire blue is superb  - but may be a new model year colour, Agate grey is OK, GT silver I love.

My thinking is Boxster for a couple of years, get it out of my system, not loose too much money,

I've been watching Porsche prices in Europe for about year as I am/was looking for a 3 year old 911 and the vast marjory of cars are black. The resale price of white/blue is lower and met red even lower although this could be due to their spec. I'd take one in Agate with carerra red interior +++

32812d1375039107-agate-grey-carerra-red-

Edited by Andy_Bangle

Colour combo like that and I'd seriously consider a Cayman!  Luverly  +++

Many of the cheaper cars seem to be a bit poverty specced. Is this a case that loaded means a much better resale price ?

In that case it's most unlike most Audis !

What are the Porsche Centres staff like generally?

I nearly bought one from Reading 12 years ago, ( but bought S3 instead). They were helpful and non pushy, as they were last Saturday or are they just a different league to Audi ( where, in all honesty, I've always been well treated - but I did spend £ 1/4 mil  in about 13 years ! )

Edited by Chrisg

Chris. The important thing about Colour is that you like it ;). It matters on all cars but I wouldn't buy a colour just to help future sale (I appreciate that's stating the obvious),

The S3 and the Boxster will be a great everyday cars, the S3 imo will be thoroughly disappointing compared to the boxster when you want to have fun.

I'd look for lime gold or yellow.

My GT (535) finally departed on Saturday. Didn't go as quickly as I thought but then I was asking reasonable money for it, and when you consider the barrage of 530D's considerably cheaper it's no wonder really. But it only took one person, and he seemed very happy with it.

It was replaced with a C6 RS6 Avant. I'm still trying to decide if I've done the right thing... I think I have. The GT boot just wasn't big enough. The RS6 boot is great. So there's the answer - I HAVE done the right thing. The RS6 is fast. 2-0. It's nowhere near as comfy as the GT, but that's a given I suppose. 2-1. Fuel isn't as bad as I thought, but I am sort of "trying".

It seems I've changed from a nice car, to an exciting car. Suits me - but for how long I wonder... 

Edited by AudiPartner
  • Like 1