Window 10 help section!

Tipex

As the title, I have a couple of issues with Windows 10 presently, so thought I'd start this thread in the hopes some of our resident tech experts may (please) offer their words of wisdom both to myself and anyone else experiencing issues.

My problems are as follows, the first is more trivial, but annoying none the less, the touch pad built in to the laptop no longer functions correctly, the pad itself moves the cursor and the left/right buttons work fine, but the centre button (the up, down, left, right) no longer function correctly.

It won't scroll pages at all, and instead when clicking up moves the cursor and highlights random sections of text, and clicking left or right mimics a normal 'right' mouse button click.

when I go into the settings it lists the device as Synaptics touch pad, but going in to the setting it pops an error message that settings for this device are not present (or something like that) but then loads up the Synaptics settings page anyway, which doesn't have any settings to fix the issue anyway, edge scrolling doesn't work either despite being turned on.

The second issue is that when I right click the windows logo to bring up the menu, it opens, but clicking on any of the options such as 'Control Panel' or Task Manager' etc has no function at all, literally nothing happens.

I've tried Googling for answers but have been unsuccessful, I'm keeping my fingers crossed! 

Edited by Tipex

Unfortunately Windows 10 is so full of bugs that a lot of people are regretting the free upgrade.  We're deferring upgrading any of our PCs at work for at least another 6 months.

Doesn't help much, but if downgrading to W8.1 is an option, then take it and wait.

I can live with it, I guess it's a case of waiting for updated drivers and bug fixes, if it was a work machine then absolutely I'd have waited, but it's only really a minor inconvenience and the whole process was pretty easy, taking about an hour from start to finish.

I have found another issue.

Whenever I turn the laptop on, it refuses to connect to our WiFi, despite having the correct password etc.

It seems to constantly tick the 'connect automatically' box on every random WiFi network it can find, the only way to connect to my own network is to go through and untick that box on every other network, try to connect again, at which point it will say 'unable to connect to network'.

Then I have to run the trouble shooter which will find a network adapter problem, fix it, and then it will work, I have to do this every time I turn on the computer, bit frustrating to say the least, and I know I'm going to get phone calls from the Mrs when I finally decide to go back to work!

Well I've managed to sort the touch pad buttons, Synaptics released a win 10 driver, not for my specific touch pad, but it works anyway and now I've assigned the functions to the four way scrolling button it is behaving as it should, with edge scrolling and all the various tap functions too.

Still having issues with the Start menu when right clicking it, clicking on most of the options within it results in nothing happening, the only way I can get in to control panel or device manager etc is by typing it in the search bar.

And I still have to reset the wireless adapter (via diagnose a problem) every time I turn on the computer or it fails to connect to the WiFi.

Otherwise it all seems ok, can't really say I'm overly impressed with 10, I was expecting a huge change but it doesn't seem very different from 8.1 really, aside from not having the tile menu thing anymore, well, it's still there just a lot smaller and within the Start Menu, I only ever used 8.1 in desktop mode anyway so other than the icons changing a bit, and the slide out menus disappearing, I can't tell much difference.

Edited by Tipex

I think of it as enhanced 8.1. It certainly doesn't feel like a totally new environment...which is fine.

Yup, I'd agree with that, I do think it's better, certainly on a non touch screen device.

Having to push the pointer over to the side/corner of the screen was pretty irritating.

I have found another issue.

Whenever I turn the laptop on, it refuses to connect to our WiFi, despite having the correct password etc.

It seems to constantly tick the 'connect automatically' box on every random WiFi network it can find, the only way to connect to my own network is to go through and untick that box on every other network, try to connect again, at which point it will say 'unable to connect to network'.

Then I have to run the trouble shooter which will find a network adapter problem, fix it, and then it will work, I have to do this every time I turn on the computer, bit frustrating to say the least, and I know I'm going to get phone calls from the Mrs when I finally decide to go back to work!

I am finding that sporadically on my netbook (have to disconnect and reconnect) not always

Re connecting to loads of networks - if I recall you need to turn OFF "wifi sense" and it should stop doing this.

The netbook I upgraded seems fine

will probably have a go at one of the laptops in the coming months - might let a few of the niggles get resolved first.

I do generally like it

I am finding that sporadically on my netbook (have to disconnect and reconnect) not always

Re connecting to loads of networks - if I recall you need to turn OFF "wifi sense" and it should stop doing this.

The netbook I upgraded seems fine

will probably have a go at one of the laptops in the coming months - might let a few of the niggles get resolved first.

I do generally like it

I did turn off WiFi Sense, but I should probably check it's still turned off, I've noticed Win 10 seems to have a habit of changing settings of it's own accord.

The driver for the touch pad works fine until randomly it stops working and I have to click 'roll back driver' to get the functions back again.

It's the manufacturer of the touchpad, Synaptics.

The laptop is actually quite old, but it was top of the range when I bought it, hence it can still handle the new OS, it was designed to use Windows Vista, and is no longer supported by Acer due it's age (8 years old I think), so drivers can be tricky to find.

• 2 weeks later...

Totally ****ed off with W10 now. Family safety, which worked perfectly in 8 doesnt work. Microsoft have totally ****ed up here in my opinion. I had blocked sites, limited apps and time limits, none of which work after the 'upgrade'. Ive been through every workaround i could read on the web to no avail. Microsoft think its acceptable that the only way your child can become part of family safety is for you to email them an invitation. WT Actual F? So annoyed, i returned to 8.1 earlier, presented its own issues which ive resolved most of but guess what, Family Safety is still ****ed. Cant change a local account to a child account because it can't connect to family safety 'right now', still thinks it trying to monitor a W10 laptop, her 8.1 account seems to have disappeared...not blocking chosen sites. Utter waste of time and about 3 hours pissing about that i wont ever get back.

Sometimes, i utterly ****ing detest windows and if it hadn't been for the fact its my daughters laptop, it would have gone across the room or through the window tonight.

Hmm.  I have acquired a Dell laptop.  I have installed Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate on it.

Am I right in thinking I could upgrade to Windows 10 free of charge or have I misread that?

Even if I can (it'd run it no problem, as it has an i5 processor and 4gb of RAM, and the compatibility check comes through fine), should I bother?

I wouldn't personally, I've come to the conclusion that it's not really Windows 10 at all, it's more like 8.5.

And given 8 is crap, it's not much better, I still have all the issues I've raised in this thread, I thought i'd sorted the touchpad problem but it reappears every time Windows does an update, it installs a newer (but less functional) driver, and there is no way of telling it not to any more.

I guess part of the problem is the age of my laptop, but I'm not overly impressed.

Yes and yes.

I have it running on a netbook and it's great.

Presumably this isn't a mission critical machine anyway so you have little to lose?

It isn't mission critical and will rarely get used.  It will be a No.3 emergency machine.  However, I don't want to install something that will do my head in.

Any machine I used will end up having stuff I don't want to lose on it and whilst it'll be backed up, it is inconvenience that I want to avoid more than anything (i.e. once I start using it, any problem will be an inconvenience).

I also admit I sighed an old sigh when I'd installed W7 and got the constant stream of "Windows is installing 53 updates...." each time I went to restart it....

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

You will need to install about a gazillion updates for it to accept Win10 but my rationale is why not take advantage of the offer to upgrade - perhaps defer it until December for it to stabilise a little.

I confess as I am stlll doing work with the Vaio at least as much as on the mbp I am holding off upgrading just now, but hope to do so

I really like Windows 10. Yes, as Tipex says Windows 8 was not good - but 8.1 was definitely an improvement.

Windows 10 is fast to boot up, and IMO just works. the machine i use it on most is my laptop which is brand new. It has updated on my wife's older Dell laptop and it's much faster than it was with Win7, no driver issues (and it has a Synaptics touch pad). All my applications are working just fine not sure what else to say really....

We have started to test the LTSB enterprise edition at work - we will roll it out to all machines by the end of Q2 next year. We have lots to test but the initial basic testing is going very well with nothing major found at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...