Apple's Spaceship Grey 12" Macbook

Rachel

Well, a chap who left work today for greener pastures bought one of these at lunchtime, and I must say it is a beautiful piece of engineering...

I always lusted after the original 12" Powerbook, and now it has been reborn, with a single USB 3.x Type C connector for everything (power, connectivity, display etc).

I think that instead of a new 'droid tablet, or iPad, I shall be getting one of these.

Anyone else had a good look/play with one?

• Like 1

I had a play with one the other day at my local Apple store, it is indeed a marvel of engineering/design.

For me its just not powerful enough compared to my mid-2010 MacBook Pro.

If Apple decided to make a Pro version in this design with a bigger 15" Retina screen I would be tempted.

I am looking forward to the upcoming MacBook Pro 2016 model at the moment.

The lack of retina display is the main reason I would always choose an MBP over an Air.

It makes a colossal difference when pausing adult-based films on the close-up shots.

Right, I see....

Edited by JonC
  • Like 2

I have one. Great devices but you need to be careful how you pitch it - it'll either be brilliant or a massive disappointment. For me it's a more powerful and capable iPad replacement that I use as a travel buddy. Used like that it's brilliant.

It does struggle running Windows virtualised in Parallels a bit - but it is workable. If I know I'm going to be working at a desk all day I certainly wouldn't use this, I'd take my 15" or 13" rMBP, they're just so much faster.

But for out and about, meetings, media etc. it's awesome - I.e. A super capable iPad. The screen is ace. You can see comparative benchmarks here

Riz, as I said - replace any desire to do a tablet upgrade - it's no replacing my work machine.

JonC - it is physically smaller than an Air, and has a retina display which the Air does not - also the newer cooler keyboard.

Then it's a winner of a device +++

• Like 1

It does struggle running Windows virtualised in Parallels a bit - but it is workable.

Mac I am looking at buying a member of the family something for a work on the go scenario in Uni and also for field trips abroad, and they need a full windows package including publisher

I was considering the new 12" Mac but from your comments reference Windows OS would it be advisable to go for something like a DEll 13 XPS instead or maybe a Lenovo Yoga 900?

Any advice would be very much appreciated

I've got a Dell XPS 13 that at the time was supplied with their Next day support as standard. I used it twice. One when the video card failed which was common and an issue of Nvidia's creation and another when a power plug failed. 

Both times they came the next working day to work and replaced the components whilst I waited, compared to Apple support on the whole it was night and day better. I believe that level of support is a big premium now but they still sometimes have big discounts on the higher support levels. 

As for purchasing I've always gone direct and this model happened to be from the refurb store on dells site. Its some 7 years old now and it still works (and is no slouch) and the wife uses it on occasions. 

I used Dell service about 5-6 years ago and two PC's I bought for the business.  On both occasions it was to replace failed motherboards.  They were out within 24 hours on the first and 48 hours on the second.  Because the 48 hours was outside of the next or same-day business service I'd paid for, they extended the warranty for a further year.

The service overall was very good indeed.

• 3 weeks later...

Well a month after he bought it, he is flipping it as he just bought (Thursday last week) the new DELL XPS 13 with the 3200x1800 bezel-less display.

Been offered it with a clean El Capitan install and a combo dongle with receipts (for Apple Care and maybe "cough" tax) for $1600.  He paid almost $2200 (this is the 256GB SSD version).

Why not...  a new tablet (replacement) for surfing the holidays.   :coffee:

Ahah, then his usage models were completely mismatched to the unit then by the look of it then?

Why not...  a new tablet (replacement) for surfing the holidays.    :coffee:

For that expectation it's a great device - I used it for that and taking the photos off my phone/camera while travelling.