BMW 125i

Torino101

After a long test drive, put a deposit down on this today. Take delivery on Friday. A 2015 Auto 125i BMW 5 door hatch. It's done 1200 miles. It's a non M-Sport, which is a shame looks wise, but found the ride SO much better without the M-Sport suspension, especially with the runflats. Also means 17" wheels as opposed to 18's. 

The engine is a peach from what I can tell, incredibly smooth and refined for a 4 and properly punchy, suspect in time it will get a remap to take it from 215 bhp up to the 328 level of 240 or 250bhp seeing as it's exactly the same engine just detuned. Should be a bit of a handful then!

Sorry for the crappy pic quality, from Autotrader atm! 

post-4107-0-84963900-1447526075_thumb.jp

post-4107-0-36935100-1447526088_thumb.jp

post-4107-0-63330900-1447526091_thumb.jp

post-4107-0-08253000-1447526095_thumb.jp

post-4107-0-35284000-1447526098_thumb.jp

The deal clincher for me, I don't know if it's the same in the UK as am now out of touch, is that the car comes with a 5 year motorplan, this means EVERYTHING bar tyres is paid for for 5 years, even usual consumables such as brake pads etc. you don't have to worry about anything, also 5 years roadside assist, so they"ll come fetch you and sort the car wherever whenever. I was pretty impressed with that offering I must admit. Covered until 2020. 

Edited by Torino101
  • Like 3

EVERYTHING bar tyres is paid for for 5 years, even usual consumables such as brake pads etc. you don't have to worry about anything, also 5 years roadside assist, so they"ll come fetch you and sort the car wherever whenever.

Wow.  That's pretty good!

• Like 1

EldestMissMe's boyfriend recently bought a VW Golf, a new Mark 7.  I'm surprised you think the interior of it is better than the 125i because I think it isn't even in the same league.  Perhaps there is a big difference between the Bluemotion diesel and the GTi on trim, I don't know, but I think it is very low rent in appearance and feel.

I've always preferred the look of M Sport models and the additional trim level you get with them, but I think it is very much a personal thing and they do hold a price premium over non-M Sport models, so if the deal is right and you don't like the M Sport suspension then I can understand why you'd go down that route.

To be honest it's not the only consideration. Money comes into it as well!!

Naturally, it does with us all!  +++

It's why I keep wondering where my Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Rolls Royce, Bentley and Pagani are. :roflmao:

The M Sport has always had a fairly high price difference to the SE or other named lines below it, both new and used.  You've still got the same engine and superb gearbox though (and pretty much 85-90% of everthing else).+++

For those who have tuned their cars in the past, I get an ecu remap done on the car, as it seems crazy not to as it's a 28 engine being artificially slightly restrained to a 25 engine, can it be done so as to not flag to BMW and therby have issues with warranty??

I had my Z4 35i tuned from 306 to 372 hp.  Most of that being a remap with a little more coming from a new air intake.

My limited advice to be absolutely sure would be to do what I did.

Buy the connecting port, get the remap on your laptop with the software they provide with it.  Map the car using your laptop, to the tuned state.  Then, whenever it needs to go to the dealer, use the laptop again to reinstall the old map. 

Done.+++

• Like 1

I Revo'd my GTi and the VW servicing dealer was non the wiser. There is the potential that they flash the ECU if it's flagged during a routine service, but some remaps can be engaged and disengaged via a plug in (via OBDII) device that is meant to be oblivious to the dealers thus avoiding any potential warranty issues. From memory, my VW dealer may have been aware that my car was remapped.

Yup, it was an OBDII plug in that I used with my Evolve remap.

You can call them to talk you through the process if you need to but to be perfectly honest it couldn't be easier as long as you follow the instructions step by step. 

It took me about 5 minutes to put the old map back on and the same to put the car back to how I wanted it once it was back from the dealers.  I think I did the process at least 4-5 times. 

I paid around £750 or something like that for the remap and the OBDII kit.  It was very impressive indeed.