Home Security

fatcat

Afternoon,

Planning for the BIG PROJECT, what sort of home security should I be considering (apart from a fecking big hungry hound), not thinking about door window sensors more just thinking about cameras and instant notifications of visitors (I recall Daz having a type of system like this some time ago), the nearest I can find to what I think I want is by Yale.

Any suggestions or experience ?

Y-Cam Home Monitor HD Pro. (1080p)

Superb system.  Trip zones, remote access, iPhone/iPads apps etc, motion sensing (and you can configure how sensitive multiple trip zones are on a single camera), notifications by phone or email, active time settings, you name it, it does it and very well indeed.  I have used CCTV for as long as I can remember and haven't found anything comes close to what Y-Cam offer.

You can add cameras to it over time and you get 7 days cloud recording FOC with the ability download or mark recordings as you see fit.

Can't recommend it enough.+++

I have had Y Cam cameras and wasn't that impressed by the picture or the interface but mine pre-dated the Home Monitor range so maybe they addressed this.

We now have the Netgear Arlo system and it is brilliant.

The cameras are battery powered and as long as you have a wi-fi signal in the location you want to place it, it can go anywhere. We have the three camera system. Two on the rear of the house and one on the front. I installed in mid July and have only had to change the batteries on the front camera once as this is the one that is activated most by people coming and going. The app is brilliant and pings and notifies you every time it detects movement if you want it to.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arlo-Smart-Home-Security-VMS3330-100EUS/dp/B00TDNYNN0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449498433&sr=8-1&keywords=arlo

The Y-Cam HD Pro range is, as the name suggests, 1080p (or you can set it to 720p).  The old Y-Cam system was nowhere near HD quality and you're spot on that the picture wasn't very good at all.

I have hard wired mine (you can use WiFi if you want to). 

I couldn't go for battery powered cameras.  I'd be forever changing them with the amount of coming and going, foxes, birds, you name it. 

There are so many products in the market now, from fully fledged wired in systems, systems such as those mentioned above, down to little bird cameras that stick to the wall wherever you want to leave them.

Even systems like the Nest thermostat when linked to the Nest cam can send you notifications etc, it's a minefield at the moment with so many different systems being integrated, who'd have thought room stat would be the building blocks of a home automation system?

I am looking at a outdoor CCTV setup too but with my limited (uber slow) broadband connection I am stuck for options.

Really wanted to get the NetGear Arlo but they don't have recording to NAS options etc.

Looking at a cheaper indoor option for the time being until BT sort out the broadband for the area.....

Annke SP1 Wireless IP Cam

http://www.annke.com/smart-wireless-security/annke-sp1-hd-wireless-ip-camera.html

Will record to microSD card. :)

If it's just indoor, i have got the Belkin Wemo cams and also Wemo switches. HD and good quality but recording is an issue and you can't rotate cams remotely.

Can just pick up the mobile anywhere with a 4g and see what's going on. It has 2 way microphone/speaker too.

Great for scaring the wife in the kitchen and telling her that she isn't cooking something correctly :grin:

http://www.wemo.com/

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Soulboy said:

Bump.....

Any recent experience for outdoor cctv?

My old fella wants to get a system and has asked for input from me.

Netgear Arlo.  It's absolutely brilliant.  Wireless cameras you can put anywhere and the router box has got fantastic range.  I was skeptical before I bought the whole setup, but having seen four other people bite the bullet first, I'm really impressed.  Motion sensor based and it'll e-mail you if it senses motion and records in 10 second chunks.  All uploaded to the cloud automatically and it's even got a beta release of Geofencing, so it can switch the cameras on and off when you leave/arrive back home.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Soulboy said:

Bump.....

Any recent experience for outdoor cctv?

My old fella wants to get a system and has asked for input from me.

I've got a hikvision set up and if you like can give you the details of the guy who supplied and fitted for me?

he's security cleared for banks but does these on weekends etc

lives local in Cheadle 

• Like 1

Y-Cam HD Pro. 

Does all the same stuff as the likes of Arlo, 2 trip zones per camera, adjustable levels of motion sensitivity, full audio recording, 1080p, wireless or full wired (my system is wired), email and text alerts, times for the zones to work, days of the week, cloud-based storage (7 days free), excellent night vision, live view of multiple cameras, blah blah blah.

More expensive that Arlo but, in my view anyway, worth every penny.  

p.s. I'm not knocking the Arlo system as I know it is a good one too. 

p.p.s. Y-Cam have recently released an alarm system that integrates with the CCTV system.  Window and door trips, alerts, all the same stuff as with the cameras and if you've got the cameras set not to record but the alarm triggers, it'll automatically trigger the cameras too.  

Edited by NewNiceMrMe
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just got a new system for the office car park after some scrote stole the glass from my driver's door mirror. 

Having phoned the dealer to find out the cost of a replacement glass I found out why he stole it: £385!!!! Just the glass, not the whole bloody mirror! Got it for £320 after discount but still feel like I have been robbed twice. 

Amyway, got a fantastic service and advice from www.cctvfirst.co.uk 

I can zoom in from my phone and see individual blades of grass the quality is that good. Four camera system with 2tb drive was £325. Once it was fitted it was just a matter of scanning a QR code to get online. 

They are definitely worth talking to if anyone wants a system.