Prescription glasses for driving

garcon magnifique

Thought I'd split this out from the M3 thread.

Having just had an eye test I now have a new prescription. Good news is my sight has only deteriorated slightly, so I still use specs just for driving, tv, watching live sport etc. Don't wear any for day to day or reading.

I've got a pair of specs with clear lenses on order for tv and driving at night. What I need is another pair for driving in daylight and other outdoors stuff that I actually want to see at distance.

I understand the advantages of polarised lenses for cutting out glare and reflection, definitely an advantage for driving in certain conditions. I did wonder whether that might also make it more difficult to see wet/damp patches on the road. And although new digital dash and info displays seem to be ok, polarised lenses render HUD invisible.

Bearing in mind I do most of my driving in the UK rather than California, are polarised lenses actually worthwhile? Transitions Drivewear look very sexy but so does a head up display.

Which led me to wonder, as polarised lenses and HUD appear to be mutually exclusive, which is actually the better safety device in our weather and on our busy roads?

P.S. I have reached the conclusion that the biggest problem with the internet is that there is far too much information on EVERYTHING and most of it is wrong.

(So here's to adding more. :P )

I have polarised lenses, can't say I really notice any difference to normal lenses other than looking at the 'check out our amazing polarised lenses' display in the shops.

Mine are Maui Jim so hardly cheap ones either, probably won't bother with polarised next time.

Most displays are fine with polarised lenses these days too, not many you can't see, only really older stuff.

I have had polarising prescription sunglasses for years. I never had any problems with the HUD on my E60.

I only have a problem with the shiny visor on my race helmet. It's slightly shaded and I think has a polarising filter of its own, so the two interfere.

Two polarising filters will clash, a lot of LCD screens use polarising filters on the screen, our taxi computers in the car use them as they are fairly old tech, it's normally the orientation of the filters that makes them clash.

If you rotate one of them the screen normally becomes visible again at about 45 degrees, obviously you can't rotate glasses inside a helmet, though.

I'm sure you'll all be hugely relieved to know that after a tiresome... sorry, tireless amount of (subsequently ignored) reading on the internet and another visit to the opticians, I have solved the specs conundrum by ordering a pair with Transitions XTRActive lenses. These go from almost clear (legal for driving at night) to about 50% tint in the car (reacting to visible light) and then on to about 80% tint outdoors - which is as dark as most sunnies and darker than any previous photochromic lens. Seemed to be the best all round solution given how rarely we actually see the sun in the UK. :uhoh:

(And actually quite cheap for my simple prescription. +++ )

Edited by garcon magnifique

I have "normal" transition lens - they are a grey tint.

When it is cloudy but a reasonable day you look up to the sky and it looks like it is quite a dark and threatening sky.  Mention this to the people you are with and they look at you strangely - you then look without your glasses and realise the tint is making the sky look worse!  (this happens quite often to me!)

• 2 months later...

Very happy with them. +++

Just enough tint in the car ... given that on the few occasions we do see the sun here in the grim north it's usually weak and low in the sky. :uhoh:

Full tint in bright sunshine out of the car, which is ace until you go inside and realise these lenses never lighten/darken anywhere near as fast as they do in the adverts. :P

• Like 1