Sonos wireless speakers

burble

Has anyone on here got any real world experience of either the Sonos Play 1 or Play 3?

I ask because we're getting close to having our extension and kitchen finished and I've had the sparky put some sockets above the high level kitchen units as I wanted some sort of speaker up there.  I didn't get speakers installed as I want to play stuff from my iPhone without having to plug it into anything so wireless speakers are what I want.

My plan is to get either a pair of Sonos Play 1 or a pair of Sonos Play 3's.  Being a bloke and knowing that 3 is a bigger number than 1, logic dictates that I go for a pair of Play 3's but I'm wondering if a pair of 1's would be good enough.  I'm not after amazing sound but I don't want something that's totally lacking in bass.

I'm open to other brands too, I suggested Sonos because it's a brand I've heard of.

Ive got one in the kitchen and my daughter has one in her bedroom (both for background music) but if you pair them up in the same room, they are very loud when you crank them up!

The only thing I would say is that you need to be careful what surface they are standing on - the sound when stood on the windowsill is completely different to when it is on the granite work surface.

Edited by Pincher

Thanks for the replies.  I was thinking that a pair of 1's would be good enough and it sounds like that thought was right.

The plan is that they'll sit on top of the high level work tops as I want them out of sight.  I think my other half would object if there were 2 of them chewing up space on the worktops.  I guess I could move them about a bit to see where they sound best and maybe putting them on a granite chopping board on top of the high level units would sound good?

Also regard the moving them about to get the best sound.....

If you run the Sonos app on an apple i-thing, you can programme in the room and it then tunes them to the specific room.

I came from a separates system with large Wharfedale and KEF speakers and I can honestly say the Play 1s hold there own, although they don't get as LOUD as a decent amp driven system.

Edited by Soulboy

Dampener such as a bit of carpet square under. It should stop resonance through the cabinet shells.

Be weary of putting things above kitchen wall cabinets. Most cabinets (over months) sited near the cooking tend to get a film of grease. Grease on speakers isn't the best for longevity.

Two good points there - thanks.

One of them would be going fairly near the hob so grease and crap is a concern.  The hob is in the middle of the worktop so whilst I can move the unit around quite some distance it'll still end up not too far from the hob.  I guess I'll whack it up there and ask the cleaners to do the top of the kitchen units once a month or so.  They'll love that.

• Like 1

Also regard the moving them about to get the best sound.....

If you run the Sonos app on an apple i-thing, you can programme in the room and it then tunes them to the specific room.

Ooh, I like the sound of that.

Right, time to to order a couple of Play 1's then!

Quote:

Every room sounds different.

Thanks to Trueplay, that’s changed.

Trueplay makes your Sonos system even smarter. It analyses any room, then adjusts how each speaker produces sound.

Trueplay Tuning works with your PLAY:1, PLAY:3 and PLAY:5. It just takes a few minutes and an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. And if you’ve already Trueplay tuned your home, you know how easy it is to get spot-on playback of what the artist recorded.

Open your Sonos app.

From the Music menu, choose Settings > Room Settings.

Pick a room.

Select the room where you’ve placed your speaker.

Tap Trueplay Tuning.

Then follow the in-app instructions.

Also, have a look at What hi-fi say about Sonos....

http://www.whathifi.com/sonos/system/review

Edited by Soulboy
  • Like 1

Two good points there - thanks.

One of them would be going fairly near the hob so grease and crap is a concern. The hob is in the middle of the worktop so whilst I can move the unit around quite some distance it'll still end up not too far from the hob. I guess I'll whack it up there and ask the cleaners to do the top of the kitchen units once a month or so. They'll love that.

Is there any chance of mounting them on the wall above the units? Flexson are quite good for Play 1 brackets and stands - have a search on Amazon or eBay +++

http://www.flexson.com

Edited by Pincher