BMW M760Li xDrive

Andy_Bangle

Alpina B7 xDrive or BMW M760Li xDrive

The M760i uses a twin-turbo 6.6-litre V12 capable of an estimated 600 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 590 pound-feet of torque at 1,500 rpm. Thing is, the Alpina B7 also makes 600 hp and 590 lb-ft, albeit at higher points in the rev range, from a twin-turbo 4.4-litre V8. Both cars use all-wheel drive. Both cars have eight-speed automatic transmissions. But while the M760i does the 0-62 run in 3.9 seconds and tops out at an electronically limited 155 miles per hour, the Alpina does 0-60 in 3.6 seconds and runs to an unrestricted 193 mph.

The S65 still has more power than this and it's been out for 3 years now, The S8 plus has only a 4.0L twin-turbo V8 and makes more power than the B7 and 760M.

Can't wait till the first the head-to-head reviews, someone give Chris Harris a call  :grin:

Here's hoping fuel prices are still low in 2019 +++

1024x1024.jpg

023-bmw-m760li.jpg

Edited by Andy_Bangle

For the vegans out there, there's the BMW 740e line-up which consists of the 'regular' 740e iPerformance, the 740Le iPerformance and the all-wheel drive740Le xDrive iPerformance.

From the press release:

These three plug-in hybrid derivatives of the 7-Series utilise a twin-turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine mated to an electric motor. All up, this combination results in a total of 326 hp while offering an all-electric range of 40 km (25 miles) for the 740e and 740Le iPerformance and 37 km (23 miles) for the al-wheel drive model. 

The internal combustion engine itself provides 258 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque between 1,250 rpm and 4,800 rpm, allowing the hybrid 7-Series models to accelerate to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 5.5 to 5.7 seconds (depending on spec). 

Of more importance however is the fact that the vehicles sip just 2.1-2.3 litres of fuel per 100 km (134.5 mpg) over the combined cycle while emitting 49 grams of CO2 emissions per kilometer. 

Charging the 9.2 kWh battery will take less than four hours from a domestic power socket and under three hours when charged through a BMW i Wallbox. 
Edited by Andy_Bangle

Can't imagine they'll sell many, I'm struggling to decide between the M and the Alpina, I would normally sway towards M, even though I do love Alpina in general, but in this case I'm not sure.

Same performance (close enough as makes no difference), so the deciding factor has be everything else, handling the Alpina will take it due to having much less weight in the nose, also on MPG the V8 has to be more economical than the V12, otherwise I'd imagine they spec almost identically, so the answer has to be Alpina, doesn't it?

The problem with that answer is, the V12 has a V12.

• Like 1

I'd probably get away with never having to charge it, assuming it charges in the car all day? Probably not if keyless entry?

But just another device to remember to plug in, it is cool, and I'd like it for 5 minutes, but I don't need a screen on my key, you can probably do most of it on the BMW app anyway.

Didn't the W220 Mercedes S klasse (1998-2006 shape) have a twin turbo V12 in the S600 - and the later S65?

Respect to BMW for still offering a V12!  I'm sure the only reason they offer it still is because they already have it their Rolls Royce models