WU15 KGE - Audi A6 Avant thingy

NewNiceMrMe

You sir, if you ever read this, are the biggest ****er I have seen on the roads for a while.

A1, Southbound, around 4.00pm on Wednesday 24th February 2016.

Just what is it about your A6 of Awesomeness that makes you think it is acceptable to harang, harass and try to intimidate every other driver on the road for miles to get out of your way?

I watched you weaving in and out of traffic in my rear view mirror for a good few miles.  Maybe as many as 10 miles.  Perhaps you managed to undertake at least 15 cars?  You must be soooooo proud to have achieved that in heavy traffic.

Then, you found yourself behind me in a long line of traffic.  All of us going nowhere fast because of the volume of cars.

Oh but wait, no.  Just before you slotted your car in behind mine you'd almost forced a woman off the road in her blue Fiat 500, hadn't you?  Yes, there you were, having done it to numerous other vehicles and been flashed by at least two, you decided to show your masculinity and Schumacher (Ralf) like skill by nudging her as far to the central reservation as you could before she was forced to brake and let you in.

The problem is that I'd been watching this.  Up until the point you tried killing the innocent woman, I was all set to wait until I'd passed the 3-4 HGV's and pull in (if I could) to then pull back out and let you on your merry little way.

Instead, I decided to **** your plans up.

That's right, I deliberately avoided letting you past for as long as I found entertaining.  Yes, I also slowed enough to see you getting visibly upset in your A6 of Awesomeness.

You're a Grade A Tosser.  A ****er.  A twat.  A man who seems to think he owns the roads and should be given priority over all over vehicles.

Eventually, I allowed you past.

You didn't like me looking at you and applauding as you went past, did you?

Then, you completed your ****ing display by doing what?

That's right, you pulled in....because your junction, the A47 for Peterborough, was about 300 yards ahead of where you'd overtaken me!

Had I known this I'd have stayed alongside you to avoid you taking it.

You ****ing idiot.

• Like 3

Agreed .

I dont understand why anyone wants to make their drive harder or more stressful than it already is by darting in and out of traffic .

Relax, sit back and everyone will get there safely and happier .

With the mileage I do I regularly get asked if traffic jams or traffic in general gets to me. 

The only time I get a bit on edge is if I need a pee or I'm low on fuel. I can't change traffic jams so why stress about it??

I have been thinking about the number of cars and length of road I have said he undertook or was weaving in and out for - I have no doubt at all that I have vastly underestimated it. 

It may have been 15-20 miles.  It may have been 30+ cars.

That's not counting the number of times he didn't manage to eek his way into gaps either.

I've not seen driving like it for a long time. 

The way he bullied the Fiat 500 out of the way was the final straw. 

There are some long straights on the last few miles down to the A47 junction and it was there in particular where I was able to see the extent to which he was prepared to bully people.  In and out, in and out, undertaking 6-7 cars to try to find a gap, dropping back, inching his way in.

One last thing - I didn't see a single flash of an indicator.  Not once. 

He must have been at least 50 years old, possibly 55+.  I'm not sure why, but the car and driver just didn't seem to fit the type of behaviour he was exhibiting.  if he'd been flashing people out of the way then I might have thought it was some form of emergency but I don't think it was (I never saw him flashing anyone).

If there had been any police in the vicinity then I've no doubt he'd have been in very serious trouble.

With the mileage I do I regularly get asked if traffic jams or traffic in general gets to me. 

The only time I get a bit on edge is if I need a pee or I'm low on fuel. I can't change traffic jams so why stress about it??

Between Wednesday and last night I did 809 miles. 

Like you, I just sit there cruising along and try not to get too flustered.  Traffic jams are never nice, but if traffic is moving at a decent speed (and we were never below 60 mph and usually at 70 mph), what is there to get stressed over?  You're never going to get somewhere sooner by driving like he was.  You're much more likely to get there later or never.

I am kind of hoping he's an Audi forum bloke so that he'll explain why he did this.  It is probably highly unlikely given the way he was driving because I doubt any car enthusiastic would ever do it.

I'd simply like to know what was so fecking urgent that he was prepared to almost smash the woman in the Fiat 500 into the central reservation over it (not to mention all the cars he could have hit before even getting to that stage).

Same here NNMM.  I just sit along and cruise.  If I set off on time, then I'll get there when I get there.

Every now and again I think everyone has a bad journey that impacts arrival time and can cause issues.  That said, if you allow for UK roads these days, it shouldn't be too frequent.

The M25, M6, M1 and M60/62 can sometimes be roads that cause delays even a substantial journey time allowance won't make up for.  I can understand when people getting annoyed with that but driving like a loon isn't going to make things any better.

I find myself getting a bit frustrated if I think I'm going to be to client premises.  Most days I allow between 45-60 over and above what Google Liarmaps will tell me. 

One thing I know is that you've a lot less risk being late by driving than you have by using public transport!

We all have emergencies from time to time, I've been there.  But you ask people to move for you - you don't force them.  You use indicators and lights.  You drive quickly but courteously.

And you don't push people into the central reservation.

• Like 1

Over the last three journeys it has taken me over 4 hours to cover 40 miles. Or rather what should be 40 miles but ended up being rather more due to various diversions.

I'm getting the ****ing train next week. :uhoh:

By contrast, I covered 252 miles last night (leaving Stevenage at peak time - 5.20pm) in 4 hours 10 minutes.

I should add 25 minutes to that for the commuter train from KGX, so a total time from London to home of 4 hours 35 minutes.

I've done the trip home from Stevenage in 30 minutes less than it took last night on a number of occasions.

If I took the train it'd be 25 minutes to NCL and 25 minutes back from NCL.  So there's 50 minutes (on a good day).

Add a time of 3 hours on the train and you've got 4 hours (again, on a good day with no delays).

The extra 45 minutes it took last night could be as low as 5 minutes due to the peak time and also the fact the A1 was shut at Scotch Corner, which added more time as I had to take the A19.

That 5 to 45 minutes isn't worth it for one huge reason - the trains rarely run on time and are often subject to major delay or cancellation because of the length of the trip.

I twice arrived at NCL about 18 months ago to find services cancelled.  That leaves a very unhappy client in London.

Then you have the fact it is now £432 plus parking to do the above via Virgin East Coast.

On average, the same trip will cost me around £180 if I do it by going down the night before and staying in a Premier Inn.   If I look at running costs and depreciation in full, I could push that up to around £250 if I was being very, very harsh on the costs of the 520d.

It's a no brainer in my case.+++

p.s. plus I don't have to share most of my journey with others! :roflmao:

I've learnt over the years that when ever I make appointments to see customers I always add "traffic allowing" to the end of the time. 

As I cover M62/M60/M6 they always understand things can go wrong and rarely do I arrive to an annoyed reception .

I've learnt over the years that when ever I make appointments to see customers I always add "traffic allowing" to the end of the time. 

As I cover M62/M60/M6 they always understand things can go wrong and rarely do I arrive to an annoyed reception .

It's a good policy but not something I can do, unfortunately.  When I'm going to places I have anything up to 20 people sat there waiting.  Hence why I allow so much extra travel time.

I do have a clause that they're aware of that give me a degree of protection for short delays, but anything beyond 30 minutes would be a major issue.  Beyond an hour and I start compensating them financially.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

Google maps is about the worst predictor of journey length I've ever used, it's also awful as a sat nav.

Someone tried to bully me in France in a similar way last summer, not sure if they thought they could push in because of my English plate, or because they expect the driver of an MPV to be more placid, but boy did they pick the wrong car.

235k miles of not giving a f*cks worth of dents and scratches might have warned them off but no, closer and closer they got until we were literally a hairs breadth apart, at which point I just didn't bother stopping.

Dragged my bumper all the way down the side of his car and carried on, imagine my surprise when we finally parked up a while later and there wasn't even a scratch on my bumper, same couldn't be said for most of one side of his car according to Mrs T who was sitting on that side.

Google maps is about the worst predictor of journey length I've ever used, it's also awful as a sat nav.

Hence why I always refer to it as Google Liarmaps.+++

Occasionally, it'll not be too far off.  However, even with live traffic now, I find it is often vastly optimistic about journey times.

Had I known this I'd have stayed alongside you to avoid you taking it.

I did that to a guy once. He'd been sitting in the outside lane despite the other lanes being empty. Indicators on etc hadn't worked. I moved over to the middle lane and he did also so I assumed he'd got the message. When I pulled out to pass he moved back out. I took a flyer and passed him in lane 1. When I got to the junction there was traffic building up and he decided he'd try and cut in. I forced him to stay off the slip road so he ended up on the hard shoulder. I saw him stop and seemingly consider reversing before he booted it forwards up the motorway.

It's such a shame that on the M11 the distance between junctions is so big :)

[edited : iPhone was crap at understanding my mind :) )

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 4

I don't use Google maps as Sat Nav often, but when I do, such as this weekend, I find it impeccably efficient, re-routing if needs be with live updates. There's always some twat on the road and the motorway does tend to give them the speed and space to put lives at risk. Heavy traffic scenarios tend to bring the worse out in drivers. On Monday, a woman in a RR rammed my bike from behind twice to encourage me to move on (which I couldn't do as the roundabout was grid-locked) before speeding off at motorway speeds after the traffic had cleared. The MET are dealing with her anger issues

Edited by JonC

I don't use Google maps as Sat Nav often, but when I do, such as this weekend, I find it impeccably efficient, re-routing if needs be with live updates. There's always some twat on the road and the motorway does tend to give them the speed and space to put lives at risk. Heavy traffic scenarios tend to bring the worse out in drivers. On Monday, a woman in a RR rammed my bike from behind twice to encourage me to move on (which I couldn't do as the roundabout was grid-locked) before speeding off at motorway speeds after the traffic had cleared. The MET are dealing with her anger issues

Oh I don't use at as a navigation tool.  I have Nav Pro in the 520d.  I use it prior to a journey for gauging the timings and distance so that I can account for in the pricing I give.  The miles are all that really matter to me but I do factor in the time element to a degree (beyond 2 hours - which is pretty much everything!).

I did that to a guy once. He'd been sitting in the outside lane despite the other lanes being empty. Indicators on etc hadn't worked. I moved over to the middle lane and he did also so I assumed he'd got the message. When I pulled out to pass he moved back out. I took a flyer and passed him in lane 1. When I got to the junction there was traffic building up and he decided he'd try and cut in. I forced him to stay off the slip road so he ended up on the hard shoulder. I saw him stop and seemingly consider reversing before he booted it forwards up the motorway.

It's such a shame that on the M11 the distance between junctions is so big :)

[edited : iPhone was crap at understanding my mind :) )

Good work Mr S!  +++