Allroad/A6 autobox Codes & compatibility?

Muppet_man

Hi all,

the diff bearing on my 2007 3.0 TDi Allroad have become very noisy and it's lumping down from six to fifth and fourth to third. So it's not looking good. I haven't rebuilt an gearbox since I had an S8 nine years ago, and remembering back, I'm not keen on repeating the task.

Allroad gearboxes seem to be like hens teeth and cost the earth. However A6 3.0 TDi quattro boxes, which are physically the same as an Allroad in every way are available for around a quarter of the price.

Does anyone know where I can check the gearing etc to see the differences between a KHC and KJC gearbox?

Much appreciation to anyone who's more in the know than me as always.

Thanks.

I mean, Wow! How on earth did you find that? Sadly it doesn't cover the Allroad or later 3.0 TDi gearbox for A6, but I'm astounded you found it to start with.

What did you put in as a search to find it. Maybe I can find one that covers mine?

Thanks again.

Not getting rid of the Allroad. It's my everyday vehicle. Already oil serviced it around a year ago. All clean and no sign of contamination.

Not sure what you mean by the MAF since it's not related to any of the issues with the car. Hopefully you know something I don't about it and it will cure all of my problems.  :)

The dirty MAF can contribute to a poor autobox gear change.

It will give inaccurate reading to the ECU so it changes gear at the wrong times.

Is it smooth going up the gears?  And what about using the tip function both up & down?  Are they smooth?

the other thing to check I suppose, is the fluid level in the gearbox.

Other than that............  ummmm

Smooth going up and smooth coming down except between 6th to 5th and 4th to 3rd which points at one particular set of three solenoids in the valve chest. If had the sump off today and valve block down and can see some silvering in the oil. Looks like the microswarf from the diff bearing which is causing the noise is effecting the solenoids making them stick. Sadly looks like the end for this box. Bummer.

I've managed to find out all of the ratios and there are about four gearboxes that could be used, but unfortunately they need me to swap the mototronix box from inside of the gearbox over in order for it to work with my engine management. However, as this is probably the part causing the shift irregularities that seems to be pointless. So I really need to find a correct box, which I now know to be a JMQ type. A gearbox type that they only used for a very short production run from 06/06 to 05/07 making it about the rarest box to find.

There is a low mileage second hand one, but unfortunately it's in Poland and they don't want to ship it to me. They have some in Germany also, but they also require the mototronix box to be swapped. I'll have to keep looking and hope for one to come up over here.

Onwards and upwards....

Is that a ZF box?

OK - just Yahoo'd it and found this ;-http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/a6-tiptronic-oil-change.223876/

However, ZF do sell remanufactured gearboxes.

Not sure of the price of them, but if there isn't much difference, might be best getting one from them?

http://www.zf.com/unitedkingdom/en_gb/corporate/products_services_corporate/spare_parts_corporate/transmissions_corporate/index.html

Hope that helps a bit.  Although not sure about the gearbox ECU bit.

Edited by cruiser647