Guy Martin & Coulthard F1 Special

JonC

Thought the F1 car would take the drag race and brake test, simply due to the amount of rubber in contact with the ground, but I didn't think it would be as close as it was.

I'm expecting the bike to come in to it's own on the slalom test, and on the open track too I think it'll be very very close....

Oh, so it wasn't even remotely close on the track.

I guess the thing to remember is the F1 car is an F1 car, none of us can afford one.

The bike, we could walk in to a dealer and buy one tomorrow.

Those F1 cars are seriously pinned to the track! You couldn't buy that race-preped bike for less than £100k probably, but a one out the box for about £17k. Awesome bike. Edited by JonC

Loved the program. Guy's passion is awesome.

F1 cars are astounding. The cornering and braking ability is simply astonishing.

He's very down to earth which is so endearing. Very natural and genuine bloke he seems. I also was astonished at the car's handling ability - opened my eyes to F1 more. Hell of a faff with the F1 team compared to Guy and his mechanic! The car team did seem to take it very seriously! Guy hadn't been on the bike for 6 months. Wonder how the liks if Lirenzo, Marquez at al would have faired.

Scotty is spot on - the cornering speeds and breaking points of an F1 car always mean it will murder a bike around a track.

Would be interesting to see a drag race between a MotoGP bike and an F1 car.  The MotoGP bikes have a higher terminal speed down Hangar despite not being able to get on the power as early out of Chapel and having to brake earlier for Stowe.  

However, across the full lap the F1 car is 25 seconds faster!!!  You only need to stand at Maggots/Becketts to see where all that time comes from.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
18 hours ago, garcon magnifique said:

I wonder if he got time to teach Hamilton a thing or two about not behaving like a fücking child?

He is a competitive animal on the top of his game, a set back like that will hit him hard, either way, love/loathe him, he did an amazing job to come back to be in the points, never mind on the podium, back off! ;)

• Like 1

Also, he’s finding out that being on top of his game isn’t always enough when Vettel is in an equal car, and he’s not coping with that terribly well. 

Back on topic, nice to see Guy having a bit of fun. It’s been a tough year for bike road racers. I wonder where his mind is about whether he ever returns to NI and TT. I kind of hope he doesn’t. It’s not his whole life any more and I think you need to be committed to balance the risk. 

• Like 1