Fulfilling the brief

eldavo69

MrsEldavo's Nissan Leaf Lease ends soon so we've been sniffing out some potential replacements.

Criteria was practical, economical hatchback and we'd settled on a Mercdes A-Class 180d AMG-Line with Premium Plus Pack for about £325 a month on a 3+35 lease.

Having sold the MX-5 the plan was to replace the garage space that occupied with my Grandad's 1966 Triumph Tiger 90. We'd briefly discussed an early 986 Boxster but felt it wouldn't get used enough to justify the purchase.

So, I think I've smashed it on this one - one car to replace an MX-5 and a Nissan Leaf that ticks no boxes whatsoever on the original brief. Pick it up next week:

0DF51FB9-2F7B-42C2-AA35-22BE2947870C.png

Boxster 987 2.7 (practical - 2 boots, economical - not an S, hatchback - erm, the roof comes off).

Submissions for Eldavo's car man maths are welcome, you tell me what you/your Mrs' wants and needs are and I'll provide you with an unsuitable Porsche model variant and a list of excuses!

• Like 13

practical - 2 boots, economical - not an S, hatchback - erm, the roof comes off

Top skills +++

I'd like a new tow car that's also good for carrying two huge greyhounds, loads of Caterham spare parts, and fun to drive to work :)

No need to submit anything.

A* on the maths.

Oh, if you drive the Merc A (as Mrs Eldavo might not approve.....), check the gearbox.  I found the auto gearbox on the equivalent B-class was fecking shite. Sounded like an old man riding the clutch and worse, it had the shift on the steering column.  (why?) 

Oh, and their stupid parking brake foot and hand job thing. :rolleyes:

Edited by cruiser647

Top skills +++

I'd like a new tow car that's also good for carrying two huge greyhounds, loads of Caterham spare parts, and fun to drive to work :)

Easy - Porsche 924.

My friend Adrian sold his 36 year old example to a lady who travelled up to Manchester from Kent with her husband in a 2012 Skoda Yeti. 10 miles from home the cambelt went on the Yeti and they used the towrope they'd brought "just in case" for the 924 to use it to tow the Yeti home.

• Like 1

An 06 with 55k, full history and I had it inspected by my Indy's - it's going in for a service and a couple of remedial works with them before collection.

The interior is Metropole Blue which looked a bit purpley in the pics but is far less offensive than thought and the Mrs prefers it to black. We'll run it for a year or so as her DD until she gets bored or needs something bigger and then it'll stay with us as a weekend car most likely.

We need to change the head unit to something with Nav for MrsEldavo's job and I plan to add in the Bose-style rear speakers and upgrade the factory components at the same time.

Ok, I need a reliable, economical, 7 seat mpv for taxi work.

Easy - New 718 Boxster. Most economical Boxster made, brand new car so meets council regulations on age - also warranty so reliable too. But here's the best bit - by clever use of two ladders and some rope you can make use of the unlimited vertical storage that only comes with a convertible and have a 15-seat minibus going on (just avoid low, well any bridges).

• Like 2

Easy - New 718 Boxster. Most economical Boxster made, brand new car so meets council regulations on age - also warranty so reliable too. But here's the best bit - by clever use of two ladders and some rope you can make use of the unlimited vertical storage that only comes with a convertible and have a 15-seat minibus going on (just avoid low, well any bridges).

Not sure I can see the council licensing that for more than one passenger?

MrsEldavo's Nissan Leaf Lease ends soon so we've been sniffing out some potential replacements.

Criteria was practical, economical hatchback and we'd settled on a Mercdes A-Class 180d AMG-Line with Premium Plus Pack for about £325 a month on a 3+35 lease.

Having sold the MX-5 the plan was to replace the garage space that occupied with my Grandad's 1966 Triumph Tiger 90. We'd briefly discussed an early 986 Boxster but felt it wouldn't get used enough to justify the purchase.

So, I think I've smashed it on this one - one car to replace an MX-5 and a Nissan Leaf that ticks no boxes whatsoever on the original brief. Pick it up next week:

0DF51FB9-2F7B-42C2-AA35-22BE2947870C.png

Boxster 987 2.7 (practical - 2 boots, economical - not an S, hatchback - erm, the roof comes off).

Submissions for Eldavo's car man maths are welcome, you tell me what you/your Mrs' wants and needs are and I'll provide you with an unsuitable Porsche model variant and a list of excuses!

Other than colour (mine was speed yellow) - this is what I won and loved for 4.5 years.

Fabulous car.