Keyless car entry is in the news again

Andy_Bangle

A new study, released last week by the Berlin-based automobile club ADAC, has found that thieves can use a $225 signal booster to fool cars into thinking their owners are nearby, thereby easily unlocking the cars and even starting them up: a silent theft that doesn’t leave a scratch.

The ADAC says that the attack allows thieves to also overcome a car’s alarm system.

What’s particularly insidious about this type of attack is that the car will keep running, without a key, until it runs out of gas.

But even an empty tank won’t necessarily stop a thief, since he can still fill the tank with the engine running, the ADAC says.

The ADAC published a list of the 24 vulnerable car models.

The list includes the Audi A3, A4 and A6, BMW’s 730d, Citroen’s DS4 CrossBack, Ford’s Galaxy and Eco-Sport, Honda’s HR-V, Hyundai’s Santa Fe CRDi, KIA’s Optima, Lexus’s RX 450h, Mazda’s CX-5, MINI’s Clubman, Mitsubishi’s Outlander, Nissan’s Qashqai and Leaf, Opel’s Ampera, Range Rover’s Evoque, Renault’s Traffic, Ssangyong’s Tivoli XDi, Subaru’s Levorg, Toyota’s RAV4, and Volkswagen’s Golf GTD and Touran 5T.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2016/03/23/time-to-stash-your-keyless-car-entry-fob-in-with-the-frozen-pork-chops/

Did you read

Put the key somewhere else?

Did you read my key related post elsewhere on the forum earlier?

I can't be trusted with them, at least if it lives in my coat pocket I always know where it is! :rolleyes:

Edited by Tipex

It's probably better 5 feet from the car than in the ignition, I guess :coffee:

Maybe put your coat somewhere else :)

But I have a coat hook, for my coat!

I think i'll just not worry about it, if someone wants to nick it, they will.

I'm in a pretty safe area, leaving the keys in the ignition wasn't much of a worry to be honest.

Bah, just rip the keyless out and have an old fashioned key start.......... 

:coffee:

Although, I have keyless start and stop in the A8 (from 2003!) and it feels wierd starting and stopping the car with a button and NOT having to remove a key as you get out.  ;)

Edited by cruiser647

Wonder if such a thing exists, and if it's patentable if it doesn't!

No. :coffee::roflmao:

it feels wierd starting ans stopping the key with a button and NOT having to remove a key as you get out.

I'd like somewhere to put the key while you're driving, they can be a little bulky sometimes.  Maybe some kind of slot in the dashboard that you could slide the key into?

• Like 1

I'd like somewhere to put the key while you're driving, they can be a little bulky sometimes.  Maybe some kind of slot in the dashboard that you could slide the key into?

And you could turn it to lock it in place so that it doesn't fall out.

Can we patent THAT Mr P?

And you could turn it to lock it in place so that it doesn't fall out.

Can we patent THAT Mr P?

Maybe also some kind of unique shape that interlocks so that you can only put the right key in? +++

Send me ££££s and I'll investigate the patent position very thoroughly indeed :bike:

• Like 3

My boss puts the key in the central compartment under the arm rest. I asked him why don't you keep it in your pocket? But never got a decent answer, such a cock. +++

I've seen those, how big are they? I hate having key rings and stuff on my keys, my car key is entirely on it's own, as is my house key.

If I take Mrs T's car I have to take the car key off her ridiculous bunch of key rings and teddies and god knows what else lives on the bunch.

In reality, it's the first time I've ever left my key in the car all night, and the kids are almost out of the phase where they hide them in a DVD player/toybox/post them out the letter box etc.

I'm not sure, but I think the Galaxy keyless go thing still requires you to physically press the unlock button on the key, I don't think it unlocks as you approach, once the key is then detected inside the vehicle you just press the start button. 

I'm not sure, but I think the Galaxy keyless go thing still requires you to physically press the unlock button on the key, I don't think it unlocks as you approach, once the key is then detected inside the vehicle you just press the start button. 

How can a system be keyless if you need the key and to press the button on it :P It would be the same as every other system before it.

It'll be touch based I would have thought. Key in pocket, touch and open doors, then hit start button. That's how it works in the BMW.

Although in my old 5 series (a 2012 model) you needed the key to open the door, or at least you needed to press a button on it to unlock the car. But you didn't need to put the key in a slot once inside - as long as it was in the car you could just press the start button. Keyless entry was a cost option...keyless starting was standard...

Next time someone's at a secure government site, see if you can sneak out one of the acoustic boxes they use to put your mobile phones in so you don't 'accidentally' record sensitive information... I'm fairly sure they're lead lined to block any signal as well as sound.

nope.

What you want is a small box made out of 2 layers of copper mesh - with the mesh hole sizes slightly different (eg. 1mm hole and a 1.3mm hole).

Or do what the recommended fix is - stick the keys on the freezer (but probably not good for battery life).

How can a system be keyless if you need the key and to press the button on it :P It would be the same as every other system before it.

It'll be touch based I would have thought. Key in pocket, touch and open doors, then hit start button. That's how it works in the BMW.

Yes you are quite correct, having read up on it there is a touch sensitive panel within the door handle, when you go to pull the handle it detects your hand, calls out for the key and if it gets a response the door opens.

Or you can wave your foot under the rear bumper and the boot will open.

Assuming all goes well with the purchase, I'm going to have to mess about with where I park the car on the drive and where I keep the key.

Sometimes I park down the side, right next to the window by the cubpoard in which the keys would normally be stored, so probably no more than two feet away.

I can fix this.

If you have any fears over keyless security, don't buy a keyless secured car. 

Otherwise, get on with your life and accept the fact that someone, somewhere, will hack everything one day.  Such is life.  Just get on with it.

I'm here all week.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe
  • Like 1

Indeed, when I got the GT I asked the dealer about it. 

His response was I can show me a video, really I ask to help on preventing it. 

"No of the people who dragged a couple of cars off the front of the forecourt of the BMW dealer! If they want the car they will get it keyless ignition or not."

Good point well made I thought. +++