New car ordered.......

Busby

.......deposit paid but I have no idea what it looks like and probably won't lay my hands on it until 2019!

This would certainly be a more interesting post if it were coming from Woppum as he'd probably be getting an uber exclusive La Ferrari of some description but it isn't so you'll have to make do with me ordering a Tesla  ;)

• Like 3

The Model 3 - the launch event is this evening 2030 PST (0430 tomorrow in the UK).  Online orders open then but you could go to the dealer this morning and jump the queue a bit.  

I have tried and tried to make a Model S work for me but no amount of man maths can make the finances work out for me.  The 3 is going to be 20% smaller and have a range of around 200 miles in base trim.  Other than that and a price point around £30k no-one really knows anything else about it!  There are even rumours that they are not going to show a complete picture of it at the launch tonight.

I will be interested to look at a model 3 as it would fit a good 90+% of my driving requirements and the rest would be met by my other halves car. 

That's pretty much the same boat I'm in.  Tesla Superchargers are springing up quite a bit now too.  The two main cities I go to (Birmingham and London) both have them in places where it is good to park and they are at lots of the motorway services.

I wonder what the design will be like but size wise it is said to be similar to a 3 series/A4 which would be fine.  For the very odd occasion it wouldn't work for me and I couldn't use the other car (e.g. trip to Scotland) I'll just get the train and hire a car when there.

• Like 1

So have you set your alarm for 4.30am to see what it might look like? 

Did the dealer give you any indication of any delivery I know they have said US first and the rest have to wait which is fair enough. It does intrigue me I have to admit but I'm not sure I could order without seeing it or knowing anything about the spec. 

Possible view of the car below apparently. 

Picture.jpg

So have you set your alarm for 4.30am to see what it might look like? 

Did the dealer give you any indication of any delivery I know they have said US first and the rest have to wait which is fair enough. It does intrigue me I have to admit but I'm not sure I could order without seeing it or knowing anything about the spec. 

I considered it and then decided against!  Just got up and took a look this morning.

Delivery wise they are usually about 12 months after the US.  However, I don't think they'll make US deliveries next year, at least not in volume.  Thus I don't expect to see mine until 2019.  I'm hoping to be fairly high up the UK list though as I put my order in as soon as the doors opened and only existing Model S owners were allowed to go before that.

Looks wise I think it's great but I'm not sure about the front 'grill'.  Spec wise it looks very good from what they revealed last night.  I didn't expect it to have the autonomous driving software and I like the sound of the base model doing 0-6- in sub 6 seconds with "much faster versions too"  :)   I love the full length glass roof too 

Edited by Busby

Looks wise I think it's great but I'm not sure about the front 'grill'.

Exactly what I thought.

Since the delivery is a long way off it's a bit of a punt whether they'll actually get delivered or even if Tesla will still be around but it's not massive deposit so I totally get the temptation. If I was looking to change if would definitely be on the list to be considered.  +++

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 1

Wow.  That is a very nice looking car indeed.

Being a Tesla, it was never going to be ugly, but they've produced something that I'm very taken by. 

They've managed to get the sleekness of the S into the new car and, despite the complete shape difference, I think you're left in no doubt that it is a Tesla.

• Like 1

I think it looks great, the front will have a number plate there which will break up that space a bit which will be fine. 

The iPad dash inside is a bit funny and where is the speedo etc have they done that on a head up display I've not watched the full video yet work getting in the way. 

I'm seriously tempted to put some pennies down...MMmmm.

Anywhere where there is good info or a forum that you have been looking at info seems fairly hard to come by. 

Didn't spend time on the forum as nobody knew anything about the car in advance and I didn't want to get caught up in the speculation/rumours!

There is about as much info as you get at https://www.teslamotors.com/en_GB/model3?no_cache=1459499220 and you can watch last nights unveiling video too.

I think it looks great, the front will have a number plate there which will break up that space a bit which will be fine. 

The iPad dash inside is a bit funny and where is the speedo etc have they done that on a head up display I've not watched the full video yet work getting in the way. 

I'm seriously tempted to put some pennies down...MMmmm.

Good point about the number plate - I hadn't thought of that!!

All the info will be on the big screen so there won't be a line of traditional dials directly in front of you.  

wnmacvkbrn0egssl86sz.png

Ah ok, just found it strange on the other videos that there was no speedo or speed showing as they drove about, would have thought that should display all the time but couldn't see it. 

Mmmm tempting, certainly looks great if there was more of a definitive view on delivery that would be better for me. If nothing else its going to mean that BMW, Merc and Audi are all going to accelerate their push for plug in hybrid related models I'd expect. 

Keep us updated. +++

If you take the number plate off most cars they'll look remarkably similar to that front end, barring no air ventilation.

p.s. in fact, I'm taking the number plates off the 520d today to replace the front with a new one as it is cracked.  I've bought a pair so they match anyway but I'll take a photo and see how odd the front of the 5 looks without a plate....

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

That is a very good looking car, I'd be very tempted to put down a deposit if I knew for a fact the local council would license one, but without any interior dimensions they won't, they also have to physically check the interior too, so until they are on the road it's a no go for me.

Like many others it seems, the front does look a little odd without any sort of grille, I think it's the fact it still has a lip on the leading edge, almost as if it's supposed to have a grille, if anything, I think a number plate will make it look even worse.

I've just watched the interior video, good to see three adults in the back, looks a bit tight but no worse than a Prius, interior does sound a bit creaky though? Appreciate it's not production ready.

At the start of the video the driver points to the top left of the screen and says about the speed being here 'in your peripheral vision' but the chap asking the questions asks about two screens, and it sounds like it will have two?