Am I mad?

patently

I just think it is very patronising.

If you don't want people's opinions, don't ask for them, P asked for them, he got them. the only thing I can see in this thread that is remotely patronising is other people getting wound up on P's behalf.

I'm quite sure if he doesn't appreciate the input, he'll tell us himself.

Anyway, I can't be bothered to argue about it, it's utterly pointless and there is an arsenal of Nerf guns, 4 excited children, and some woods waiting for me!

Edited by Tipex

That premium tax is going to be a complete ****.

I can envisage a good few people getting a very nasty surprise.  As a one off, I wouldn't mind it.  But for 5 years?

I wonder how many mainstream cars are going to come in at £40k very soon?  I would guess it'll be a lot.

Take your average premium barge or 3 series or A4.  It is very easy. 

£310 + £140 = £450 a year in road tax. 

The Tories have completely shafted car owners.

I concur as I mentioned elsewhere. 

I am going to leave my change until later this year so to nip under the bar, I don't think it will be new something 6-12 months old I expect but it most certainly won't be a car that will deliver post that date. Its not that much more but I will be damned if I'm going to spend extra than I really need to for the next 3 years. Post that lets see if it will be still around or not. +++

If it ticks the boxes then I say go for it .... (agree with MrMe and lose the bodykit).  Looks nice in white +++

Only the boxes? A LWB Transit ticks the boxes *and* the squares, and several triangles. I used to work for DAF so I know. Fact.

• Like 3

Admit it: you're only considering it so you can unleash an arsenal of withering responses to "why not get a proper Porsche?" when you step out of it.

:roflmao: Good point.  I'll need a "my other car is a Porsche" sticker :)

There is a problem I've found with later Cayennes, apart from the small point that I can't afford them.  They're a V6 turbo, whereas this car is a V8.  I want to own a V8 at some point, and I haven't yet. 

V8... Porsche sports exhaust... hope the test route has a tunnel :)

• Like 1

The Tories have completely shafted car owners.

I'd edit that slightly to that the Tories and the EU have shafted the car industry.

I've been buying new cars for quite some time now.  Off the top of my head, I've bought a new car in 1998, 2001, 2004 (x2), 2005, 2007, 2011, 2013 and 2014.  I have no plans to do so again and doubt I will, to be honest.  The closest I've come to a new purchase recently was the M5 idea, but that was an older model of car and would have been pre-2017.

The reason is partly the punitive and vindictive taxation of newer cars if they are at all nice, but is also to do with the regulation of new car design into oblivion.  The EU is determined to regulate nice cars out of existence, I've decided.  The result is that the new models just don't appeal any more, and I've found myself drifting in the manner of an old fart towards cars from the time when they really appealed to me - roughly speaking, 1995 to about 2010 (or 1957 in the case of the Caterham...).

You might say that we need to conserve resources and car design is part of that, and you'd have a point.  But, in reply, I would point out that in my garage I have two sets of Caterham wheels, both fitted with identical-pattern tyres, but one set is road-legal and the other is not.  The difference is that the road-legal tyres were bought in 2015 whereas the others are 2016-manufacture and are marked FOR COMPETITION USE ONLY.  There is no other difference between them.  Apparently, they have been regulated out because they are "not efficient enough".  This means that the 500 or so road miles that I do in the Caterham will have to be on the 2015 set and (after they wear out) on a different tyre.  I'll still race on the same ones, though, and do circa 5000 miles like that, mainly at full throttle.  So the net effect of this regulation will be precisely bugger all apart from screwing people who like trackdays but don't have a trailer.  Also, I do remember building the Caterham and spending days (literally) putting on pointless little bits of rubber and plastic to make it IVA-compliant, all of which (every single one) have now fallen off or been ripped off leaving it still MOT-compliant.  What was the point of either set of regulations?  How much did we pay civil servants and politicians to sit around and write them?

So basically, under the cover of doing something that no-one would object to, the car industry is being stifled with regulations that are totally unnecessary and achieve nothing but the pointless frustration of owners and designers.

• Like 3

I read about the track day tyres a while ago and forgot to post about it. Another reason to leave the EU, certainly. 

As for car design it evolves yes more should be done to recycle things on cars and have less waste but some of the rules are just plain mad. Consumers are better at driving change and magazines / papers. 

Who remembers when everything was about security and cars not having alarms, then it was door bars, airbags and now its auto braking etc. Some of that is EU driven but much of it was manufactures plugging gaps in peoples requirements for their cars. 

Yours looking for an older car, ahem. 

There is a problem I've found with later Cayennes, apart from the small point that I can't afford them.  They're a V6 turbo, whereas this car is a V8.  I want to own a V8 at some point, and I haven't yet. 

V8... Porsche sports exhaust... hope the test route has a tunnel :)

The Diesel S is a V8 (and sounds rather good too)..... so are the Turbo and Turbo S models.

The V6 Petrol is good, fast, quiet...... the only problem with it.... it's quiet !

• Like 1

I hadn't realised you'd never owned a V8, patently.

I must admit it is the engine I miss most from all the cars I've owned.  The M3 engine is just behind it.

By contrast, I want to own a V12 one day.  Just to say I did.  It may well be just for one day too..... :roflmao:

• Like 1

Ive yet to own more than a 4 pot. Bit sad really, i should try and experience more cylinders. :( Next car maybe, unless its a Honda, again...

That reminds me.....

As I was driving through Solihull a few weeks back I saw a car that looked nigh on identical to yours.  It was parked outside a rather large and nice looking house and, I don't say this lightly, it looked absolutely mint.  I was sat in traffic for a few minutes and grabbed my iPhone to take a picture of it - and promptly dropped it in the footwell.  Naturally, this was the precise moment at which the gridlock decided to move. :roflmao:

I kicked it aside and failed to get the photograph.  I memorised the plate.  And now I've forgotten it.

Honda, white, Integra sporty thing.  Really, really, stood out.

Depreciation is guaranteed.  Bills from unreliability are not

Really. You've excelled yourself with The Stupid this time.

Can you have depreciation OR unreliability then? Oh. Wait. No, of course not, because......lol what.

Whoa, why the harsh post?  You drunk posting again Mac?!   :coffee:

Simply:

New car under warranty / PCP / lease etc = zero bills no matter what breaks

3 year old plus, second hand car out of warranty = less depreciation, but you take the risk when it comes to reliability and bills