2006 987 Boxster 2.7

eldavo69

After selling the MX-5 to Daz, the garage didn't stay empty for long and we had a 987 Boxster 2.7 delivered (literally - dealer left it on the drive and posted all the paperwork through the letterbox while I was at work) yesterday.

It was quite nice coming home to this:

A98A9D1D-1724-4D1A-B192-DB104923FC94.jpg

Spec is:

06 Boxster 2.7 - Arctic Silver

Blue Hood

987.1 Boxster S wheels

Blue interior with full leather seats

Heated seats

Cruise control

Wind deflector

CD changer

Car is all original paintwork with no dints (for now - this is going to be MrsEldavo's DD come August). 55k miles with full Porsche and Porsche Independent service history right down to the £850-worth of N-spec tyres fitted 6 months ago.

Dean at D&G Porsche and Prestige did a full pre-purchase inspection for me too as well as a minor service that was due before collection.

The plan is for this to be my wife's daily once her leased Nissna Leaf goes back in August and after that we'll run it until she needs something more practical/gets bored and then it'll probably stay as a weekend toy.

The corroded exhaust flanges were attended to and replaced by D&G whilst it was in for servicing as wel as a sticking fan being fixed and the roof being retensioned and seated correctly.

Despite this car being "for my wife" - we all know what I'm like and it will also be a pet project of mine so there's no point me even pretending that won't happen.

There are a couple of areas I need/want to address:

Roof needs a damn good clean, colour and reseal.

Brake calipers need painting, either back to original black or red.

Brake disc bells need painting silver as they're a bit corroded.

Wheel bolts are scruffy and need a light dusting of paint.

Whole car needs a proper machine polish.

Exhaust needs some wire wool and Autosol to reach NNMM standards.

Interior leather needs cleaning and some wear and marks need attending to.

Replacement of head unit with modern Nav system and Bluetooth- reversing camera looks likely too.

But first and foremost . . . The interior rear view mirror is missing, I've ordered one from Porsche and the supplying dealer has agreed to reimburse me!

• Like 1

The plan is for this to be my wife's daily once her leased Nissna Leaf goes back in August and after that we'll run it until she needs something more practical/gets bored and then I'll sell it to Daz as a weekend toy.

:P

• Like 2

On the Boxster - I like it.

A very clean looking example in an inoffensive colour and the right type of specification.

That mileage is nothing to a car engineered as well as that and I think the blue hood is a lovely complement to the silver paint.  They're also my favourite wheels on the Boxster.  I don't like the over fussy ones or the rather tacky looking base wheels.  That variant is just right.

On the Autosol for the exhausts - I still can't find anything to beat Meguiars NXT Metal Polish.  I tried Autoglym Metal Polish on MrsMe's car a few days ago and that is poor by comparison.

• Like 1

Brake calipers need painting, either back to original black or red.

Brake disc bells need painting silver as they're a bit corroded.

Wheel bolts are scruffy and need a light dusting of paint.

Exhaust needs some wire wool and Autosol to reach NNMM standards.

Loving the details - they make such a difference - I'm glad its not just me who worries about things like this!  +++

• Like 1

Wel - it turns out that the windscreen has been replaced (which is usually a good thing) and they've fitted a genuine Porsche screen BUT the wrong one.

They've fitted the one for the auto-dimming mirror (which the car never had optioned) - which doesn't have the mounting clip bonded to it for the regular mirror.

Luckily I found a mirror for sale on German eBay complete with the clip so have ordered that. Evans Halshaw have agreed to reimburse me as well as bond the clip to the windscreen and fit the mirror when it arrives.

A minor inconvenience but to be fair neither they, me, the Porsche garage or my wife noticed it was missing until yesterday and the windscreen change receipt is from a couple of years ago so the car came to them like that.

I've also started a couple of small jobs.

First up, the plastic trim around the mirrors, roof edges and the scuttle panel at the bottom of the windscreen all fade in the sun:

7F28A137-B772-4378-B701-1488856790F4.jpg

09BF2E52-D86F-4A2B-969C-34B293EEC149.jpg

99149B79-7D51-409E-BE53-C2726EB9D41F.jpg

But a light application of "Black Wow" (yes, really) and then buffed back does a great job of restoring them and it lasts forever compared to the usual "back to black" type trim solutions:

F770615F-CE99-49A1-B4E6-F1356117412C.jpg

CBB850B7-8F18-42CC-8D16-9C2A9EE8D584.jpg

37DFC33A-3037-460E-80AE-CD9C588E6AF7.jpg

04B129CD-2549-4AB6-AD03-5EB4269B8CFE.jpg

Even though the weather is dull and grey today (much like me) the colour looked drab and had no shine despite the car being clean.

Running my hand over the paintwork was like running it over sandpaper with 10-years of grubbiness sat there. Due to time restraints I thought I'd start on the back end as there were a couple of light marks in the paint anyway there:

648B5723-F286-4246-8C27-4897C9F1FF0D.jpg

First up was a thorough blast with the clay bar, this transformed the rough surface to being as smooth as glass and removed loads of little dark impurities from the paint too:

3D117778-644B-4B08-A2BD-4C303418244D.jpg

Loads of crud from the panel and inbetween the model badge removed:

DA3FDE87-57B9-48C4-B4E8-87B5253CE927.jpg

The machine polisher came out next, a couple of passes with Meguiars and Menzerna polishes:

DC694CA3-B419-40C0-B01C-AFF074A67A4F.jpg

Buffed off, a coat of Lime Prime and then sealed with Zaino CS - despite the overcast day it looks fabulous and the pics don't convey the clarity of the shine:

289C4A6A-5E43-4592-839B-7681F961150B.jpg

5495D934-0B1F-424F-B3B1-D6E653CBB422.jpg

0D4C235A-EF7D-4093-B635-D45808983B7F.jpg

6E11C0A9-D738-41ED-AD41-C35E63934AEC.jpg

361A2110-E166-401E-8100-A7CEC5BB13A2.jpg

• Like 2

Maybe I wasn't clear - the screen is the one for the dimming mirror, I've bought the regular mirror with the mounting clip that they will bond on. The only difference in the two screens is the clip.

Oh I see, I thought you meant you'd bought the auto dipping mirror to fit on to the dipping mirror windscreen, is that not possible then?

Also makes you wonder what they pay their MOT tester for, or what else he might have missed, an interior mirror and at least one external mirror is an MOT requirement unless on a van without rear windows.

Edited by Tipex

Finished off the rear end by doing the bumper and the lights - I'm always amazed how much of a difference it makes when the lights aren't swirled and dull:

B945C77E-2D82-414A-8759-60F5444C3F36.jpg

052F07C1-3140-47AC-BE94-273DBF2981E0.jpg

The Mrs took it out for an inaugural spin earlier - suffice to say she found the loud pedal!

• Like 2

Shiny lights always make so much difference, it's normally something that people don't bother with.

Did you use anything particular or just normal polish?

That Black Wow sounds good, I might get some of that, anything that might add a few £'s of value to the old Galaxy when it goes up on Ebay can't do anything but help.

Shiny lights always make so much difference, it's normally something that people don't bother with.

Did you use anything particular or just normal polish?

That Black Wow sounds good, I might get some of that, anything that might add a few £'s of value to the old Galaxy when it goes up on Ebay can't do anything but help.

Make sure you buff the Black Wow off after a few hours or it stays a little greasy and dust will stick to it. A little goes a long way which is just as well as its about £7 for 75ml.

The lights were polished with a rotary polisher, medium cut spot pad with a finishing polish and worked at a slow speed. You don't want to get too much heat into the lights or you'll damage the plastic so slowly but surely is the way.

The headlights won't get the same treatment as it'd remove the UV coating and they're not bad enough to justify doing that.

Daz - next time you're passing feel free to call in for a complimentary wash and a brew. ;)

• Like 3