F1 Qualifying

Andy_Bangle

The saga continues...

All 11 F1 teams have written an unanimous letter to Todt (FIA), Ecclestone and CVC stating they do not like the current elimination format and are against the latest idea of an aggregate system, insisting on reversion to the 2015 format.

The pair have been resistant to going back to last year's format - and have so far refused to give teams the formal option of doing so.

And we know what the response will be ...

CfcD9yhWIAA_lH-.jpg

I have to agree with them.

The "new" system is not doing what they set out to achieve.

The proposed "new new" system is utter bonkers! In that the pole position quite frequently won't be the fastest car/driver.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFS!!!!!

Whenever I go karting, the fastest qualifiers always start at the back of the grid.

I always start at the front, I'll leave it to you to decide for yourself whether that's a strategic decision I make to consciously qualify with the slowest lap, or if it's just that I'm fat and therefore the slowest on the course*.

*I'll give you a clue, it's because I'm fat and slow.

Whenever I go karting, the fastest qualifiers always start at the back of the grid.

The intention there is to engineer an exciting race with lots of overtaking. 

There are various systems.  We use fastest times in quali to order people on the grid for race 1 (with the fastest at the front!) and second fastest quali times to order people for race 2.  The Caterham official series uses quali times to order people for race 1, and the results of race 1 to order people for race 2.  So their system lets people who are better at racing than qualifying to progress over the weekend, whereas ours doesn't penalise people for an unlucky DNF in race 1 that might not have been their fault. 

These guys - http://www.barc.net/championships/legends - have a practice session rather than a quali, and draw lots to determine grid order.  Race 2 is then the reverse of that grid.  Then they have a final race which is a reverse grid based on the results of the first two.  Their races are simply awesome to watch; constant close quarters action as the quick drivers have to make their way through the slower drivers. 

Reverse grids are good fun but are better with vehicles that are, errr, robust to minor impacts - like karts and Legends cars.  In F1 they'd be about as sensible as in Caterhams...