Powershell - Folder permissions for IIS App Pools

Hopsta

Hi,

Been pulling my hair out trying to script the setup of folder permissions for use with custom IIS App Pools.  As the user is not a proper system user i'm struggling to get this working, google isn't throwing up much so thought i'd try here.

Sample of script below

$mypath = 'c:\inetpub\mysite\files'
$Acl = Get-Acl $mypath
Set-Acl $mypath  $Acl
$Acl = Get-Acl $mypath
$user = New-Object System.Security.Principal.NTAccount("iis apppool\myapppool")
$Ar = New-Object  system.security.accesscontrol.filesystemaccessrule("$user","Modify", "ContainerInherit, ObjectInherit", "None", "Allow")
$Acl.SetAccessRule($Ar)
Set-Acl $mypath $Acl

errors with

Exception calling "SetAccessRule" with "1" argument(s): "Some or all identity references could not be translated."
At line:7 char:1
+ $Acl.SetAccessRule($Ar)
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : IdentityNotMappedException

:beer:

Where is this from?

$user = New-Object System.Security.Principal.NTAccount("iis apppool\myapppool")

You can't set a user context as an IIS pool property? That's trying to set the $user as user 'iis apppool\myapppool'. Usually that would be a username of some sort. Like this:

$user = New-Object System.Security.Principal.NTAccount("domainname","username")

Edited by Mac

So you're trying to modify the ACL of that folder, with that user. You won't be able to do it that way. You'll either need to work with the SID of the user (or simulate one for the app pool I imagine), or just cheat and use powershell to call iACLs instead, far easier.

Edited by Mac

Thanks Mac, the user is dynamic so needed to be parametrised as part of the run time.

Finally worked it out this morning and also realised I was calling bits before they were declared, joys of late night scripting on the sofa :smashfreak: