RobK

First car suggestions?

57 posts in this topic

That thread's never going away is it? :roflmao:

And if this thread ends with a similar conclusion, RobK will end up buying his daughter a brand new Golf R  :P

1 person likes this

When we were at school my mate went out with a girl who got a cooper s on her 17 th. That was 2002. She was dosey as hell and couldn't get to grips with the 'stick in the middle of the car', so her dad sent it to the mini dealership for a service. My mate was instructed to take her down to drop the car off and then go am wonder round the bmw dealer on the same site. In there was her brand new X5 with her personal plate on it, she cried because she thought someone had stolen her plate. Apparently took her ages to understand this was her car. Anyway she hadn't even passed her test and was flying round (with l plates) in the big v8 petrol x5 - whatever size it was in that vintage ( prob early 2003 by then ) maybe the 4.6? Or 4.4 can't remember......

4.8i V8, by the sounds of it!

Fear the runaround fuel costs of that.

As most know, we bought our eldest a MINI Cooper for her 17th.  It had done 21,000 miles and was a fantastic first car.  Safe, easy to drive but not cheap to insure for her.  That was her car for 4 years and went with 69,000 miles on the clock (and plenty of dents and scratches).

We then bought her an Audi A1 1.4 TFSI S-Line for her 21st (with 3,250 miles on it).  That wasn't really planned but we decided it'd be the last purchase we made.  We insured and paid for everything on that too until she started full time work last September.  Actually, that's not strictly true as I bought her an Audi service pack in October that got her an oil inspection and major service.  She's used the first service but has the major to come from it.

That doesn't mean we're rolling in money, we're certainly not.  However, we could afford it and we wanted to try to give her the start we didn't have (albeit two starts!).

She's been looking, as I've mentioned elsewhere on here, at changing the A1 for a variety of cars.  BMW 2 series convertible, Audi A1, MINI Paceman, etc.  This will be her own money though.  She pays her own insurance, fuel, tyres etc now and she knows any future car has to be paid for by her.

Oddly enough, she's hesitating on changing the Audi now that we've been to all the dealers and she is beginning to appreciate how much cars cost... :roflmao:

Edited by NewNiceMrMe
2 people like this

I've been informed that the insurance is cheap while they're on a provisional licence because they will be supervised at all times.  When they pass their test is when it goes through the roof :(

We had a look at a couple of Toyota Aygos over the weekend, because they look more girly apparently.  I had hoped my days of trudging around grotty car lots were over but apparently not!

1 person likes this

We had a look at a couple of Toyota Aygos over the weekend, because they look more girly apparently.  I had hoped my days of trudging around grotty car lots were over but apparently not!

Ah, yes, the things that get factored into a young female's purchasing!

That said, I agree.  The Aygo is a much more chic and feminine looking car.  Can't really fault the mechanics or reliability of many Toyota cars either.

As for grotty car lots, I had to bite my tongue when we were looking with MrsMe's sister for her car recently.  She had a budget of £12k but some of the shit-holes and attitudes we encountered were horrifying.  You have my sympathy on that count because it doesn't make for a pleasant experience.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe
1 person likes this

I just ran the insurance quotes again based on her having a full licence - £1195 with a black box or £2200 without!  :cry:

Rewind - a school chum got bought an R8 for their first car? Do the parents have a massive life insurance policy on him or something as that'll seem hugely irresponsible when he understeers it into something/someone!!!!

She goes to a private school because she needs a lot of time off for her acting work, and most of her school friends' families are loaded.  It's great when they come to a party at mine and leave £40 bottles of wine behind, but not so much when it comes to comparing birthday presents.

1 person likes this

Just seen this too RobK, we in same boat and had been looking at the Polo too ...... looked reasonable to insure but yes as you say is for provisional only.   

Problem with the Aygo is that it isn't a Toyota, so you might just as well buy the Peugeot or Citroen version that you can pick up a bit cheaper and insure for slightly less.

Edited by Tipex

No, the problem is that it looks hideous and drives even worse... :roflmao:

Well, there is that, might as well buy the cheaper option if it's a consideration.

Just heard back from the broker that I've been recommending...

With regard to young/new drivers, a firm called "Marmalade" offer an add-on policy for learners.  You need to have your own policy for the car, but you can buy 30, 60 or 90 days of cover for a learner.  On a 2014 1.2l Polo, 90 days is £215.85.

Together with the underlying policy to cover me and Mrs P, that makes it slightly more than the Meerkats found for insuring it in the name of the learner driver.  However, when he passes, the add-on policy lapses, and then we can terminate the underlying policy, and take out a new young driver policy in his name with anyone we want.  Marmalade offer a black box policy that is very reasonable, apparently.  This differs from taking out a cheap Meerkats policy now in that we would then be tied to using them and paying whatever figure they come up with, or accepting their termination terms. 

I think my broker just earned his fee :)

No, the problem is that it looks hideous and drives even worse... :roflmao:

There you have it.  All the proof you need that patently has never had to go out and find a car for a young daughter. :roflmao:

You can think what you want - it doesn't matter.

You can recommend what you want - it doesn't matter.

You can tell them how shit it is - it doesn't matter.

All that matters is:

1.  How cool does it look?

2.  Can I get at least 3 friends in it?

3.  Will it run on fresh air?  No?  How much fuel are you putting in it every day for me?

4.  Will males think I look even more attractive in it?  Yes?  Go buy it.

2 people like this

3.  Will it run on fresh air?  No?  How much fuel are you putting in it every day for me?

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

There you have it. All the proof you need that patently has never had to go out and find a car for a young daughter. :roflmao:

All that matters is:

1. How cool does it look?

2. Can I get at least 3 friends in it?

3. Will it run on fresh air? No? How much fuel are you putting in it every day for me?

4. Will males think I look even more attractive in it? Yes? Go buy it.

In fairness, though, I have bought cars for Mrs P - for whom the exact same applies except substitute "children" for "friends" at no. 2 and omit no. 4*. Hence the 1st-gen X3 we ran for many years...

*I hope.

1 person likes this

Cheers for that info Patently, eldest currently looking at polo or fiesta (second hand) as he turns 17 week after next

We have used the Meerkats for all our policies.

You should see the collection of their bloody toys that we have.

Most recently we got the Superman variant and the 2-4-1 cinema tickets.  The T-Rex's in the house squabble over which Meerkat belongs to who.  I find that bemusing as I'm the only one that has ever pressed the "Buy" button on the website....

Cheers for that info Patently, eldest currently looking at polo or fiesta (second hand) as he turns 17 week after next

+++

Although you'll find the new ones are nicer :roflmao:

5 people like this

+++

Although you'll find the new ones are nicer :roflmao:

If he waits until she's 21 they'll be even better! :roflmao:

He will be 17, he will only be getting a new-to-him car .....  :roflmao:

1 person likes this

There you have it. All the proof you need that patently has never had to go out and find a car for a young daughter. :roflmao:

All that matters is:

1. How cool does it look?

2. Can I get at least 3 friends in it?

3. Will it run on fresh air? No? How much fuel are you putting in it every day for me?

4. Will males think I look even more attractive in it? Yes? Go buy it.

What about:

"What colour is it"

and

"What is it again? It may help me when thinking of a suitable name for her"

2 people like this

Well, it's his birthday today and he left the house at his normal time to catch the bus to college.  There was a brief moment of confusion when he saw this on the drive, though.

post-6667-0-06929000-1461918388_thumb.jp

It's not his car; it's ours.  We're not that generous.  But it is for his use, for now :)

7 people like this

Well, it's his birthday today and he left the house at his normal time to catch the bus to college.  There was a brief moment of confusion when he saw this on the drive, though.

attachicon.gifIMG_1276w.jpg

It's not his car; it's ours.  We're not that generous.  But it is for his use, for now :)

College today will be so long and so slow.......  :roflmao:

1 person likes this

Well, it's his birthday today and he left the house at his normal time to catch the bus to college. There was a brief moment of confusion when he saw this on the drive, though.

IMG_1276w.jpg

It's not his car; it's ours. We're not that generous. But it is for his use, for now :)

A red car on your drive in one piece, undamaged, shiny side up and not on fire - I'd be confused too.

3 people like this

So we went and purchased a 2007 Aygo Black Edition at the weekend.  It's got alloy wheels and everything!

4 people like this

Started doing practice drives with Master P yesterday. His verdict on the Polo? "Really good car, the best one you could have got me".

*Dad Broad Smile Moment*

4 people like this