Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AZURES3

Any Nissan Qashqai owners

12 posts in this topic

The wife has decided her 5 year old VW Tiguan needs replacing 2 weeks after my M235i arrived lol

Seems the Qashqai is very popular in the roads and in the press but wondered if anyone on here has one in their family.

Options:-

Nissan Qasgqai Tekna 4WD, healthy discount available

12 month old existing VW Tiguan, good deals with new model now launched

Possible stretch to be VW Tiguan that looks nice but has become expensive

Seat altecea which is the new VW Tiguan with £4k's of option and £6k cheaper

Edited by AZURES3

A friend has a Quashqai, it's a great car, my only criticism would be that they feel a bit cheap inside, typical Japanese car interior really, nothing inherently wrong with it, just, Japanese, coming from a Tiguan I think you'd really notice it.

Completely second hand info and may be rubbish but said mate was told by a mechanic in the Nissan dealers (clearly an idiot slagging off the brand he works for, so make what you want of it) that Nissan isn't what it used to be, the tie up with Renault apparently means most Nissans are Renaults underneath and consequently not reliable or well built any more.

As I say, that isn't my opinion I'm just passing on what a friend was told, I have no experience of modern Nissan, only owning a Skyline GTR and Pulsar GTiR some years ago.

Edited by Tipex

Yep, I bought a new one almost 2 years ago when the new model was launched for a family bus.

Tekna model has almost everything you could possibly want and the value can not be beaten imho. If I was specing an Audi , BMW or VW I would shell out for 3/4 of the options but they are nice to have.

I looked at all the rivals at the time and really didn't like the Tiguan in comparison. Also looked at second hand RR Sports and BMW X5s.

The only issue I picked up was certain gearboxes, engines and 4 wheel drive options didn't go together. I can't remember exactly now but it was something like you couldn't have a 4 wheel drive auto. I think things have changed now though so look into it.

The cabin quality is decent enough and I haven't noticed much difference to the previous VWs I've had. I did have an issue with my climate control but that was fixed quickly under warranty with no issues.

Still happy almost 2 years later and the car on the whole feels nicer than the price of the product. Don't expect

The last word on handling but then I guess you wouldn't be looking at this type of car if that was the most important thing.

CarWow do some fantastic offers and your local Nissan should match the price as its from another main dealer.

Should also add my best mate used mine for a weekend. The next time I saw him he had a new one parked on his drive so I guess he liked it. That was 6 months ago and he hasn't had any issues.

Edited by billy2shots

Thanks both I had heard from a colleague that he was worried how much was Renault underneath but hadn't had any issues. The Tekna model is very heavily loaded with tech and some big discounts too. Ideally we wanted the auto and 4WD but you can only have manual with 4WD .

Edited by AZURES3

Nissan & Renaul do of course share a lot of chassis stuff.

However, IIRC, the off-road Renaults were based on the off-road Nissan bits

The normal Nissan cars were based on Renault car chassis.

I also think the Nissan tie up and increased Renault's reliability if anything, and given Nissan from design flair.  Almera anyone?

This doesn't sound great from Carbuyer review:-

The Nissan Qashqai has experienced a tough time in our 2015 Driver Power customer satisfaction survey. In 2014, it was ranked 21st out of 150 cars overall, but in 2015 it tumbled to 46th out of 200 cars. Although owners were pretty happy with the car's practicality, running costs and the way it drives, its reliability was called into question.

It finished in 148th position for reliability and languished in 158th place for build quality. That's a very poor start for a car that it still relatively new.

In comparison, the Skoda Yeti was ranked 31st and fourth respectively for reliability and build quality, while the Kia Sportage finished in 82nd and 107th place respectively.

Read more: Nissan Qashqai SUV reliability & safety | Carbuyer http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/nissan/qashqai/hatchback/reliability#ixzz46eSCFmJ6

Edited by AZURES3

We bought our Qashqai last month - a one year old Acenta Plus with the 1.5dCi engine (zero road tax). Coincidentally the other car in our household is my 2014 EB M235i which I've owned for a year. The QQ was formerly owned by Nissan as one of their fleet cars - we got it for an absolute snip at £16.5k. Coming from a previously owned Juke, the QQ is a big step up in comfort and refinement. We recently had a 3 hour drive to Oban and I have to say I really enjoyed driving the QQ, completely different experience to the BMW of course but with the sat nav, panoramic glass roof, DAB radio on and quiet engine it made for a very pleasant trip.

I have read negative comments about reliability on the QQ forums but we are happy with our purchase. I gave the car a hand wash today and the panel fits and build quality are far superior than the Juke, probably says more about the dubious quality of the Juke than the QQ though. If somebody asked me if I'd recommend the QQ, I wouldn't hesitate in saying yes. Coming from a Tiguan you may feel like it is a step down in quality but your wallet won't get as big a pounding. Go and test drive one, if you haven't already, and hopefully you will enjoy it.

I have to say I'm very surprised to read of reliability complaints on the Qashqai.

We have a few friends that own them and they all love them.  

Another thing the Qashqai has over the Tiguan is a big factor - they hold their money very well indeed.  

The wife old one was faultless not a thing went wrong on it. 

We were going to get another but decided to got the 2 series as it was a much better buy and just as much space and as we found a demonstrator with loads of options as well equipped. 

I thought I'd add this as Speedywheels mentioned a Tiguan.

We looked at a 2.0 TDi variant whilst helping MrsMe's sister to buy a car a month or so ago.  It was a nice car and bigger than I thought (in the flesh as opposed to seeing one in traffic).  However, even compared to the Ford C-Max she ended up buying, it didn't feel anything special.  The fit and finish was possibly better, I'd concede that, but I'd have chosen a Qashqai over a Tiguan every day of the week and wouldn't see it as a downgrade at all.

In her case, she didn't like the looks of the Qashqai and it was ruled out at the start.  I thought that was a silly decision but the C-Max is a very impressive car anyway.

A friend has a Quashqai, it's a great car, my only criticism would be that they feel a bit cheap inside, typical Japanese car interior really, nothing inherently wrong with it, just, Japanese, coming from a Tiguan I think you'd really notice it.

Completely second hand info and may be rubbish but said mate was told by a mechanic in the Nissan dealers (clearly an idiot slagging off the brand he works for, so make what you want of it) that Nissan isn't what it used to be, the tie up with Renault apparently means most Nissans are Renaults underneath and consequently not reliable or well built any more.

As I say, that isn't my opinion I'm just passing on what a friend was told, I have no experience of modern Nissan, only owning a Skyline GTR and Pulsar GTiR some years ago.

I would take the Qashqai over the Tiguan every day. The interior of the lastest version is in a different league to previous generations; they aimed for a 'German' feel and hit it. I would say it's almost on par with my Audi.

Renault dance to Nissan's tune in so many respects, too. They've dragged Renault up, not the other way round.

The spec Nissan throw at cars as standard puts others to shame.

What I would say is their engines are never going to light to roads up, I find the petrol engines slow and thirsty, the diesels not so, which is a shame as they are often the Achilles heel of their cars.

Renault dance to Nissan's tune in so many respects, too. They've dragged Renault up, not the other way round.

The latest reliability/satisfaction surveys suggest differently.

No one is dancing to anyone's tune, it's a simple parts/technology sharing, Renault produce cheaper parts to a lower standard, Nissan have started dipping in to the cheaper parts more than Renault will ever dip in to more expensive parts.

All in my opinion of course.