New Car Time

Mac

So, been having hell of a time trying to find something to replace the M3 - it's been such a capable and fun car, I've loved every minute of it...But it's getting old. I've put 130k miles on it now, and its feeling its age. Not in the engine, but inside, and also the tech is feeling a bit age old.

No real criteria beyond needed to be fun to drive really. Liked the idea of something different as the M4/M3 didn't feel special enough to warrant the 50-60k price tag. Better than my car of course in every single way, and yet didn't really feel like an event so to speak, so the price put me off.

Test drove quite a few:

• Audi RSQ5 - noisy, went like stink, cabin was ace but...underwhelmed. Handling felt a bit rubbery, the noise...was unpleasant.
  • Audi RS3. Wasn't sold on this anyway even before I had a go. Holy cow it's fast! But...a bit meh. 
  • BMW M4 - see comments above. Price put me off, as I want to do a bit more travelling this year, and buy a bigger place.
  • BMW 340 - this was nearly the one. Was fast, relatively fun to drive, but couldn't find a touring locally....Now, to convince myself a tourer is what I wanted (like the idea I can get my bikes and stuff in the back - probably my fave feature of the RS4) I went to test drive a 335d(!) xDrive....

....and yeah, liked it. Very different to the M3 so doesn't really feel like a step down. Still blindingly quick (holy cow, off the line it's pretty phenomenal). Also - launch control. In a diesel.

Anyways, ticked all the boxes, and at mid-30k was in the right price point. Was getting a bit sick of looking to be honest, so I just went with it. So far....Yeah, it's good. Noise isn't as diesel as I expected - the RSQ5 sounded like a bag of spanners in comparison. Relatively quiet, and incredibly pokey. I find it a little underpowered at 60-censored but that could be me not being used to the power delivery and the auto box.

Have the say the 8 speed auto is :o It's nothing like I remember autos being like. 

Anyways, yeah, so I did a sensible.

car1.jpg

• Like 2

Nice +++ - I was close on a 335D before but it was auto only and that ruled it out due to the Mrs!

Intrigued why you went for the X-drive?

p.s. She may not get a say in the gearbox in the next car we buy. Time she got over it!  :rolleyes:

With regards to finding it a bit underpowered at 60+, you might well find it's your driving style, especially coming from an M3, try and surf the low rev torque, you don't need to change down gears much, it might not feel like you're accelerating very fast at first but watch the speedo and it often tells another story.

I'm often surprised at how quick even 4 pot diesels can be if you get everything just right once on the move, overtaking is pretty easy with bags of torque.

Having never driven a 335d it might just be that it's not that quick above 60, but I'd be surprised, something I'm sure Ben can sort for you if necessary.

I've only ever been in a mapped 335d around the Nurburgring, one of Mook's friends, it was bloody quick.

Edited by Tipex

Aha, no, it's either going to a mate or to the dealer....Mate is insisting he wants it, personally I think he's nuts but hey ho.

Goodbye day will be Tuesday/Wednesday. Sad times.

As a side note, sussed the lack of power on the motorway. It's the ecopower rubbish. Turn it off and it's sprightly as hell. Odd isn't it - work in IT, yet I rarely bugger about with the tech in the cars...as I can't be bothered.

I rarely bugger about with the tech in the cars...as I can't be bothered.

I don't think many do to be honest, it's all kind of 'set and forget' really isn't it, aside from switching radio station, adjusting the interior temp or inputting a sat nav destination, I'm not sure anyone ever really uses any of the other tech?

I'm not sure anyone ever really uses any of the other tech?

Yes, they do.   I use a lot more than the features you've described on almost every single trip I make (other than local driving). 

That may be because the majority of trips are between 120-380 miles so I'm in the car for very long periods of time on single outings and I use the features because of that.  It keeps me connected with what I need to know without breaking the law on a phone/iPad.

Oh I'm sure people do. I just struggle to get that interested in it. Was still using my phone TomTom today, ahaha.

Although it did take me a blank-look-minute to work out my music was working and I hadn't plugged my phone in yet.