Sky or BT fibre broadband

RobK

I've just signed up for a Sky TV package including unlimited fibre broadband, but now I'm wondering if I should have gone with BT instead. BT would be very slightly cheaper but is 52Mb/s instead of Sky's 38Mb/s. Thing is at my house the estimated actual speed is showing as 33Mb/s so would it make any difference anyway? 

BT will give you free BT sport (turn the sound down) which includes champions league.

They now only give you BT Sport Lite Free, you need to pay £5/mth to get the good stuff.

It may be different with Infinity though.Sadly, it's not reached my area yet.

Edited by Cuprabob

However that free option is in standard definition isn't it? My newish TV hates SD football and BT SD on my computer looks awful (BT at a different property so I use the app at home)

I was going to change yo BT a year ago but Sky gave me unlimited Fibre for £5 a month for 12 months. That has just finished so I may shop around myself now.

I got free Sky unlimited fibre and just have to pay the cost of the line rental, but then you can get a cashback deal with BT that makes it a similar price.  I hate the Home Hub 5 though so I think I'll take my chances with the Sky Q hub.  

I just renewed with BT after coming to the end of a brilliant deal. Got Unlimited Infinity and all sports in HD for £14.99 per month in an over the phone negotiated deal.

They will move from their standard prices.

They clearly like you more than me.

I moved my folks from BT to Sky fibre and BT wouldn't budge on prices as the discount was for new customers only.

In this day and age with no change in number etc and just unplug 1 router to plug I another it was a doddle.

I hate the new Sky Hub though. Have to keep rebooting it at least once a week with random connection dropouts. Might be the rubbish line at my parents though

Edited by Waylander

I find it makes no difference to speed whatsoever with any of the providers.

We are currently on BT infinity fibre but they have just upped the price again, none of the new 'services' they are using to justify the price increase are of any interest to us whatsoever.

Not only that, but fibre is utter crap, it's around half the speed we were getting on 'normal' broadband, so we've just switched to Sky Q with non fibre unlimited broadband, if it's crap I can always upgrade to fibre again, but I know it won't be.

Don't know about new customers but we got BT Sport in full HD for free with BT Broadband.

Since Virgin VIVID was launched I have to admit I've got no complaints at all.

I used to whine like hell about the 120mb service never getting anywhere near the mark.

However, the new Superhub and VIVID has transformed our speed.

This was taken a moment ago (forget the GMT time, it was 5.04pm).

5322691656.png

Since Virgin VIVID was launched I have to admit I've got no complaints at all.

I used to whine like hell about the 120mb service never getting anywhere near the mark.

However, the new Superhub and VIVID has transformed our speed.

This was taken a moment ago (forget the GMT time, it was 5.04pm).

5322691656.png

120mb?

FFS!

In Leeds we don't even get 1!

You do realise that Plusnet are owned by BT don't you?  So not exactly bollocks to BT.

I didn't actually! However, given that I can't get Virgin (capital V or otherwise...) and BT retains a monopoly on the bits of wire, I can't really say bollocks to BT whoever I choose. But I can say bollocks to their expensive customer offerings, poor customer service and shit television.

poor customer service and shit television.

Personally (domestically at least, don't even start me on Openreach) I've had no problems with BT.

We've been with them nearly 2 years now, after the first year they negotiated with us and we got a decent deal, this year they just won't budge on price so we used the price rise get out clause and told them to feck orf.

Other than Fibre being crap, the BT Vision You View box works almost as well as Sky+, and has all the same channels bar Sky One and Atlantic, there are no channels we missed and several hundred we were glad not to have to wade through (Sky really does have some utterly pointless and unwatchable channels).

My only real criticism of the BT TV box is that the remote is annoyingly unresponsive and doesn't have an AV select button on the TV controls, and it often misses the last minute of whatever it records, however Sky boxes do this as well, they just have the facility to record extra minutes (user configurable) which solves the problem, the BT box does not currently have this feature, it could easily be added in a future update and according to BT, it will be.

It does have some good features too, such as automatically finding and recording a repeat showing if a recording fails, including searching on demand services, it has Netflix and all the iPlayers etc built in to the apps section and you never lose the picture when it rains because all the content is delivered via the internet.

Overall we were pretty happy with BT TV, we were early adopters of the new boxes so hoped they would iron out the few annoying flaws with updates but sadly in 2 years they haven't, this time we've gone for SkyQ Silver with two additional mini boxes (I'm amazed Sky don't charge monthly for these, it's going to cost them a fortune as people ditch Multiroom and just pay the one off £99 for an additional box) and we'll see how we get on, it should be very useful as it utilises powerline technology and all the Mini Q Boxes act as WiFi extenders, so we should get better WiFi in the harder reach areas of the house.

We can't get Virgin here, I find that a bit odd really as we can get everyone else so no idea why we can't get Virgin.

It's very common that people can't get Virgin.  To get Virgin they have to have laid their cabling infrastructure in your street - they can't deliver their broadband (other than their sh1t ADSL which is best avoided at all costs) over the Openreach managed copper cabling.

It's a shame,  I had Virgin at my previous 2 houses but can't get it where I am now.  BT Infinity is working very well and I'm liking the extra upstream bandwidth I get but given the choice I'd probably have gone for Virgin.

Overall we were pretty happy with BT TV, we were early adopters of the new boxes so hoped they would iron out the few annoying flaws with updates but sadly in 2 years they haven't, this time we've gone for SkyQ Silver with two additional mini boxes (I'm amazed Sky don't charge monthly for these, it's going to cost them a fortune as people ditch Multiroom and just pay the one off £99 for an additional box) and we'll see how we get on, it should be very useful as it utilises powerline technology and all the Mini Q Boxes act as WiFi extenders, so we should get better WiFi in the harder reach areas of the house.

I looked at Sky Q but went with normal Sky+ with an extra box in the end.  I only need one extra box and Q would have been something like £35 extra a month.  I don't think the powerline bit is currently implemented so I'm not sure how effective the wifi extender would be.  I have ordered the Q hub though as the old Sky hub was rubbish.