Andy_Bangle

BMW launches 335bhp M140i and M240i

41 posts in this topic

For those who've been waiting on the stats, BMW have now released the numbers and they're lower than previously reported, no doubt to 'protect' the M2.

The M badged models make use of a new 3.0-litre six-cylinder engine that produces 335bhp and 369lb ft of torque, which is 14bhp and 37lb ft up on the six-cylinder of the outgoing M135i and M235i.

For comparison the X3 M40i gets 355HP from the same engine. 

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/bmw-launches-335bhp-m140i-and-m240i-and-iperformance-range

Not as big a gap as some where hoping then. 

I might think about a 340i GT when its launched but most likely will end up with another 30d I suspect. 

It wasn't exactly a sluggish engine before, plus that extra torque should be noticeable.

Shhh!  Don't tell AZ!  :P

Although the wait for one of these new beasties would be horrendous!?

September delivery so not so bad. No where near as much support though from BNW uk. (For now)

It wasn't exactly a sluggish engine before, plus that extra torque should be noticeable.

BMW have certainly made lots of changes under the skin, be interesting to see some reviews on how it compares with the M2.

240i rated at 369 ft-lbs vs M2 at 343 (369 with overboost), but of course the M2 is more about the handling. People say the M2 has no real competitor but apparently it does - M240  ^_^

M240i x-Drive anyone? 

Edited by Andy_Bangle

It can't just be me that's getting annoyed with the model names now.

M140i!!!!

Ok I get the 135/235/whatever 35 because they have a 3 litre AND turbocharged goodness but what does the 40 have to claim a 4 and a 0? Surely this is just the newest incarnation of the 135/235 so should be badged, I don't know? 135/235 maybe!

It's not just BMW of course and all those 135 owners will now be twitching because their cars are 5 less than the upcoming models. Marketing genius.

I only swap for a 7 or 8 improvement. Now if it was 11 better if be totally sold.

The X5/6 40d, 640d, etc - all have the 3.0 diesel engine.

So despite there being an X5 30d, it has the same basic engine as the X5 40d.

The E39 540i had a 4.4 litre engine whereas the E63 645Ci had the same 4.4 litre unit..... :roflmao:

I cannot wait to be able to drive an M180 along the M180 to Grimsby.

1 person likes this

I wouldn't want to drive anything to Grimsby!

1 person likes this

There's a reason why the numbers and the engines don't match up any more.

Trademark-related :secret:

I only swap for a 7 or 8 improvement. Now if it was 11 better if be totally sold.

eleven_tufnel.gif

There's a reason why the numbers and the engines don't match up any more.

Trademark-related :secret:

Another car marque has done the sneaky and grabbed them all?

No. 

This is purely my guess, but I reckon that BMW want to establish that the main model numbers are theirs only.  But you can only do that if it is a distinctive trademark.  You can't do it if it is a descriptive term.  So in the days when "120d" mean "car size 1, engine 2.0 diesel" and "330i" meant "car size 3, engine 3.0 petrol injection", they were descriptive of the type of product that you were buying. 

Now that "M135i" is a car with a 3.0 litre engine, the argument that it is a simple description of the product starts to break down.  Which means that BMW can start to point to the reputation that the trademark has acquired as evidence that it is now a distinctive mark.  That enables them to claim marks like M135i as their own.

They've been doing it for a good while, both the E36 and E46 323i cars had a 2.5 litre engine, and the E60 535d had a 3.0 twin turbo.   But the process does seem to have accelerated in recent years.

There is no logic in the stratergy though. Take the 3.0 twin turbo diesel. It came out as a 35d then it was uprated for various models and became the 40d. Except for in the 3, 4 and 5 series. Here it remains the 35d even though the petrol equivalent has become the 40i.

It started a long time ago. Remember the 525e. The Eco special E28 that had a 2.7 litre lump. Turbo charging created the E23 745i but it had a 3.2 litre lump.

Agree with what P is saying though. 35i is a BMW designation to me and always will be.

Edited by jimdiesel

I've met the head of model naming at BMW. She's German, trust me there will be a logic in there somewhere…

Her English is superb, though, after an hour or so I actually forgot she was German. Then someone sneezed and she said "Gesundheit!".

Blah...blah...blah...

Was she fit?

Edited by Cuprabob
2 people like this

Yes. Why do think I remember the meeting?

3 people like this

They seem to re-set the No.s when they release a new model often with a different engine, they did this with the 328i which has now moved back to a 330i. Then when it has the facelift the new uprated engines get a new name to show the increase in performance. 

Its been going on for years its just that there are so so many more models in the BMW arsenal than they used to be it seem more prevalent. 

Head of model naming sounds like the cushiest job going.

Still waiting for Ford to name some more cars after razz mags again.

1 person likes this

Still waiting for Ford to name some more cars after razz mags again.

They'd have to name them after razz websites these days wouldn't they?

I await the arrival of the Ford Xvideos!

Edited by Tipex
1 person likes this