Petrol or Diesel

AudiPartner

Ok, so based on my pretty limited knowledge I'm rapidly going off the idea of diesels. They are very advanced, but it seems to come at a price. My friend has lots of DPF issues with his A3, and our 7k mile old Vauxhall Mokka needs an oil service "down to the way we drive it". That's DPF related too I think he said.

So as I consider signing up on a 3 year PCP on an A7, I need to decide which engine to choose; the 3.0 TFSI or the 3.0 BiTDI. I only do around 8k miles per year, but we do the odd long run, so TDI mpg would be good on those occasions, but I guess not essential in the great scheme of things. The BiTDi is also £3500 more expensive than the TFSi so on my mileage, and with diesel costing more at the pumps, would it even cost in?

And then I think there probably isn't a great deal in it, I should just get the one I want. But the residual of the BiTDI would be better wouldn't it? But then that's 3 years down the line - who knows where we'll be in the petrol v's diesel game in three years time...

Having typed this I think I already know the answer - test drive them both and get the one I like the best. But still, I always welcome the opinions of those who are more informed than myself!  :coffee:

You won't break even on a diesel until you hit around 20k a year, over that and you start to save on fuel.

DPF equipped diesels generally don't like short runs where they don't get up to temperature, this is what causes the DPF issues as they require heat to regenerate and clean themselves out.

Personally I'd not buy a diesel for short runs or low annual mileage.

• Like 1

From what you have said I'd look at the petrol.

When I had my 330i instead of the 330d I saved big time and I do 10k a year approx. 

The car way 3k cheaper used than the 330d for the same spec / mileage. Everyone said I'd lose out on depreciation but not really as when I came to sell the car the diesel at that point was only worth £500 more. Fuel over that time I'd have had to have done 100k at the time to break even on the diesel so again a win win. 

I've just got back off holiday and only had a 1.0 Focus estate petrol and it was great, like my wife car it made a nice noise and was far quieter than a similar diesel. If it wasn't for BMW swapping a 4cylinder in for the old 3ltr straight 6 I think I'd get another over the diesel with my mileage. 

Having said all that the 313 BiTDi is pretty epic and feels faster than the TFSI. At least in an A6 avant it does. Just under 5 sec 0-62 it's a seriously rapid thing. Never had any DPF issues on ours - now at 60k and it's a June 2012 model. Warms up very quickly

Having said all that the 313 BiTDi is pretty epic and feels faster than the TFSI. At least in an A6 avant it does. Just under 5 sec 0-62 it's a seriously rapid thing. Never had any DPF issues on ours - now at 60k and it's a June 2012 model. Warms up very quickly

You see its comments like that that makes things very difficult!!! 

I share this thought process entirely. Just my tuppence worth...

Same here.  I bought a diesel 5 series because I was doing 35k miles pa.  I bought a diesel Discovery because they don't do a petrol. 

Now I'm at around 12k miles pa and I've ordered the Cayenne in a lovely lovely petrol engine oh my I can't wait not long now so lovely can't wait can't wait...

• Like 3

Ok, so based on my pretty limited knowledge I'm rapidly going off the idea of diesels. They are very advanced, but it seems to come at a price. My friend has lots of DPF issues with his A3, and our 7k mile old Vauxhall Mokka needs an oil service "down to the way we drive it". That's DPF related too I think he said.

So as I consider signing up on a 3 year PCP on an A7, I need to decide which engine to choose; the 3.0 TFSI or the 3.0 BiTDI. I only do around 8k miles per year, but we do the odd long run, so TDI mpg would be good on those occasions, but I guess not essential in the great scheme of things. The BiTDi is also £3500 more expensive than the TFSi so on my mileage, and with diesel costing more at the pumps, would it even cost in?

And then I think there probably isn't a great deal in it, I should just get the one I want. But the residual of the BiTDI would be better wouldn't it? But then that's 3 years down the line - who knows where we'll be in the petrol v's diesel game in three years time...

Having typed this I think I already know the answer - test drive them both and get the one I like the best. But still, I always welcome the opinions of those who are more informed than myself!  :coffee:

Doing just 8k a year, if you are serious about a petrol, and now your RS6 has gone, does it have to be a 3 year lease from new?

I'd suggest considering an Audi Approved S7.  Massively under-rated V8, the prefacelifts were rated at 414 bhp, but were making more like 450 bhp out the box stock when run in on 99 fuel.  With half cylinder shut down, they are even fairly economical on a cruise.   Facelifts are rated at 450 bhp.  MRC stage 1 map is stealthy and RS6 levels of power...

Something like this?  Sept 2015 '65' with 3,500 miles.  List currently 64,380 before options.  LED matric headlights.  Says 'SD card satellite navigation system', but the MMI screen and touchpad are clearly HDD Nav.  In fact it looks like it has Tech Pack Advanced to me - so it would have head up display too

http://www.audi.co.uk/used-cars/used-car-locator/a7/4.0-t-fsi-quattro-450-ps/nottingham/605720674-15232.aspx

Negotiate two free services as part of the deal to cover running costs.  Or go slightly older and save even more.  Or buy an S6 and save even more still!

PS.  What kind of age is your friends A3 with the DPF issues?

I know Ian, I've been there, trust me. For £8k more than that, there's a 65 plate RS7, with 2k miles.

But the deals are just generally better on new cars. The A7s that I have spec'd are being offered at 25% off list price when using Audi finance and I think the APR is also better on new cars. Plus it's new, so in three years time I will be selling a one owner car.

As I lay here typing this, a V8 or V10 just rumbled past!!! Argghh what to do??!!!!

Edited by AudiPartner
  • Like 2

Against popular wisdom, we do 5k a year and bought a 2l diesel Passat. I love it, the engine that is. Enough grunt right where you need it, economical and despite pottering about and largely short journeys, the DPF has given few issues. In truth I also bought it because I had the romantic notion of doing UK holidays in it and overnight long trips to the south coast to see my parents with the kids in the back. Neither of those things have happened or are imminent of course ...

I get all that, I do. But why a sooty-chucker for so little miles?? I'll do more than 8k on my bike in a year. Sounds like it makes more financial sense to do so, which is of course logical, so why the dilemma? Pick one and enjoy it

I know Ian, I've been there, trust me. For £8k more than that, there's a 65 plate RS7, with 2k miles.

But the deals are just generally better on new cars. The A7s that I have spec'd are being offered at 25% off list price when using Audi finance and I think the APR is also better on new cars. Plus it's new, so in three years time I will be selling a one owner car.

As I lay here typing this, a V8 or V10 just rumbled past!!! Argghh what to do??!!!!

The other thing to note is the super sports seats found in the S/RS7 (and an option on A7) make it a 4 seater, not a 5.

If you were only considering new in order to keep the price down, and five seats are required....

Ultra low mileage 2014 prefacelift S6 at an independent not a million miles from you.  Not humongous spec, but does have HD Nav, keyless, carbon trim and Milltek exhaust.  You can borrow £25,000 at 3.5% nowadays, another option possibly, finance it yourself?

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/audi/s6/audi-s6-saloon-4-0-tfsi-s-tronic-quattro-4dr-cod-start-stop/5404310

If I didn't do the miles I do, I wouldn't have a 520d (as much as I absolutely love it).

I'd have a petrol.

Forgetting everyting else about the make, model, engine size, etc.  There'd be no debate whatsoever.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

IanC you should be on commission!

Haha, well you can employee me if you like, I just sourced and negotiated on a car for a relative.  +++

Did have a look on Audi, Auto Trader, Pistonheads (and Fontain) earlier - sadly no early facelift S6 Avants for sale atm

The prefacelift Avant is 226g/km CO2 which makes them cost twice as much to tax as the 225g 4dr.  Both facelift body shells are under the 225 threshold (as is the facelift RS6).  Facelift is circa Feb 2015 iirc

Cheapest facelift Avant currently at Audi, Sept 2015 '65' with 8500 miles, £45k, fairly plain spec with Tech pack and 20s - and you mention you like Moonlight blue?!  I would expect a Feb / March 2015 early facelift Avant to be priced more like £40k @ Audi (list price with paint currently £59,990)

http://www.audi.co.uk/used-cars/used-car-locator/a6/4.0-tfsi-quattro-cod-avant/chingford/605621685-791795.aspx

I'm sure you probably know this already, but it's no coincidence there are loads of 6 / 7 / 8 month old S6s and S7s @ Audi.  Volkswagen Audi Group company car employees have a car for six months before the dealers bid internally for them.  They can be a good buy - they might have been driven by solely one person from delivery, and (imo) are a considerably safer bet than a dealership demo / courtesy car (which get taken home at night by dealership employees, or if they are sportier models, taken off to 'Audi showcase' days and driven by dealer-invited members of the public etc)

The S6 above KX65 WGA was registered 1st September 2015 and shows as untaxed - tax due (expired) 30th March 2016.  The dealer's clearly had it a while - and it will just be carted off to auction if unsold after 90 days - so there would definitely be a deal to be done!

That one isn't even that far from you!  Spent over 12 hours on the road in total in May to view and to collect aforementioned family car, a 4:30am and 5:30am departure respectively, but sometimes its worth traveling for the right spec car at the right price