Petrol or Diesel

AudiPartner

Cheers Ian, a helpful and interesting post.

After seeing the facelift A7/S7 yesterday I'm afraid I'm very much in that camp now. By comparison I find the A6 a little bland (and I have spent hours looking at these including the allroad). So for now it's an A7.

Just need to decide 3.0 TFSI or the Bitdi!! I did some basic mileage cost calculations based on an average of 30mpg v's an av of 40mpg and it amounted to just an £1100 difference over the 3 years. And yet I still can't cross that blasted bitdi off my list!!

Cheers Ian, a helpful and interesting post.

After seeing the facelift A7/S7 yesterday I'm afraid I'm very much in that camp now. By comparison I find the A6 a little bland (and I have spent hours looking at these including the allroad). So for now it's an A7.

Just need to decide 3.0 TFSI or the Bitdi!! I did some basic mileage cost calculations based on an average of 30mpg v's an av of 40mpg and it amounted to just an £1100 difference over the 3 years. And yet I still can't cross that blasted bitdi off my list!!

Agree with Chas - take both advertised figures with a pinch of salt!  For example, none of the B8 S4 guys on RS246 and Audi SRS are getting 30 mpg averages (manual or auto, pre or post facelift)

Are they really that far out or does everybody drive with lead feet these days? :uhoh:

I have no idea what the quoted figures are to be honest I was going on the figures AP mentioned. We've done 60k in the bitdi and if you put it in economy drive select more and really really think about economy and overtake no one and trundle along at 65-70 you can get 45 mpg. But it's boring.

Ours is permanently in dynamic for throttle and what not and the long term average is 31 something I think.

If you boot it, you may as well have a petrol!!

Ours is permanently in dynamic for throttle and what not and the long term average is 31 something I think.

Chas, does 'efficiency' decrease the power output, or mean that 100% throttle is not actually 100% throttle?

Was driving an Audi the other week and it felt like you had to give it 50% throttle to do anything.  Like it the first half the throttle pedal was dead travel, and the last half of the travel went from 0% to 100%

Perhaps the different drive select modes change the throttle map.  But 100% foot down is actually 100% open throttle in all modes?

I have this in my BMW, I drive in sport most of the time purely for the throttle response. It irritates me that I have to do this as I then holds in lower gears WAY too long but I can't stand in comfort that nothing happens with the throttle until literally 50% depressed. 

And if you are doing 8K a year, then there is no way you'll get the adveertised.

In my A8 3.0 TDi, I was getting an average of 38.  Official figure was 43.

In my current A8 4.2 V8, I get 22.  But it's on gas so on my same journey, it is saving my £70 a month compared to the 3.0 TDi.

I do fill it every day though - so that is a pain (the tank gets to half after a full commute and I don't like my fuel tanks going below half). 

Gas prices range from 47p p/l at the gas depot to 61p p/l on the A1.  Not sure about getting a nice new V8 converted to gas though!!

I have this in my BMW, I drive in sport most of the time purely for the throttle response. It irritates me that I have to do this as I then holds in lower gears WAY too long but I can't stand in comfort that nothing happens with the throttle until literally 50% depressed. 

I can't remember the last time I needed to move mine into Sport its always in comfort. 

Maybe it has learnt when I need it to get on a bit but I never find it slow witted at all. More often I'm frustrated that on my journey to and from work I rarely get the chance to put my foot to the floor its that busy most of the time. 

Economy mode in the bitdi is horrible. Ok for pootling but it won't kick down more than a gear - and feels like you're driving a 2 tdi.

Not sure if it only gives half power certainly seems like it. To be honest not used t in about 2 years and it lives in dynamic :-)

Edited by chasdrury

Just out of interest, why is that?

Must be a complete ball ache going to the petrol station twice as often as you need to.

Just an OCD thing I think.  And I'll only use Shell petrol/diesel and didn't want the hassle of having to find one if I was getting low.

Fuel always seems to go quicker in the lower half of the tank! :rolleyes:

In the A8 diesel, I was at the station every 2 days filling the other half of the tank.

Also you're technicaly negatively effecting the fuel economy. As you're always carrying around a heavier car than needs be.

Very true and often overlooked as to just how big an impact it can have, especially on a car the size of an A8.

Here's an example for you:

I fill the 5 series up and usually have a range of between 680-800 miles depending on the length of trips I've been doing.

I run it until around 50 miles in the tank.

When the car is more than half full, compared to when it down at the 50-100 mile range mark, I know for certain I lose about 2 mpg....

Both petrol and diesel are lighter than water: Diesel ~ 870g / litre and petrol 770g / litre

But that still makes an 80 litre tank of diesel ~70kg

That the weight of an extra decent sized adult on board that you're lugging around.  

Also you're technicaly negatively effecting the fuel economy. As you're always carrying around a heavier car than needs be.

Very true.  Put it this way, one of the big efforts re the Caterham that I've been making this year is to manage my fuel more effectively.  I've started tracking the amount of fuel I use during a race, and only putting in the specific amount that I expect to need (plus a safety margin).  As a result, the car's race weight is a good few kilograms lighter; for me that translates into better performance whereas on the road it will mean better economy if drvien in the same style. 

It's only one of a few changes I've made, but they have resulted in lap times at Snetterton of around 2:17 this year instead of 2:23 or so in late 2014.  That's a 4% improvement. 

• Like 1