AudiPartner

Petrol or Diesel

92 posts in this topic

That's got to be worth two or three rows on the grid. +++

1 person likes this

I see what you are all saying and I have known that, but for my own peace of mind, that is the way I am.

When it's less than half, I find I am always glancing at it much much more.  In case it just disappears.  Just like that................... 

What's that?  Wierdo?  Hell yeah.   :roflmao:

I can understand it if you're trekking into the outback. Not so sure about the daily commute up the A1 from Stevenage tho. :roflmao:

2 people like this

I know how you feel - when I get to day three of the reserve light being on, I do start to sweat a little when I'm dropping the boys to school.

Ha ha, I don't even think about it until the light comes on, then once I'm about 25 miles past 'Range - 0 miles' I'll fill it up.

Also, restricting yourself to Shell doesn't help if your worrying about finding a Shell garage, what's wrong with BP or Esso? I can understand sticking to brand name fuels, and even 'super' but to stick to only one brand is slightly odd?

We don't have many She'll garages around here so you'd be royally fecked!

Edited by Tipex

I recently allowed the range to drop to 17 miles.  On the M1.

However, that comes from knowing where all the fuel stations are and how to extend the range when required.

I once had the 6 series showing --- (the lines appeared after 0).  I trundled along for 3 miles like that and suspect there was a good 10-20 remaining.

As someone who does a lot of long trips I rarely let it drop below 50 but I'm perplexed at the need to refill at half-tank level when you do such a short commute! :roflmao:

p.s. on fuel brand choice, I stop anywhere and everywhere.  In a 2 litre turbo-diesel it makes no difference whatsoever.  If it is Shell, it is Shell.  If it is a Morrisons supermarket, so be it.  I wouldn't do that in something like an M3, M4, RS6, etc, but I really couldn't give a sparrows chuff in the 520d!

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

I actually ran out of fuel a few years ago, It was the middle of the night and every garage I came across was either closed or undergoing refurbishment and as a result was either shut, or had no diesel.

With some extreme economy driving, I got home, I'd done 50 miles past the 0 miles remaining.

Next morning went to take it to the petrol station half a mile from my house, got to the end of the road and it conked out!

1 person likes this

Is there any point in the premium diesels from BP/Shell etc? Assume not?

I've started tracking the amount of fuel I use during a race, and only putting in the specific amount that I expect to need (plus a safety margin).  As a result, the car's race weight is a good few kilograms lighter; for me that translates into being able to have another bacon sandwich before the race.

That would be my take on it.

1 person likes this

Is there any point in the premium diesels from BP/Shell etc? Assume not?

A few years ago, I'd have said absolutely not, over the last few years, I've learnt otherwise.

My old Galaxy has developed a hyper sensitive fuel pump (fuel pressured regulator solenoid valve to be precise), if I put supermarket diesel in it, it drives awfully straight away, hugely lacking in power, totally flat almost as if the turbo has been switched off.

If I run it on regular brand name diesel (Esso, BP, Shell) then it drives perfectly for around six full tanks and then I can feel the valve beginning to stick again, I'll put one tank full of Super/Vpower/Ultimate through it, and it'll fix itself.

If I run it exclusively on Super the problem never manifests itself.

Oh, and I do see a marginal decrease in fuel consumption on Super, though not huge at around 2-3 mpg.

You can see this clearly looking at the graph in the mpg app I use as it's always 2-3 mpg better.

Edited by Tipex

A marginal decrease?

Do you 'unknowingly' drive it differently when there is Super in the tank?

A marginal decrease?

Do you 'unknowingly' drive it differently when there is Super in the tank?

Yes, as in it uses a bit less fuel.

And no, I don't drive it any differently, I'm never in a hurry, It does the same route twice a day every day, I don't even think about what fuel I put in until it starts misbehaving, as soon as the super goes through it fixes itself!

Mine tends to get a mix of supermarket and Shell. Subjectively it seems to run a little better on Shell but there doesn't seem to be any real difference in mpg.

Purely anecdotal, but my cousin reckons his XC60 D4 is more economical on supermarket fuel than 'premium'.

Swings and roundabouts I guess. I always thought it all comes out of the same depots anyway, so if there is any difference it's purely down to additives.

Oh god. I'm there. A MPG post :(

40.65MPG - that's not too shabby for 300ish BHP is it.

1 person likes this

As a side note, fairly easy to spot the Evo Triangle in that. 

Which app do you use? Looks nicer than the one I use!

40.6 mpg is superb, you could be driving a 9 year old Ford Galaxy 1.8 with 125bhp and only be getting an average of 41.1mpg.

Oh god. I'm there. A MPG post :(

40.65MPG - that's not too shabby for 300ish BHP is it.

I am so looking forward to starting on the mpg posts once the Cayenne GTS arrives and I hook the trailer up to it.  You two are going to explode :roflmao:

2 people like this

I saw a GL63 AMG hooked up to a trailer at Oulton last weekend. You'll be fine. :P

1 person likes this

Which app do you use? Looks nicer than the one I use!

40.6 mpg is superb, you could be driving a 9 year old Ford Galaxy 1.8 with 125bhp and only be getting an average of 41.1mpg.

http://darrensoft.ca/roadtrip/

1 person likes this

You know what, I'm back to thinking I'll go with petrol. Its £61 per month cheaper on the PCP monthly figure, and £4k cheaper overall. And I look after my cars, so in three years time it will be a perfect example, with low miles and good options. And it will be far less common that the BiTdi, which on the one hand could make it harder to sell, but on the other hand easier if you know what I mean.

That said, I will still of course test drive them both first. The Tfsi petrol is rare so it has been suggested I find a facelift S5 sportback as my b1tch as it uses the same 333PS engine (albeit in a different car, but still).

I am so looking forward to starting on the mpg posts once the Cayenne GTS arrives and I hook the trailer up to it.  You two are going to explode :roflmao:

:grin: I give literally no f**** about fuel consumption. I just don't think I could have faced dropping from the M3 to say a 340, would have felt like a massive downgrade. Getting something that's 'different' though isn't so bad! I know what I mean.

Other plans for this summer/end of year so hey ho.

1 person likes this

Only then do I need to decide Moonlight or Tornado! 

Will you be OK going down 2 sizes of car?

From A8 to S5?

1 person likes this