Non Slip Tiles Clarification

Waylander

Another question about the wetroom :-)

The plans call for non-slip tiling (it's for my parents who walk with a stick and I'm also rather paranoid about them not slipping and falling after doing ablutions or having a shower.

Are there any particular "grades" of non-slip tiles or can we simply head to Tops Tiles and the ilk and choose from any marked as "non-slip"?

Like Daz says, check them well. Take a bottle of water with you and actually test them. 

I have 16 non slip floors and without joking some of the ones tested were the slippiest things I have ever stood on when wet. It sounds daft but true. Some are great when in contact with skin but positively dangerous when in contact with shoes/slippers. 

• Like 1

I'd say skip tiles and go for no a proper non-slip flooring product, it will be safer and easier to clean/dry between showers. Like Daz said above Altro or Polyflor, thee product stay non-slip even when wet.

http://www.polyflor.com/jh/products.nsf/products!open&family=saf&prodcode=fsxc218

http://www.polyflor.com/jh/products.nsf/products!open&family=saf&prodcode=fxsc151

• Like 1

Do any of you guys have any experience between polyflor and altro?

So far of all the replies, 3 have also mentioned they feel polyflor is more suitable than altro for a wetroom floor.

Price isn't bad (of either product - not much in it) at all. Yes a little more expensive that tiling the floor might be but for the added piece of mind it will be worth it +++

8 hours ago, Waylander said:

Do any of you guys have any experience between polyflor and altro?

So far of all the replies, 3 have also mentioned they feel polyflor is more suitable than altro for a wetroom floor.

Price isn't bad (of either product - not much in it) at all. Yes a little more expensive that tiling the floor might be but for the added piece of mind it will be worth it +++

As I said above, Altro and their products are first class.  I have no idea why someone would tell you Polyflor is more suitable.  As Andy says, they both make the same type of products.  Polyflor are very good too.  Whichever you chose, you won't be getting anything but a good quality product.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

ive emailed both companies asking for a sample.

NNMM one reply suggested altro might be better for us as it is smooth so easier to clean and it is more reliably non-slip for bare feet and shoes but the textured poly is better when barefoot not so great with shoes but really it was 6 and 2 3s

ive got a decent range of quotes now all so will hunt out some reviews as Daz suggests.

range of £300 - £650 for the job.