£100K for an M5

cruiser647

At £10k over standard for the 30 Jahre and the same again for this new special, perhaps the production run isn't small enough to keep residuals strong for investment. I don't doubt that they'll appeal to the enthusiast and do anything else but sell incredibly well though. 

Yup, that is the crux of it too with new M5 and M6 cars.  They're stunning machines available at huge discounts.  Why anyone would pay £100k for a limited edition when you can get 99% of the car for half that price is beyond me.

I know I've mentioned this one hundreds of times, but whenever I see M5/6 cars I can't help but think of the £100k+ M6 that Stratstone Tyneside had in with about 3k on the clock.  That car went £55-58k (can't remember exactly) and was a good 18 months ago, maybe more now. 

1 hour ago, jimdiesel said:

Lovely car but the price is bonkers.  

Is it? I'm not so sure. It's a stonkingly powerful, high end, quality marque, with top spec and tech. Add in limited edition features and cache and the price tag is there or thereabouts. 

34 minutes ago, JonC said:

Your boss did incredibly well to get a £80k (base price) car half price :o

If I was to walk into my local dealership today, and if an M5 was a car I wanted, I'd not be remotely surprised if I was able to walk away after a single visit having got a good 25% off.  We got over 19% off a combined purchase of an X6 and 520d, and they don't have anything like the dealer bonuses attached to them that an M5 does.  I'd see mid-50's as being a target an M5 could reach.

Jim said mid-50's, so it isn't half price even if you say the price was £85k.  £30k off gives 35%.  I can see that being do-able. 

If anyone went into a BMW dealers right now and showed interested in an M5, they're going to be treated very well and offered all manner of incentives.

2 hours ago, garcon magnifique said:

Makes you wonder how they plan to sell the year old used ones that are up for 60-odd. 

That's a very good point.  This is when a Sales Manager proves his worth.  Did he stand the car too high or did he foresee the new car deals and stand it low enough for them to move it on without losing money?  The price paid for PX cars is an art at times like this.

4 hours ago, NewNiceMrMe said:

Cos they don't have £100k? :roflmao:

What about that discount you intimated? Plenty folk here in this part of the country with that kind of money in any case :roflmao:

Edited by JonC

I too love a M5. Simply awesome do it all, high-end cruiser. If the order book is due to close soon, surely there's discounts available for this short run brute. Incentives no doubt are worth it for the individual and the dealership. I know a guy in high-end car sales, so must ask him his opinion and share findings here.

The car does everything.  It is undoubtedly the all-round performance car.

But....

I still think the drive is a little muted.  Everything else about it is astonishing, but from the interior I couldn't help feeling it was all a bit of a non-event.

Whack a slightly louder exhaust system on it and that could change everything.

I test drove one years ago when they first came out.

I didn't have it for long, maybe 30-40 minutes.  Blindingly fast, agile, comfortable, completely glued to the road and a fine example of what the superb chassis of the 5 series can cope with.  But it left me feeling a little numb.  The noise didn't get me at all, that was the big factor.