16 hours ago, E-bmw said:

Surely your old stereo will have one?

You can turn in the OEM radio without the ignition being on. Power managment protects the car from running flat eg max of one hour before auto shut down and checks levels etc. 

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

You can turn in the OEM radio without the ignition being on. Power managment protects the car from running flat eg max of one hour before auto shut down and checks levels etc. 

OK, the inevitable march of progress wins another fan......NOT.

Def an irritation. You can't check the oil when the cars cold. It has to be warm and then sitting before you get a readout. Some people have also had issues depending on if the bonnet is open or not. One or two have bought Audi dipsticks, removed the blanking plug and inserted it. 

Fecking stupid isn't it.  One of the two sensors that failed on my S4 during my ownership was the oil level sensor that sits in the sump.  Kept telling me I was low on oil when the car was loaded up with kit coming home from Le Mans on very hot day.  Checking the dipstick showed the oil level was fine.  Without the dipstick I would have been in a pickle.  Do I trust the car telling me I have low oil - ie do I have a leak?  Or do I go with my insisting that I've already put a litre in today and the sensor must be wrong?  Would not have liked that dilemma with a 4.2 V8 in France.  Not like I can just 'pop another engine in' like I can do with my 205 etc!

On 6 August 2016 at 4:37 AM, Scotty said:

Since the cigarette lighter is ignition switched it should be easy to find where that is on the fuse board. They normally group them together so it shouldn't be to hard to find an unused one. 

The cigarette lighter isn't switched...its permanent live....tried that first next day battery was flat.  ( no I hadn't left anything on ) lol

On 5 August 2016 at 0:01 PM, cruiser647 said:

No, sorry Geezer, I cannot help you on that score.

Not sure if there are any eletrical drwaings on here.  Probably on the web though.

You might need to remove the steering column cover to see what colour wires come out of the key socket?

Thank you anyway

Just to clarify is that a late registered B8 or a B7 A4?

Both the B8's I've had were with ignition switched cigarette lighters. That's making me think B7. If that's the case then it'll be more like the B6 S4 I had. On the fuse panel there was a block of all the ignition switches feeds. I used one to power an external Nav and power the unit that I used to feed the audio into the Bose sound system.