Olympics 2016

billy2shots

Controversy always rains supreme before any major sporting event and Brazil has been no different this year. Russian drug scandal, Zika and unfinished infrastructure have made the headlines this time around. 

Let's  hope the bad is quickly forgotten when the sport kicks into gear as it normally is. 

Today Chris Frome will compete in the road race in attempt to match Wiggo who won Le Tour and Olympic gold in the same year. Good luck to the Kenyan, I mean Brit. 

One event has pulled at my heart strings and I will be tuning in to watch the swimming this evening. I love the swimming anyway having competed pretty well as a youth myself. Read the following and tell me you can't spare 5 minutes to watch this race tonight. 

Women's 100m butterfly, 5.28pm

The IOC's decision to create a refugee team competing under their flag has thrown up a clutch of heart-rending stories, but none as painful as Yusra Mardini's. The Syrian fled her war-ravaged country in 2015 and was smuggled onto a dinghy bound for Greece. When the boat began to sink, she and two others jumped into the water and pushed it for four hours to the shoreline at Lesbos. Whatever her result in the women's 100m butterfly heats, she will be guaranteed a rapturous reception.

Edited by billy2shots

Brazil shouldn't have got the games (nor the World Cup).

Both the IOC and FIFA ignored the troubles of the country and the fact millions live in squalor whilst the government spends billions on the events.

There are thousands of government employees that haven't been paid for months, yet they blow hundreds of millions on a vanity project.

The IOC have failed athletics with their doping decision and are a disgrace.

Looks like you've rendered Billy speechless. :grin:

When Brazil was awarded the games, and the football for that matter, they were one of the BRIC economies enjoying an unprecedented boom. Some could perhaps be forgiven for thinking that might have meant some improvements in conditions. And they weren't to know the country would be plunged back into recession by the time the games came around. 

But that, I'm afraid, is the full extent of the case for the defence. 

1 hour ago, garcon magnifique said:

Looks like you've rendered Billy speechless. :grin:

When Brazil was awarded the games, and the football for that matter, they were one of the BRIC economies enjoying an unprecedented boom. Some could perhaps be forgiven for thinking that might have meant some improvements in conditions. And they weren't to know the country would be plunged back into recession by the time the games came around. 

But that, I'm afraid, is the full extent of the case for the defence. 

Economically, you are of course correct.

However, even putting aside the recession they're now in, they still had (and have) millions in a level of poverty we struggle to understand. 

The IOC appear to be little more than another version of FIFA when it comes to making decisions.

Billy, I do agree with you on the fact we should now just sit back and enjoy it. 

• Like 1

Massive off. Just as the camera bike caught up with her as well. I nearly felt sorry for the girl who lead (after the crash) all the way to the line but finished 4th. Then I remembered she was from U S A, U S A, USA. 

After the big crash in the middle of nowhere I was half expecting one of those tear jerking Olympic spirit moments as a fellow competitor stops to help, sacrificing their own chances. Alas not.