Installing Office 365 ProPlus over 2016?

Waylander

I already own and have installed Office 2016 on my pc and mbp

Son's school office Office 365 ProPlus for free.

I figured it would be worth making the switch for the 1tb One Drive for all users and for continuity for him but is there really any point (kids currently save all home works to Dropbox anyway)

More pertinently is there any simple way to switch without having to uninstall 2016 first? Thinking mainly off the possibility of hassles with Office 2016 (although even 365 will be Office 2016 now)

Ta +++

• Like 1

I'm not sure I understand your question properly.

You don't need to change the version of installed Office to use OneDrive? On another note, OneDrive is utter balls compared to DropBox.

The only thing I use OneDrive for is an area to dump stuff - it's not anything like as good as DropBox as an operational type cloud sync drive.

Office 2016 from Office365 installs slightly differently from the 'normal' Office that you install locally - it uses streaming. It'll remove incompatible elements for you anyway.

2 hours ago, Mac said:

I'm not sure I understand your question properly.

You don't need to change the version of installed Office to use OneDrive? On another note, OneDrive is utter balls compared to DropBox.

The only thing I use OneDrive for is an area to dump stuff - it's not anything like as good as DropBox as an operational type cloud sync drive.

Office 2016 from Office365 installs slightly differently from the 'normal' Office that you install locally - it uses streaming. It'll remove incompatible elements for you anyway.

Yes I suspect my questions got a little garbled.

Ignore the onedrive bit - just because the 365 login would get me access to a 1TB drive doesn't mean I have to use it and I can continue with my personal 30gb account, while the kids use the 365 log-ins as they don't have MS acccounts to date.

Office 2016 FROM Office 365 there are a few articles about (albeit some a little contradictory) with some just saying at the end of your 365 sub just buy/use a personal 2016 license in your current install.

I haven't see any about how to switch from 2016 TO 365 and if I simply change the license and it will work its magic or do I really need to download and install and run the "fix" method. My only real worry is my install of Outlook and losing its setting but to be fair it coped just fine moving from 2010 to 2016 when I just installed on top

1 hour ago, NewNiceMrMe said:

Yup, I too use Dropbox instead of OneDrive, despite having a number of Office 365 Pro subscriptions.

You guys clearl collaborate docs etc etc but what is it that you gain from DropBox that you don't get from OneDrive?

It was partially because of comments like this that I sorted dropbox accounts for the kids in the first place but I have to confess OneDrive works just fine for me syncing between phone, laptops, PC

Clearly that may change when I change phone OS

I don't collaborate on documents with anyone. 

What I get from Dropbox is ease of use.

It is on my MBP (and the iMac but that is never used anyway), iPad Pro and iPhone.

I create a document, I save it, I forget about it.  My default save location is Dropbox.  I don't even bother with a folder structure (much) because the search is so good and fast.   I go to a clients, need the document, and know I can get it instantly on any device with no fuss whatsoever (and I'll often need something within 10-15 seconds - and that is where Dropbox speed of opening and search is superb).

OneDrive is clunky by comparison, slower to open and takes longer (albeit marginally) to synchronise.

All the other other Office365 products are excellent and I use them every single day, but I don't like using anything for the sake of it (i..e just because it is a bundled product) if there is something else better out there.

That said, I'm a big believer in different people liking different apps and features and going with what is best for them.  Mac loves Evernote.  I have tried it multiple times and absolutely loathe it!  Yet we both use Dropbox.  There will be differences in how everyone works and what is going to be best for them as well as almost unexplicable personal preferences.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe
  • Like 1

The OneDrive for Business client is a pile of utter balls.

If you've a decent size library (Mine's about 400Gb) it now and again gets its knickers wrapped and you have to download the whole thing again. It's beyond tedious.

Ref the copy of Office Profession 2016 - you can activate a 'normal' copy against Office365 without using the Office365 installer. All my machines are built that way, far easier.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, NewNiceMrMe said:

Ah, well there is another difference in personal preferences - because I use Amazon Photo's and Google Photo's for backing up smart device imagery (on the iPhone and iPad).

I also back up my whole (pc) photo archive to Google photos and I think Ive set the wife and kids' phones to do the same (android)

Just my phone camera roll on OneDrive.

BUT good point - missy is forever complaining about icloud being full so I can sort this on the ipods and ipad too

17 minutes ago, Mac said:

The OneDrive for Business client is a pile of utter balls.

If you've a decent size library (Mine's about 400Gb) it now and again gets its knickers wrapped and you have to download the whole thing again. It's beyond tedious.

Ref the copy of Office Profession 2016 - you can activate a 'normal' copy against Office365 without using the Office365 installer. All my machines are built that way, far easier.

I thought they had retired OneDrive Business? I have experience it on the Mac and agree it was dreadful

If his school want him to use OneDrive to collaborate work with them then I'll get him to start using it otherwise maybe leave him on Dropbox

In which case if there any point in me activating againts 365 vs leaving it as a local 2016 install?

Edited by Waylander

3 hours ago, Waylander said:

Ignore the onedrive bit - just because the 365 login would get me access to a 1TB drive doesn't mean I have to use it and I can continue with my personal 30gb account, while the kids use the 365 log-ins as they don't have MS acccounts to date.

Aha. Right. My guess is here you're referring to the OneDrive you get with an Outlook.com or Hotmail account? Totally different beast to the OneDrive for Business you get with '365.

Bizarrely the consumer product is good - far, far better than ODfB in my opinion. 

It works, for a start.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Can I revisit this thread to clarify something?

kids currently use Dropbox as above and me Onedrive consumer.

if I install Office 365 onto a laptop and create Onedrive/outlook.com account for the kids to save work to:

1) on the pc can I install Onedrive (consumer) for them to access their work if saved on the laptop (Onedrive from o365)?

2) can I point Onedrive to the Dropbox folder so they don't have to juggle where they save stuff (and can access via Dropbox or Onedrive remotely depending on hear they use at school)?

3) if I log onto Onedrive on the laptop using my usual (consumer) outlook account details I'll still get access to my 15gb or 1tb? I'm worried about some compatibility issues between the 2 Onedrive causing me issues as it's my main store.

Not a full answer, but my kids have o365 with school and dropbox at home.  All school stuff gets saved to o365 and personal stuff to dropbox.  Their computers at home have onedrive on them, so files appear at home as you would expect.

Leaving o365 with just their school stuff keeps it nice and separate IMO

• Like 1