Rosanne

S4 tyres with rim protector strips

11 posts in this topic

I need to replace all four tyres on my Audi V8 S4.      Price is immaterial but they must be good in dealing with surface water and snow ( I DON'T WANT A TYRE PURELY FOR WINTER USE UNLESS THEY ARE ALSO FINE IN THE SUMMER ).   It is imperative that they also have rim protector strips.     Any ideas please, guys ?

Cheers,

Rosanne.

Welcome to TSN. I ran Michelin Pilot Sports on my V8 S4. Stiff tyre walls which made it more responsive and rim protectors. That was 6-7 years ago so dunno what's out there now.

You may struggle getting something good in snow but also good for summer. The S4's have a lot of rubber and hence you sit on top of it. Really you need winter tyres if you want them good dealing with snow. Anything else is a compromise and it's normally the winter use that suffers most.

Hi Scotty,

thanks for your speedy and helpful reply.    From what you say can I take it to mean that tyres designed to cope with winter conditions have definite downsides in the summer ?    Would that be noise, increased fuel consumption, harsh ride or what ?

Also, do V8 S4's have a cam belt or chain do you know.   Mines got 84,000 miles on it so I'm wondering about replacing the belt if it has one.

cheers,

Rosanne.

Winter tyres are generally softer (to grip) so wear quicker and likely increase fuel consumption. However it's an S4 so fuel consumption generally isn't a consideration ;) - I guess you get about 18mpg?

I'd just get a decent brand all year round tyre but you have to accept the winter limitations. Otherwise get a winter set too.

The S4 lump uses a chain. Mine didn't rack up that mileage so I'm not sure on life. They're on the back so a chain swap is an engine out job so won't be cheap

You are right, Scotty, fuel consumption stopped being a consideration the moment I bought a Jaguar " E" type Series III Roadster a few years ago, and I have been driving V8 BMW X5's as an every day road car since until my last one got knicked. I take the view that as long as hubbie continues to drive his six litre W12 Bentley Continental GTC he can't complain about my petrol bills ! 

Incidentally, my S4 is in concours condition despite its mileage.   It's a one owner car before me and the owner was a celeb whose dad owned an Audi main dealership in Brazil, so it's fsh is all Audi main dealerships where all the spanners were wielded by the area service managers and signed off accordingly.

thanks for your responses , they are much appreciated.

cheers,

rosanne

1 person likes this

The only tyres I'd want on a B6 B7 (or B8) S4:

Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 2 or 3

Continental Sport Contact 5

Michelin Pilot Super Sport / Pilot Sport 4

Goodyears have good rim protection (better than the Contis)

1 person likes this

Hello Ian,

according to a tyre review website Michelin Alpin Pilot tyres are by a long way the best tyres for a S4 V8, but (A) they are winter tyres and ( B) they don't seem to be available anymore.    I'm guessing that the two Michelins you refer to may we'll be comparable perhaps, but do you know how their rim protection compares to the Goodyears you advocate ?

cheers

Rosanne.

On 9/11/2016 at 2:42 PM, Rosanne said:

Hello Ian,

according to a tyre review website Michelin Alpin Pilot tyres are by a long way the best tyres for a S4 V8, but (A) they are winter tyres and ( B) they don't seem to be available anymore.    I'm guessing that the two Michelins you refer to may we'll be comparable perhaps, but do you know how their rim protection compares to the Goodyears you advocate ?

cheers

Rosanne.

No idea sorry - the Pilot Sport 4 is absolutely brand spanking new!  I just know the Goodyears have about the biggest 'lip' over the edge of the rim going.

Cruiser - all the B6 S4s were camchain.  They wouldn't fit otherwise!

The first model Audi fitted a camchained 4.2 into was (strangely) the C5 A6 allroad.  So whilst the regular C5 4.2, S6 and RS6 saloon and Avant have different headlights, bonnet and even windscreen to the regular A6 in order to house the cambelt on the front of the V8, the 4.2 allroad reverted to the stock A6 nose because the engine is so much shorter.

On 13/09/2016 at 10:44 PM, Ian_C said:

Cruiser - all the B6 S4s were camchain.  They wouldn't fit otherwise!

The first model Audi fitted a camchained 4.2 into was (strangely) the C5 A6 allroad.  So whilst the regular C5 4.2, S6 and RS6 saloon and Avant have different headlights, bonnet and even windscreen to the regular A6 in order to house the cambelt on the front of the V8, the 4.2 allroad reverted to the stock A6 nose because the engine is so much shorter.

Must have had a shedload left over from something else!