Star Alliance to Aus

chasdrury

Choice is somewhat restricted with Star Alliance and it depends on dates and class of travel too.  I'd narrow it down to Singapore, Thai International and EVA Air but some people rate Turkish Airlines long haul business class as very good, business class on EVA Air is supposed to be very good too.  Family have travelled economy on Singapore and rate it as very good.

Just did a quick search for October and get £1242 in economy via Munich with Singapore airlines.  The other choices look way too expensive for economy.  That was MAN-MUC-SIN-MEL-BNE-SIN-MUC-MEL

Edited by Lussac
flight search

Yep, I'm a *A flyer and the *best* route I've used to Oz (and NZ) is Thai via Bangkok - this is best route based on changes/times/service. 

turkish airlines is very hit and miss for business class travel as they often have equipment changes but in economy everything is pretty much the same. Air China is cheap if that's your thing. 

Between Brisbane and Melbourne there's no direct *A connection, I've used both Qantas and Virgin Oz on this route  

What dates and class of travel you looking at?

OT: This weekend there are loads of cheap *A flights to HK and China :)

49 minutes ago, Lussac said:

Choice is somewhat restricted with Star Alliance and it depends on dates and class of travel too.  Just did a quick search for October and get £1242 in economy via Munich with Singapore airlines.  The other choices look way too expensive for economy.  That was MAN-MUC-SIN-MEL-BNE-SIN-MUC-MEL

I got it down to £689 + A$160 with Singapore and Virgin Oz on a random date in October +++ didn't bother looking for the cheapest. 

30 minutes ago, chasdrury said:

So you take Thai over Singapore business class?

Yes, because I pay for my own travel :P  Anyhow, Thai doesn't do those routes of MAN.

Out of LHR Thai is only £2500 compared to Singapore at £3857 and you get to fly Thai's A380, A350 and B787 on those routes #Geekfest

Edited by Andy_Bangle

49 minutes ago, Andy_Bangle said:

Yes, because I pay for my own travel :P  Anyhow, Thai doesn't do those routes of MAN.

Out of LHR Thai is only £2500 compared to Singapore at £3857 and you get to fly Thai's A380, A350 and B787 on those routes #Geekfest

Cheers! So if you weren't paying which is better??

First I'd look at the points earning class of each ticket, not every ticket class (not to be confused cabin class) delivers the same number of points to your *A program. Lufthansa are really bad giving out points!

Then all things be equal, they're not because THAI has worse security and financial issues than Singapore, I'd fly Singapore airlines as it has better seats and food however, the THAI business lounge in BKK is nicer. However, if you like food (non-Asian) then Austrian wins hands down :) 

• 1 month later...

12 hours ago, chasdrury said:

how many points is that? I think I'm just going to miss senator this year! 

That route is appox 21,179 mi return. 

MAN-SIN-BNE = 10,626 mi

MEL-SIN-MAN = 10,553 mi

C on Singapore credits at 2.0 x distance to Miles & More
D on Singapore credits at 1.5 x distance to Miles & More

I'll let you do the maths.

MAN-BNE.jpeg

Edited by Andy_Bangle

1 hour ago, chasdrury said:

Cheers, oh no 10k short for gold :-(

10k if you take out the M&M credit card? if you haven't got it already :)  You'll need to check if they are 'status miles', I'm not that clued up on M&M.

EDIT: just checked award miles are exchanged to Status at 5:1 :( 

Transfer from another account? (hotel account)

Edited by Andy_Bangle

1 hour ago, Andy_Bangle said:

10k if you take out the M&M credit card? if you haven't got it already :)  You'll need to check if they are 'status miles', I'm not that clued up on M&M.

EDIT: just checked award miles are exchanged to Status at 5:1 :( 

Transfer from another account? (hotel account)

No Hotel account and already have the M&M credit card.

Which card do you use if not M&M - is it a KrisCard or something?

I have a Diners Club card and MC which credits to SAS Eurobonus. I try and stick to one airline / one Hotel Chain outside Sweden (I'm Hilton Diamond) etc.

Depending on your future flying patterns it may be easier to get A3 or Turkish *A Gold, they give Gold at 45k or less. 

Let me know if you want a status match to OneWorld Gold, it could be useful if you ever have to fly in cattle class.

If *A Gold is important to you then SAS Eurobonus Gold is curently reached at 45k (diamond at 95k) and Singapore C & D both credit 200% . Likewise crediting LH C to Eurobonus earn's 200%. So after one flight to Oz and one to SA you'd be on 40k.

Of course, then you miss out on SAS perks (unless you fly via Stockholm or Copenhagen) such as 25% extra points.