Monarch (financial trouble bewing?)

Andy_Bangle

2 hours ago, Booster said:

Groundhog Day for me again. Four families all off to Lanzarote again for half term on 14th October. This year we don't have ATOL protection as we have booked flights only as we are hiring a villa for all of us. 

Calling travel insurance company in the morning to see what the situation is. 

Bloody Monarch!!!

Trust you paid for the flights with CC, although I guess that was the cheapest part.

Edited by Andy_Bangle

18 minutes ago, Booster said:

Bollocks. Flights are covered as our friend that booked them used a credit card. 

Now need to try to find alternative flights and if that isn't possible, see if our travel insurance will pay up for the villa cost. 

Options are Ryanair or Jet2 (from BHX, EMA, LBA or STN) or EasyJet (from LTN)  - all have seats available, at a cost.

24 minutes ago, Andy_Bangle said:

Options are Ryanair or Jet2 (from BHX, EMA, LBA or STN) or EasyJet (from LTN)  - all have seats available, at a cost.

Thanks. Our friend that booked it has a corporate travel agent as her firm flies a lot of staff all over the place. She is on the case. 

It looks like we might be all on different flights as I don't think any of them have 16 seats available. 

On 26/09/2016 at 9:15 AM, Booster said:

We have a package holiday to Lazarote booked with them for half term. Four families all going together.

Been reading up over the weekend and it doesn't look great....

I'm thanking my lucky stars about the RyanAir fiasco otherwise I'd have been in the same boat.

wanted to get dun for 1/2 term and it was cheaper option of Alicante, more expensive Lanzarote or sod it and Dubai.

once I removed all Ryan air flight options suddenly Dubai wasn't so outlandish even though others included Monarch at least 1 way

On 01/10/2017 at 8:10 PM, Andy_Bangle said:

Lots of people with cancelled RA flights went off and booked Monarch as they started undercutting RA prices, desperately trying to bring to cash. 

Jesus...

Poor feckers...  must be gutted.  Hope you paid for your flights on a credit card Mr Booster...

Shame Monarxh couldn't get the full benefit of RA's woes.  Although, that would only be temporary.

Have EasyJet, Wizz et al put their prices up in the routes where RA have cancelled flights?

47 minutes ago, Booster said:

Waylander, that quote above was from last year. They survived then and their owners put in £165m and that has all gone!

We are flight only with them this year. 

No flights to the Canaries anywhere at all now. 

Bloody hell I didn't even spot that.

we had that advantage last year. Feel for you man. Hope you csn get something sorted. What a horrible predicament.

9 hours ago, cruiser647 said:

Have EasyJet, Wizz et al put their prices up in the routes where RA have cancelled flights?

I don't think prices have gone up across the board, available direct tickets sold out PDQ as Monarch going under wasn't exactly a last min thing. 

The LCC's fly 737 / A320 carrying around 180 pax so there wasn't the spare capacity to start with. Ryanair traditionally flew the "rescue" flights as they have spare planes, only this year they haven't got the pilots. As I said above it's a perfect-storm: lack of supply (Ryanair's lack of available pilots / Monarch (& Air Berlin) going bust / half-term) Vs strong demand on the winter sun route.

The real winners will be Jet2 who moved operations south this year, the 750k people who booked Monarch tickets for some winter sun or to visit Santa in Lapland will be looking elsewhere for tickets, once they've sorted out their section 75 claims.

Geek Note: Ryanair fly 737-800 whereas Monarch flew leased A320's, therefore, pilots can't easily transition across. Air Lingus, who also fly A320's are actively recruiting Monarch pilots. Some City analysts are also questioning whether Norwegian can survive the quiet winter period.

Edited by Andy_Bangle
  • Like 1

Flew with Monarch to Barcelona a couple of months ago, have to say, they made Ryanair look attractive, crappy, knackered old aircraft and the legroom was utterly ridiculous, I thought Ryanair/EasyJet were bad for legroom but this was on another level, some rows had so little legroom an adult of any size physically couldn't fit, literally just enough for a child and even then, they wouldn't be comfortable.

We chose Monarch because they flew to the 'proper' Barcelona airport, but with hindsight, the extra time traveling from what Ryanair call Barcelona airport would have resulted in a more comfortable journey.

Monarch like any airline it depends on the plane, last time we flew with them one of the planes was great and very new the other not so great, both better than this years Thomson. 

A guy at work has been affected with one of his flights. Its been cheaper for him to go 2 days earlier and get extra accommodation for a few nights than trying to fly on the same day in Oct with another airline as prices roughly doubled to Alicante apparently from what he found. 

After a bloody hectic week of what seems like a million whatsapps in our holiday group, we have failed to obtain replacement flights to Lanzarote.

There is hardly anything decent available for our half term week anywhere half decent.

The problem is exacerbated by the fact that are 6 adults and 6 children going.

Finally managed to get us all on a flight to Ibiza and have found a fantastic villa in a really nice spot so will be raving it up with the kids for a week.

Insurance claim for the villa in Lanzarote has been submitted but I don't expect to hear back for some time as they are extremely busy! Thank goodness we had travel interruption cover on our annual policy. I was amazed that loads of the big names like Aviva don't offer it as even an option.

• Like 3

Glad you got something sorted Booster. Ibiza is a lovely island. 

My mate was due to fly to a villa in Lanzarote this morning with Monarch. He was on the phone all day Tuesday trying to get things sorted. Unfortunately every Tom Dick and Harry with flights booked in the next 6 months were also trying to get through. At times like this it would be better if the first couple of days of sorting issues via phone / web are only for those flying in the next two weeks. After that it's a free for all. 

Said mate managed to get something in Majorca flying from Bournemouth instead of Gatwick in the end at a loss of £31 for a family of 4. 

• Like 1