cruiser647

RS3 - Saloon!

366 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Mac said:

I really don't like the engine in the M3/M4, it just sounds awful :/

In what way?

I get it's very subjective, I just don't like the 'raspy' nature of it.

Engine in the M3/4 performs epically well... but it sounds rubbish. Even the GTS sounds poor. 

The non-M engine in the M2 on the other hand doesn’t really set the world alight, but it sounds gorgeous. 

BMW need to pull their fingers out and get a M division twin turbo V8 sorted. 

Yeah it's a bit odd isn't it. I like the M2, it's the nearest thing I've driven to my V8 M3 in terms of experience, without being a right handful. I struggled with the sound and the ..... I don't even know what ... in the M4. Just didn't feel like an experience? I dunno, sure it's a better car then the M2 or the old M3 in every single way, just really didn't feel special to me.

The sound was the final nah. Almost sounded like an old petrol lawnmower:o //ducks

The S55 in the new M2 has put me off that too. Sounds worse for a lot more money, and the same performance (Well, 0.1s....)??

I think they are stopping production of the M3 fairly soon (as in a month or so). M4 continues a bit so I read. 8 series looks fabulous and the M8 will no doubt be quite special. 

Yeah M3 stopping as they have to change to put a particulate filter on all cars (yes even the petrols) and didn't want to do it on a car that was going out of production. New 3 series out soon M4 is getting the filter as it has a way to go before being replaced. +++

BMW seem to have taken some of the criticism of the M3/4 to heart and there are plenty of reports the 8 series sets a bit of a new direction with engines sounding better being part of that. Will have to see if the proof is in the pudding I guess. 

Must admit I thought I was shouting against the tide on the M4, was a bit bonkers. I borrowed one for a weekend, and it just wasn't together. It almost felt unfinished? The other thing I found was that it over-steered a ton more than my V8 ever did. Or rather it did it at unexpected moments? I put that down to the fact I wasn't used to the power delivery, however reading now it seems a few people have had that issue. The M2 can be a bit arse happy if you're not paying attention, but it's playful rather than holy-shit-here-comes-a-field.

I wonder if my expectations have changed when I've gotten older?! I mean the RS3 I tried was rapid as hell - the only thing I've tried that I think would be faster cross country was problay the TTRS - but it just felt utterly dull and inert. Back when I had the RS4 outline straight performance was where it was at. Lots of short blasts. Now, not so much.

Dunno. Perhaps it's time for a porsche. 

1 person likes this

You could go test this one: 

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, Andrew said:

I think they are stopping production of the M3 fairly soon (as in a month or so). M4 continues a bit so I read. 8 series looks fabulous and the M8 will no doubt be quite special. 

Certainly a nice looking car, like an updated Mustang :grin:

dd21894981768b01d6d927dfdfc99f96e83293bd

Edited by Andy_Bangle

The 8 series is a good looking car but it's going to be big bucks for a decent spec one. 

Mac, they might not be the size of car you are looking to change to but having mentioned the RS3 and M2, how about the CLA AMG? I haven't driven it but it supposedly dissects the RS3 and M2 in terms of ability and fun. 

In a similar situation I'm leaning towards the Merc C class coupe 43 AMG. Sure it's a peg down from the the full fat AMG, M, RS but as a package it ticks a lot of boxes.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.autoexpress.co.uk/mercedes/c-class/94519/new-half-fat-mercedes-amg-c-43-coupe-revealed%3famp

Yeah a mate has one - haven't gotten around to having a look at it yet. Cars just seem to be getting massive! I park right next to a pillar in my car park. M3/335x Drive fitted in there just fine. M4 was a right struggle, and as it wasn't mine I parked it elsewhere. 

I think I’ve reached a point where the full fat AMG/M/RS performance models no longer interest me because they’re out of reach, both financially and in terms of accessible performance. Models such as the C43, S4 and forthcoming M340i start to make a lot more sense as a compromise between daily usability, performance and desirability. And if I was looking for performance thrills in a non-daily driver I’d want a proper sports car, not a tuned up saloon. 

2 people like this

I've yet to drive a proper AMG where I'd even begin to suggest the power was 'usable' :roflmao: I haven't driven one for long to be fair though.

30 minutes ago, Mac said:

I've yet to drive a proper AMG where I'd even begin to suggest the power was 'usable' :roflmao: I haven't driven one for long to be fair though.

My C63S with 510bhp and more torque than the QE2 had more mechanical grip and could use "most" of the power far more than the M4 CP I drove.

You should give one a go.

8 hours ago, Andy_Bangle said:

Certainly a nice looking car, like an updated Mustang :grin:

dd21894981768b01d6d927dfdfc99f96e83293bd

Did the same with a new M5 & e39 shaped M5 recently & the differences are startlingly small.

2 hours ago, Biscuits said:

My C63S with 510bhp and more torque than the QE2 had more mechanical grip and could use "most" of the power far more than the M4 CP I drove.

I can well believe it, I really struggled with the M4 in that respects.

On the size point its getting silly, my car is huge in that respect and annoying with it. We tend to use the wife car at the weekend for that reason. 

Take mine to many supermarkets and its always sticking out and only just fitting in the space. To make matters worse the 6 GT is even longer and wider than the 5GT which is the last thing I wanted. 

I'm considering going X3 40iM or GLC43 as a replacement I quite like driving the wifes car and having something all our performance when I can hardly ever us it I just find frustrating personally. I'd prefer something that sounded fantastic and had average performance I could have fun with on a backroad. 

Anyway decision is a way so slightly academic. 

13 hours ago, Biscuits said:

...and my new one is even faster and more grip (bigger tyres - and the same drivetrain as the E63S).

1 person likes this

37 minutes ago, Rachel said:

...and my new one is even faster and more grip (bigger tyres - and the same drivetrain as the E63S).

Which one do you have Rachel?

15 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Which one do you have Rachel?

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, Rachel said:

Oh nice! +++

Edited by Biscuits

On 18/06/2018 at 11:26 AM, billy2shots said:

The 8 series is a good looking car but it's going to be big bucks for a decent spec one. 

German pricing has been released: it is available in two trim levels, the 840d diesel and M850i petrol, both of them with xDrive all-wheel drive, starting at €100,000  and €125,700, respectively. :o

840d is £76,270 in the UK.

There will be massive discounts available a couple of months after launch.

It is a good looking car from the photos available but not a great looking car I think.

I'm hoping that the Gran Coupe version is better looking as the 6 GC is compared to the 6 Coupe arguably.

If it is, I'm having one!

GC Confirmed for 2019 release there are patent images of the car out there now but in a basic spec. 

Add the M-Sport and it will look fantastic. +++

1 person likes this

Just watched this video filmed at Goodwood and now I'm cheesed off.

I don't like the 8 Series. Exterior or interior. The "crystal" gear stick is really naff. My wedding ring will scratch it to bits!

Back end looks wrong. Even the driver isn't enthusiastic about it.