cruiser647

RS3 - Saloon!

366 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Soulboy said:

I like the RS6 currently....but that's it for the brand.

A bit pointless for 2 people and a cat....hence never even considered visiting the Audi dealers for next car.

Love the way you phrased that.  Nobody 'needs' 560 horsepower.  :roflmao:

I'm no defender of the Audi brand, but let's be honest here - this styling thing isn't just Audi, it's also BMW, Merc and Jag ... and increasingly other brands like Ford with their new ST Line range.

Someone earlier on nailed it for me. It isn't really that the proper sports models have duller styling than they used to. It's the war of escalation of ever more "sporty" styling of the four pot diesel rep mobiles. Whether it's M Sport, S Line, R Line, AMG Line or whatever, they're all styled more aggressively than the halo performance models of a couple of generations ago. As ever, it's simple financials to sell the high volume models to aspirational pretenders, but I think it's also short sighted in affecting the aspiration towards one day owning an RS, M or AMG, especially for those more swayed by looks than actual performance, when they no longer look special enough sat next to the 2.0tdi.

Edited by garcon magnifique
4 people like this

We can blame VW for this as I think the whole concept started with the Golf MK1 Driver which looked like a GTI but wasn't:-) 

1 person likes this

Besides. I have always preferred a high performance saloon to have that understated, stealthy Q car look. I like the fact my debadged 335d looks exactly like a 320d. I don't want it blinged up with big wings, chrome, carbon, pointless grilles and aggressive arches. Because I'm not 12, and all that shyte is for proper sports cars, not sporty models of shopping trolleys and company cars.

P.S. Yes I know a 335d isn't a real M car, but it is (nearly) as fast as one... :secret:

Edited by garcon magnifique
1 person likes this

You need a Ford RS in your life. What's wrong with being a bit brash? 

I thought (age wise) you were still more early middle age than old age :)

14 hours ago, Ian_C said:

In the real world, sometimes stealth and compromise is required though?  I vividly recall the original S4, much delayed S3 and RS4 coming out, all very special cars indeed, a golden era for Audi, and as mentioned above a time when they put more effort into an S model than they do an RS now.  

Honestly, down a country B road, a stock B5 RS4 wouldn't see which way a current S3 / Golf R went!  You'd kill yourself trying to keep up (either bouncing off the road on a bump due to the suspension, or "understeer into a bush".  The S3 is over a second quicker to 100 mph, the quarter mile times are similar, the B5 RS4 might accelerate faster after 100 / 120 mph perhaps?  I agree this doesn't make the S3 a better car  - as we've already proved above, it looks like a diesel!

Clarkson summed it nicely when he compared the B5 RS4 to the Ur quattro in his 'Top 100 cars' video / DVD (cannot find on YouTube sorry - BBC usually claim copyright!)

Way to miss the point. The earlier S3/S4/RS4 were a bit special - they added stuff to the existing range.

A current range sports car is faster than a car released 15/16 years ago? OH MY GOD who knew.

Ref the B5 RS4 to the Quattro - he said he'd have the Quattro, which kind of proves my point :roflmao:

And here's an S4 (B whatever.....:grin:)

Shame it's black and not a brighter colour!

WP_20161020_12_53_23_Pro.jpg

We seem to be back to the "Audi make stealthy cars" argument of 10 years ago, whereas BMW made the brash cars.

I disagree.

Years ago, I'd have agreed (and you'll find that if you searched hard enough!).

There is a difference between "stealthy" and "bland". 

Right now, they're not stealthy.  They're just bland, boring and uninspiring in design.

To me.  That is the important part.  If you love Audi, love the design and love their technical capabilities, it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.  Buy one.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe
1 person likes this

It goes further though. Most modern cars look bland and are sterile tools. I have gone right off cars at the moment as there is very little out there that grabs me. 

All I see are dull coloured euro boxes and that goes for Jap cars that have morphed into euro boxes. 

Edited by billy2shots
2 people like this

Well no, they don't make 'em like they used to.... 

17 hours ago, billy2shots said:

It goes further though. Most modern cars look bland and are sterile tools. I have gone right off cars at the moment as there is very little out there that grabs me. 

All I see are dull coloured euro boxes and that goes for Jap cars that have morphed into euro boxes. 

Same here. I thought it was just me getting older.

The only people making interesting cars/engines any more are AMG.  The M4 looks great, but the engine is uninspiring. The RS4 looked like a 2.0TDi with big wheels... which leaves the C63S..... with 509 bhp..... and a proper V8 soundtrack, even though it's turbocharged....  

rp-c63-edition-1-44.jpg?itok=zOktKxSO

nom nom nom   :)

2 people like this

4 hours ago, Biscuits said:

The only people making interesting cars/engines any more are AMG.  The M4 looks great, but the engine is uninspiring. The RS4 looked like a 2.0TDi with big wheels... which leaves the C63S..... with 509 bhp..... and a proper V8 soundtrack, even though it's turbocharged....  

rp-c63-edition-1-44.jpg?itok=zOktKxSO

nom nom nom   :)

Even then it doesn't get my juices flowing. Too many 320 CDIs floating around with AMG trim. Stonking engines which sound lovely at full chat but you can drive past one and not take a second look when it's sat in traffic. 

Taken in isolation, AMGs and Ms are brilliant. That brilliance has been watered down hugely by making stock cars look 90% like the Halo model. Great from a business sense, bad for the Halo buyer. 

1 hour ago, billy2shots said:

Even then it doesn't get my juices flowing. Too many 320 CDIs floating around with AMG trim. Stonking engines which sound lovely at full chat but you can drive past one and not take a second look when it's sat in traffic. 

Taken in isolation, AMGs and Ms are brilliant. That brilliance has been watered down hugely by making stock cars look 90% like the Halo model. Great from a business sense, bad for the Halo buyer. 

Totally agree..... so Yellow decals then ???   :D

1 person likes this

35 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Totally agree..... so Yellow decals then ???   :D

Maybe reverse the colour scheme?

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, billy2shots said:

Totally agree.  The same sentiment as Scottys post a page or two back.

I've also found that Mercedes customers are the worst at 'over estimating' what their car is.

"I drive a Mercedes AMG"

No you don't, you drive a C250 diesel, which is actually just a 2.0 litre (or possibly 2.1?) with big wheels

2 people like this

Looking forward to getting my M3 next week...

I say M3, I mean 3 series with many M parts on it...

I say many M parts, it's a 2l diesel with a M badge on the wings :)

6 people like this

Ill have to get an M sport key ring, umbrella, coat and shirt too .

I got a complimentary BMW M umbrella. 

In a somewhat disappointing allegory of the BMW M cars it seeks to advertise, it proved to be less than effective in wet and windy conditions and span off into a fence. 

:unsure:

3 people like this