BMW New vs Used

CarMad

So I wouldn't normally look at getting a new car but as I might be leaning towards a 3 GT they are like hens teeth. 

It seems that a nearly new car with decent spec is more than if I went and bought one and got a good discount can that be right? Some of the sites are saying 19/20% off for a 3GT 330d or 335d surely not?

Anyone else got a decent discount on a new BMW recently are these achievable? A replacement 5GT might still be an option but I think I fancy a change but might miss the interior of the 5 GT which is a good step up from a 3.

Those discounts are achievable, no doubt about it and I'd not be looking at a nearly new car when a new one can be had.

My local dealer is hounding me on a new 5 or a 7 series at present and I've had to be blunt in saying I'll not look to change until next summer.

As for the 3GT - I haven't been in one but I have 'seen' in one.  I think there is a mammoth difference between a 5GT and a 3GT, and not in a good way.  Why change now?  I'd wait until the new 5 was out next year and take a look.  Even when they're new out you'll get dealers discounting the new 5 series.  It is a big car that they'll always do deals on.

"Fancy a change" is a dangerous state of mind and often sees mistakes made.  I know.  My old Jag 2.5 X Type and the Z4 35i were both 'fancy a change' mistakes.

• Like 1

There's a dealer active on the babybmw.net site that has been offering 22/23% off M135/140i for ages; less on the 235/40 as it attracts a bit less support from BMW. But I can see no reason to by a nearly new car at the moment - maybe it'll change as the impact of the drop in exchange rates filters through, but I doubt it.... New discounts are silly/excellent, depending on your point of view!

55 minutes ago, CarMad said:

So I wouldn't normally look at getting a new car but as I might be leaning towards a 3 GT they are like hens teeth. 

It seems that a nearly new car with decent spec is more than if I went and bought one and got a good discount can that be right? Some of the sites are saying 19/20% off for a 3GT 330d or 335d surely not?

Anyone else got a decent discount on a new BMW recently are these achievable? A replacement 5GT might still be an option but I think I fancy a change but might miss the interior of the 5 GT which is a good step up from a 3.

There is only one person who can answer whether you could accept a 'downgrade' from a 5 to a 3 - yourself!  +++

If money comes into the equation, in reply to the comments above, surely now is a good time to px your current 5, before the new shape comes out?

Why a 3GT, not a regular 3 series / Touring?  I've always thought the GT models look a bit, er, odd.  Whereas personally I think the Audi 'Avants' and BMW 'Tourings' look every bit as good (if not better) than their saloon equivalents.  Surely you can get a better deal on the 3 series / Touring - and surely those would be so much easier to sell at the end compared to the GT?

Screen%20Shot%202013-02-14%20at%207.45.0

When I say I fancy a change I'm due one. The 5 GT is 3 years only in my care in November and it will be 5 years old in January. If rumours are correct the 5 GT will be no more in later 2017 it is going to morph into a 6 GT that will be sleeker and more desirable (as if it isn't now tsk) and there might not be a 6 GC replacement sorry Booster. 

To sit in the 5 GT its great, the interior is from a 7 series and its a lovely place to be, but it is a big old thing that is a pain to drive and none to pleasant to drive down a backroad as a result. A 5 series saloon that I've driven a bit recently feels far far smaller when inside but I need the practically element with two small kids. 

A 3 Touring is small inside and not the best in the back, my wifes 2 Active Tourer is better in this respect and I like the higher driving position that a 3GT brings. Its a good compromise of space being a far longer wheelbase and great for a long trip with the big boot. 

I will have a look at what some of the car sites offer and go from there. 

There is a significant difference between a 5GT and a 5 Touring - namely that the GT shares the wheelbase of the 7 series (and the suspension).

They're very different cars that might not suit everyone.  The 5GT shouldn't even be called a 5 really, because mechanically it is so different.

Are you not still in the market for a Cayman and use the 2AT as the family car? +++

p.s. Buy a new 5 series and I promise you that they'll throw every possible penny available at you.  They are moreorless begging people to buy them in the build up to the new model - but you can imagine what will happen when it does come out. 

The 3GT gets very good reviews from most people from what I've seen though.  If the 5 saloon feels smaller inside compared to the GT - the 3 GT must feel very small indeed. 

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

I didn't realise they were canning the 5 GT in favour of what sounds like a badge/name change to a 6 GT of a changed design.

However, I can see why they'd do it.  Calling it a 5 GT in the first place was a stupid idea in my opinion.

They'd have been better off called it the 7 Series Compact!

I like the higher driving position the GTs offer, I'm fairly tall so the high driving position has advantages that I don't feel like I'm falling into the car and the extra space in the back has come in handy plenty of times since I've had it. 

3GT didn't feel much different inside than a 5 and the numbers seem to reflect that when you look at the space available. An X4 was an option but inside the dash just doesn't seem up to BMW standards but I do like it from outside, but they keep their value very well and finding a well spec'ed one for decent money is not easy. I did have a call from a BMW dealer list week asking if he could put some numbers together on a PCP deal on a 5, I said yes but didn't get any numbers through unfortunately. 

Cayman still under consideration but life with the kids at the moment gives me very little chance to use it so its on the back burner but the fund to do the purchase is advancing well. +++

I could see me getting the 3 GT and then flipping into a 6 GT in few years time potentially, my appetite to spend lots is dropping other priorities as life changes I guess.  

So logged into my Carwow account (tried it years ago before my other half got her Qashqai) and BMW aren't on there anymore. Seems BMW have banned dealers from using it unfortunately. 

So I'm going to call into the dealer that has a couple of 5 GTs that I fancy the look of tomorrow and then see what the New Sales guy has to say as he also called me to ask if I want to do a deal on anything so see what they have to say. 

335GT on Drivethedeal is £33k without spec but I wanted to add a fair bit and there seems to be virtually no discount on the extras on there at least. Having got the 5 GT its go so much kit as standard you get used to it fairly quickly. 

The 5 GT is a big old barge but its such a nice place to sit in and drive and it rides so well for something with such lot profile tyres. 

I mention getting a Cayman to my wife instead of going for a blonde and the black eye should be better in a few days hopefully. 

If you have an itch for a performance car, scratch it now and get it out of the way.  If you don't, it eats away at you!

I have no desire for anything of that ilk nowadays and I do think they become less and less useable by the day - but it doesn't I mean I wouldn't buy one if money was no object and I could afford to keep one in storage with lots of other cars for when the moment took me!

Current car was a 530GT in the pre upgraded 2011 spec, so the engine is a nice step up, 245 > 313 Bhp and more torque oh and in theory more economical.

Silver has been practical but I much prefer the Carbon Black on the new one and the paintwork is in great condition. Ditto the lighter interior, not that its ever dark with the panoramic roof. 

The Multi Function dash is great as well as you have mentioned previously. 

Should be picking it up in the middle of the week hopefully. 

• Like 1