Ross Brawn to succeed Bernie Ecclestone

Andy_Bangle

From a sporting prospective and the spectacle I think Brawn would be great. 

Many in F1 know whats best to make things better, personally the cars being wider is a backward step for a start, if anything lets get some regs and KEEP THEM THE SAME for 2/3 years at least. That way everyone catches up and starts to get on a level playing field. 

Anything else just points towards the teams with the most money and the biggest set of resources. Arise, Mercedes, Redbull and the team with the most money but with a prancing donkey for a good while now Ferrari. 

On ‎02‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:53 PM, CarMad said:

if anything lets get some regs and KEEP THEM THE SAME for 2/3 years at least. That way everyone catches up and starts to get on a level playing field.  

I take it you haven't been paying attention in recent decades then!

That is pretty much what F1 has done since the 90's.

The major manufacturers pushed of the move to V6 and only some of them, many would have been more than happy to stay with the V8s. If they had they they would all have saved a small fortune and would many of the public really have noticed a difference?

No. 

At least they would still have sounded good a GP2 is louder now which is just plain wrong. The regulations shouldn't have gone through the last major shift for me with a strong eye on cost. Its created far more cost of all of the teams and made the spectacle worst not better.

Considering how close the grid was before the move to V6 and you look at it today they are still playing catch-up. If the regulations had have been left as they were personally the racing the, noise the spectacle would have been much better than it is today. +++

From a cost viewpoint I 100% agree with you, however not on the thought that there wasn't 1 dominant team.

5 x double back to back championships to me counts as a single dominant team, so no, I don't think the racing was closer then.

Agreed on the dominant team, maybe the next years changes will bring some others to the fore a Redbull return maybe? The engine is the element that everyone as still playing catch-up on and the slowest and most expensive issue to fix arguably, fingers crossed Renault, Ferrari and Honda can make a leap. 

I'd always want good racing and I guess we have had that, but not really at the sharp end most of the time. 

Quite right, at times the enjoyable racing has been for 3/4/5th 7/8/9th etc.

As soon as the change to Turbocharged engine I stated to many the Mercedes would be 100% dominant due to their having more experience of making turbo-charged engines. It was also my belief that, that was the reason Hamilton jumped to an (at the time) second rate performing team as they knew what was coming & could PROMISE Lewis what they knew they could deliver in 2 years time, I seem to have been right on both points.

The aero/mechanical grip changes for next year stand a good chance of helping out other teams to catch up and make the racing at the front between teams as well as between team mates.

• 2 months later...

/dodgy iPhone cut and paste time/

Bernie Ecclestone has confirmed that he has been replaced as the big boss of Formula 1, signalling his exit from the series.

The F1 door seems to have been closed on Ecclestone, after he revealed to Auto Motor und Sport that Liberty Media’s Chase Carey has taken over the role of F1 CEO.

It brings an end to 40 years in charge for Ecclestone, although the door hasn’t been locked altogether, as he’s been given the role of honorary president.

However, he doesn’t actually know what that means.

It’s certainly huge news for F1 and signals the start of major changes as Liberty finalises its takeover of the series.

Here’s what Ecclestone told AMUS:

“I was deposed today. I am simply gone. It’s official. I am no longer the leader of the company. My position has been taken by Chase Carey.

“My new position is one of those American terms. It’s something like an honorary president. I have this title now, even though I don’t know what it means.”

“My days in the office will be getting quieter now. Maybe I will attend a Grand Prix sometime in the future. I still have many friends in Formula 1, and I still have enough money to afford to attend a race.”

It’s now being reported by Autosport that former F1 boss Ross Brawn is set to be appointed in a sporting role, with ex-ESPN chief Sean Bratches tipped to join in a commercial role.

Liberty hasn’t formally confirmed Ecclestone’s exit, although it’s expected to be officially announced on Tuesday.

Well for all his pros and cons I'm sorry to see him go. He has been a steady hand on the tiller and F1 has grown even if its direction at times hasn't been as clear as it should. 

No idea what the new guys are going to want to do, bigger brasher and dumbed down F1 might be on the cars but I hope not. F1 used to be the pinnacle and today I'm not sure it holds itself in quite such high esteem. 

Maybe if nothing else they can bring a nice sound engine back if nothing else. 

Interesting articles around them wanting to make it much more of an event, keep the traditional circuits, not chase the instant money (e.g. Russia etc), building it up, making it more exciting. 

A lot of the promises we've heard before so maybe the change will actually come to some good. To be honest I thought it was teetering on the edge of imploding so perhaps there's not much too much as risk. I dunno. Something has to change and with Bernie there it wasn't going to.

• Like 1