Cheap flights to US East Coast

theduisbergkid

I'm toying with the idea of a 5-6 day trip to the US, perhaps in April or May next year. I'd prefer direct flights and not an early morning outbound, otherwise I'm fairly flexible. 

I've found a Norwegian flight from Gatwick to Boston for £330ish which looks good, I've used Norwegian on other routes and they've been good (for a budget airline). Am I missing a trick? Any other suggestions? 

48 minutes ago, theduisbergkid said:

I've found a Norwegian flight from Gatwick to Boston for £330ish which looks good, I've used Norwegian on other routes and they've been good (for a budget airline). Am I missing a trick? Any other suggestions? 

Is 330 for the LowFare (no food/drinks/luggage/blanket) or the LowFare+? If it's for the latter then it's good value. 

£236 return is lowest Norwegian LowFare rate in March.

Below is a £274 LowFare end of April. On the same dates from Oslo to Boston direct is £220 return :secret:

Flights to Boston from London Gatwick   return trip   Norwegian.jpeg

Edited by Andy_Bangle

Thanks Andy. I thought you'd know best. March might be a bit cold. I'm not sure which package I saw with Norwegian but it was cheaper than the next best (IIRC) Finnair (aka BA) who wanted about £350 each from LHR. I wouldn't mind paying a few quid more for some decent service but I quite like Norwegian. I don't want to to Continental from Brum as the ****ers nearly killed me last time I used them.

Is Boston the cheapest direct flight destination in the US from the UK? 

Prices are pretty dynamic, changing every time there's a sale, In economy I'm often seeing flights under 350.

In the last sale I accidentally booked two flights to Miami (one in Jan and one in Feb) but that's from m Stockholm where flights are always cheap, less pax tax than the U.K.  

I like Washington DC, loads to do and see and prefer Boston to NYC, far to crazy with shoppers for my liking.

I think it's best to wait for sales before booking unless you find an amazing Norwegian deal at a good price.

Last week BA were doing the west coast at 350 - they're going all out war with Norwegian on the LGW routes.

BA are also starting several new routes from LGW including New Orleans, which is where I'm off to in Feb.

Andy, thanks mate, that's really helpful. I do loads of travelling around Europe but don't know where to dig for deals on the US. 

Virgin is a no brainer, LHR is nearer to home than Gatwick and Virgin are ace. £377 is a great deal!

I'll be booking early in the new year and will check for deals again then. 

Cheers +++

PS - I'm in Sweden a bit in Dec/Jan but you can **** off if you think I'm smuggling Pork Pies over for you x

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/11/2016 at 2:18 PM, theduisbergkid said:

Crazy prices:  (cheapest I found JFK for was £150 return!!)

norwegian.png  norwegian.png

Edited by Andy_Bangle

• 1 month later...

About to book this and it's getting more complicated than I hoped for. Me and three kids, want to sit together (or at least two pairs), seat reservation add loads to Norwegian from Gatwick to NYC. Then looking at Virgin from LHR, good (enough) prices but about to confirm booking and they want £30 per person each way for seat reservation. I'd wing it on short haul but don't one kid sat the other end of a Dreamliner puking on a stranger. 

8-23 April is my window to travel, thinking 5-7 days, New York direct (saves me driving down from Boston). Any suggestions o keeping the price down gratefully received. 

Edited by theduisbergkid

12 hours ago, theduisbergkid said:

About to book this and it's getting more complicated than I hoped for. Me and three kids, want to sit together (or at least two pairs), seat reservation add loads to Norwegian from Gatwick to NYC. Then looking at Virgin from LHR, good (enough) prices but about to confirm booking and they want £30 per person each way for seat reservation. I'd wing it on short haul but don't one kid sat the other end of a Dreamliner puking on a stranger. 

8-23 April is my window to travel, thinking 5-7 days, New York direct (saves me driving down from Boston). Any suggestions o keeping the price down gratefully received. 

Rich, pitch up at check-in early enough (2.5 hrs before you fly) and they'll put you all together.  You really don't have to reserve and Virgin are very, very good +++

Even flying Ryanair we always manage to get seated in pairs, as long as we pitch up an hour before we fly.

On 10/01/2017 at 9:51 PM, theduisbergkid said:

On 11/01/2017 at 10:20 AM, Mook said:

Rich, pitch up at check-in early enough (2.5 hrs before you fly) and they'll put you all together.  You really don't have to reserve and Virgin are very, very good +++

Even flying Ryanair we always manage to get seated in pairs, as long as we pitch up an hour before we fly.

Do as mookie says or if you sign up to the "whatever airline" travel club you can often check in online & choose your seats 24hr before departure.

I've done 6 international flights already this year, took me 25 hours to get home from the Bahamas with 2 missed connections - still waiting for my luggage. Think I will be heading back to Miami & New Orleans before my bag even reaches me.

How much you looking at spending?  336 pp, 11-18 April on United or 354 on BA.

Edited by Andy_Bangle

Tweaked my dates and have now booked Virgin. £1500 for 4 of us, return. Signed up for their frequent flyer thing which allows you to check in online 72 hours before the flight so should be fine together, and (if not) I recall their service is good so will wing it at the airport if there's a problem. 

Thanks for the advice, chaps +++

Now... accommodation....

• Like 2