Got one

cruiser647

Traded in my old A8. Picked up a 62 reg A8.  It's the 3.0 TDi in Storm Grey???? with black leather on the Comfort Seats  (why are people who order these so conservative in colour choices???)  Comfort seats - what are the other ones called then? :roflmao:  Eitherway, the other ones look flat as a flat thing on pancake day.

I think it was out of my immediate budget range, but yesterday, they dropped it by £2K as it showed up in Autotrader and matey was surprised at the price and had to check!  It even has less than 6 digits on the clock - so I am very weary now....  (lol!!!)

Anyway, beggars can't be choosers....

Driving home from Whitchurch was a delight, so quiet, so pokey, so smooth, so tight!  The display is something else and seems to show a re-gen mode.  IT has Stop Start too, so that is good for my commute.  On the drive home, it was reporting 44 mpg so that is good.  And jeez!!!! how many things on it that can be changed - wow!  I am going to have to RTFM!  Even loading a CD.

However, just one thing wrong - which was my fault, I went spec blind and missed the fact that this one did not have Bose.  :blink: Grrr!!!!  Will see how I get on, but I intend to keep this one for a few years.......  at least 3 again!

Pictures will be added later, as it sh1t outside at the mo.

So far, so good - a happy Cruiser here!

• Like 12

On 18/12/2016 at 3:42 AM, Rachel said:

Nice wheels, not sure (personally) about how the VW group is squaring off all the styling though.

Hmm, that hadn't dawned on me until you said it.

BMW keep MINI very different in styling but now that you've said it about VW I can see what you mean.  The Golf has been squared off around the lights and elsewhere in a very similar way to that A8 cruiser has bought.  

Cost efficiencies somewhere?  I can't imagine they'd want the brands to be too similar in look because of the obvious problems that might cause Audi buyers who don't necessarily want a car to look similar to a VW.  

1 hour ago, NewNiceMrMe said:

Cost efficiencies somewhere?  I can't imagine they'd want the brands to be too similar in look because of the obvious problems that might cause Audi buyers who don't necessarily want a car to look similar to a VW.  

Not being funny, but how would you get cost efficiencies between an A8 and a Golf in terms of styling?  Loads of cars look similar, because that's the way the industry is tending to take the trend, surely?

Cost efficiencies for VW are at the platform, engine and faster level. So they design  4x4 platform, use it in the Q3, Tiguan extend it a little for the Kodiak etc. engineer once and repeat. 

Ditto common engines, and even fasters and materials, a Bentley uses as many components as it can shared from the VW group, sat nav a screw etc they just order more and send them the same standard components. 

Styling isn't where the cost is, not most refreshes are nearly aways to the soft moulded components not the metalwork, changing steel presses is expensive mouldings less so. +++

41 mpg so far - calculated at last fill.

So, not too bad at all, considering the rate of leptons it can sit at.

Played with the steering.  Going from Dynamic to Comfort.  Yuk - needs more turns!  So back to dynamic.

Will probably keep the steering, suspension, seat belt tensioners all in dynamic and I have the engine and gearbox in comfort mode.  +++