Evernote Security & Privacy

Mac

Well that's a bit poo. I'm a big user too but I have no idea what I'd replace it with that is so easy to use across so many platforms and devices. :blink:

That's another thing to add to the Christmas holiday 'to do list'

Thanks for sharing +++

Edited by Cameo

I've always struggled with Evernote.  I got the Premium version free from O2 but I still couldn't get into usinig it.

However, I know it has a massive fan base and I am astonished at what I've just read above.  How on earth can it be acceptable for data not to be encrypted.  More importantly, how is it even remotely right that their staff have been able to read what users place on their accounts?

I agree that their stance on it, and it seems somewhat defiant, is unacceptable.  

It sounds rather like a company that is ready to take the money and run, frankly.

Yup. It made me investigate it some more. I've had numerous emails over the last week from clients/customers saying that employees are not allowed now to keep any corp data on Evernote.

Think they've massively shot themselves in the bank balance.

On 22/12/2016 at 11:24 PM, Mac said:

Yeah, what about attachments? You have to encrypt them separately in the source app. It's a PITA. I just don't like their default open position, it's uncomfortable. 

Yeah, PITA for PDFs, but not too hard on a Mac.  Way more painful on a Windoze box.

I'm apparently paid up till late 2018, so will bide my time and see if anything else comes along.

I use Boxcryptor for all my "cloud" file stuff, but keeping things as files is also nowadays painful - even if it is available on all my machines, tablets nad phones (using a AES256 4096 bit key).  Evernote's similarly useful as it too is on every device I have and thus sync'd.

I just don't like systems that default open. It's relying on you not making a mistake when securing your data. I'd rather it was the other way around.

Evernote have done themselves some serious damage with this. I work with a lot of public sector bodies - ranging from basic security right up to the top-ish levels, and all I've seen for the last couple of weeks is direction that Evernote must not be used.

That's got to hurt.

• Like 1

On 22/12/2016 at 5:28 PM, garcon magnifique said:

Just a note of thanks to Mac - sent your blog to my sister, who is now changing her university department policy on where to store potentially sensitive research data. +++

As a side note to this M..er, Garcon, University and education is their biggest sector I believe...You know what my lass got in her college email a week or so ago? Direction not to use Evernote.

• Like 1

On 28/12/2016 at 3:34 AM, Mac said:

I just don't like systems that default open. It's relying on you not making a mistake when securing your data. I'd rather it was the other way around.

Evernote have done themselves some serious damage with this. I work with a lot of public sector bodies - ranging from basic security right up to the top-ish levels, and all I've seen for the last couple of weeks is direction that Evernote must not be used.

That's got to hurt.

Send them a rocket and see if you get a response back...   TBH I do not think they ever touted it as being very secure - the free version for example when I first looked didn't even use SSL/TLS between the client and servers.

Backlash has ripple and splash effects:

https://evernote.com/legal/privacy.php

https://evernote.com/security/

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-encrypt-your-files-2487243

etc.   Will be interesting to see if folks like Google Keep and co start offering online "strong box" type capabilities.

Edited by Rachel
added URLs