Ordered a new S5 Coupe

18ME

Not been on here for a long time so not sure if it's still as active as it used to be but thought I'd come on as I've ordered an S5 which is due sometime late March early April and really looking forward to it as I've not had a decent motor for some time.

Anyone else ordered one or got one yet?

• Like 2

Welcome back Martin.  Nobody on this forum drives let alone buys new Audis any more.  Expect "should've bought a BMW" comments any moment.....

The torque fest turbocharged V6 and ZF tiptronic box should make for a very nice combination indeed.  You had many fast Audis since that absolutely gorgeous B6 S4 you had from new?  Yours and a few other forum members on here were definitely a factor that persuaded me to get one

• Like 1

Hi Ian and thanks for the welcome back.

I did have a bit of a look around the forum and it does seem to be much quieter than I remember and especially in the Audi section. We're going to pick up a Mini JCW on Sunday for my other half, does that count as a BMW?

I'm certainly looking forward to the S5 and playing with the new gizmos. We've had many cars since the B6 S4 which is a fond memory but not many Audis and nothing too special (retail trade is not what it used to be) although some interesting cars if I can remember them all, the old memory isn't what it used to be but I can try and list them if you really want to know. I do remember you were always keen to get an S4 which was well over 10 years ago now....where's all that time gone?

16 hours ago, Ian_C said:

Welcome back Martin.  Nobody on this forum drives let alone buys new Audis any more.  Expect "should've bought a BMW" comments any moment.....

Has anyone ever actually said that?  Probably not.

Welcome back 18ME.  The S5 is a terrific car and I know someone with one who rates it as the best car they've ever owned. +++

• Like 2

Hi again 18ME. What happened to the Boxster (I think). I work next to Borough Market these days and there is a shop there with similar kitchen pron to the stuff you sell online. Those copper pan, Mauviel or something, are eyewateringly pricey!

Oh, and nice car. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NewNiceMrMe said:

Welcome back 18ME.  The S5 is a terrific car and I know someone with one who rates it as the best car they've ever owned. +++

Thank you.+++

Good to hear that the S5 is rated as I've not driven one yet so very hopeful. Also looking forward to picking up the Mini on Sunday too.

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Hi again 18ME. What happened to the Boxster (I think). I work next to Borough Market these days and there is a shop there with similar kitchen pron to the stuff you sell online. Those copper pan, Mauviel or something, are eyewateringly pricey!

Oh, and nice car. 

Hiya +++ Last Porsche I had was nearly 13 years ago now, I'd love another one but the prices now with a bit of spec are now unfortunately out of my league. However if you wanted to buy some Mauviel copper pans from me then I might be able to stretch to another Porsche.;)

• Like 3

I've not seen a new A5 or S5 on the road yet, just a couple at the dealers.
Not sure the lighter colours do it justice with the chrome bits and huge chrome grill but will do when the black edition is available.

Mine should look like this when it comes.S5 Side.jpegS5 Seats.jpegS5 Dash.jpeg

S5 Rear.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 18ME said:

Cheers Paul? if my memory serves correctly+++

Nice to hear that there's someone that's still into Audi's on here

Yep - correct. Well remembered :)

I'm occasionally driving the wife's car. Now 8 years old but still only 32k miles. Much more comfortable for the family than the S4. I don't miss the power but do miss the noise.

We did ponder an S5 (when it had the 4,2) but decided an Avant worked better for the years of pushchairs and baggage.

Avant.JPG

• Like 1

You ordered one, but hadn't driven one.....

That is a bit of a risk, isn't it?   I cannot comment on the new shape A5, but my mate has a 3.0Tdi Black Edition quattro and it is phenomenal!  Fast, and the steering is like a go kart with a small wheel.  The ride is a bit too harsh for me though.

His gearchanges are smooth with the S-Tronic, so yours should be even better with the old slushbox being fitted instead now.

+++

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Scotty said:

Yep - correct. Well remembered :)

I'm occasionally driving the wife's car. Now 8 years old but still only 32k miles. Much more comfortable for the family than the S4. I don't miss the power but do miss the noise.

We did ponder an S5 (when it had the 4,2) but decided an Avant worked better for the years of pushchairs and baggage.

Avant.JPG

The noise was the thing I missed the most from my B6 S4 which I think you had the same stage 3 amd 400bhp in yours didn't you? I loved that car more than the B7 S4 that I had in 2007 which was a really high spec car compared to the B6 but the B7 didn't have the same sense of occasion when driving it. Plus I really liked the silver leather and Moro blue compared to the black and Sprint blue. I also miss the phenomenal sound of the VRX8 with the Wortec exhaust, it was very comical seeing peoples faces when back off the throttle with the pops and bangs that you wouldn't expect from a 4 door saloon.:grin:

S4-19d.jpgDSCF0004.JPG

VXR8k.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruiser647 said:

You ordered one, but hadn't driven one.....

That is a bit of a risk, isn't it?   I cannot comment on the new shape A5, but my mate has a 3.0Tdi Black Edition quattro and it is phenomenal!  Fast, and the steering is like a go kart with a small wheel.  The ride is a bit too harsh for me though.

His gearchanges are smooth with the S-Tronic, so yours should be even better with the old slushbox being fitted instead now.

+++

I don't see it as a risk, as I've had many Audi's and know not to expect it to be as engaging to drive as a BMW nor as comfortable as a Merc but I know I will love the interior and it will be a generally decent all rounder. We had a convertible A5 2.0T S-Line manual and a facelift A5 BE 2.0 TDI multitronic so know it will be better than either of those. Also had DSG on other Audi's in the past and normal auto on an A8 so actually looking forward to the 8 speed ZF in the S5. I didn't have a chance to test drive anyway as there wasn't any in the country when I ordered and if I had waited I wouldn't have got the deal I have.

The 8 speed in my A8 is fecking smooth!  And of course, the interiors are something else.

+++

Will you have the exhaust played with to enhance the sound?  The supercharged V6 on the previous S5 was quite quiet.  I expect the new V6 to be much the same.  It'll be a nice muted sound, but..... missing something - like some baritone and bass!

Edited by cruiser647
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cruiser647 said:

The 8 speed in my A8 is fecking smooth!  And of course, the interiors are something else.

+++

Will you have the exhaust played with to enhance the sound?  The supercharged V6 on the previous S5 was quite quiet.  I expect the new V6 to be much the same.  It'll be a nice muted sound, but..... missing something - like some baritone and bass!

I have neighbours now so may not want to mess about with the exhaust especially as the Mini won't be that quiet with the JCW pro exhaust on it:grin: I have watched a few videos and it does sound quite nice in standard form so hoping its not too quiet in reality, although maybe tempted in a remap or however these tuning boxes work as I'd have to be careful as I'm leasing it and I've never leased a car before so not sure what you can and can't do.

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/02/2017 at 4:05 PM, NewNiceMrMe said:

I should've bought a BMW, though :rolleyes:

• Like 3