Arch

Help! Shit! Car Insurance, two cars...

18 posts in this topic

I'm sure some of you have more than one car insured. How does it work then?  I have new car arriving Friday and haven't sold old one yet. Old one still needs insuring until sold, policy is with Sky and is paid. I have 9 years NCB. They also wanted stupid money to 'change' to the 140 so been trawling the price comparison sites. Admiral have come out with the best overall price like for like. 

So, can i just get another new policy, transfer the NCB to the new car, obviously not earn any more NCB on the old car so guess i 'lose' a year by switching now. :wacko: Never encountered this situation before and, yes, may have left it a little late to sort out and ask for advice... :rolleyes: 

Any advice very gratefully accepted at this point! 

The currently Sky policy renewal date has to be a factor here.  Ditto Sky insurances cancellation fees / pro rata refund set up.  If you bought the Sky policy less than 14 days ago, you can cancel with no fees.  If the renewal is in a months time, you'll want to hang on for the extra years no claims bonus etc.  You obviously cannot delay the new car if you are taking it by the end of March to avoid Aprils new car tax regime....

There is also the factor that insurance companies get funny about you using the same no claims bonus on two policies.  They like not paying out in the event of a claim because you haven't cleaned your teeth that morning (*insert other completely irrelevant reason here*) so you need to exercise slight caution if starting a completely new policy with Admiral with 9 years no claims whilst letting your current policy run out.

You have a few options.  One is to get an entirely new quote from Sky on the M140, get the cost per year, and then negotiate with them a sensible admin fee to change.  So if the new car is £100 more a year to insure, and you have six months remaining, you owe then £50+ fee

If the above works, you could be tactical if you plan to offload the old car within 14 days.  Take out a brand new policy with any insurer, and you have a 14 day cooling off period, just like you do with any insurance / financial product.  So you can avoid the hefty cancellation fees if you know the car will be gone within this time span.

If the car you are selling is less than 10 years old, why not stick it on Tootle, see if any dealers want it?  Some cars they bid low, some cars they bid as high as a private sale.  Get rid of it by Friday.  Or Saturday Sunday if you have another car to block it in on the driveway etc

Cheers Ian. 

Renewal with Sky is not until September. Back in Jan or Feb, they quoted me just over £1000 to change to the 140i. :blink: All the other quotes via Confused etc are coming in at mid to high 400s. Couldn't get through to Admiral tonight and Sky had closed as well. Will try and get hold of them tomorrow and see where I stand on the NCB. Hopefully, the FD2 should sell fairly easily, but no guarantees. Posted forums ads last night, already had my first "What's your lowest price for cash mate?" text this morning. :rolleyes: Just done an online quote with BMW and that came in at £568. :unsure:

Most companies will allow a cross-over if you are staying with them for the new car. Often 1 week costs nothing/next to nothing. I have done it for up to 2 months before, but obviously that only works if you are staying with them.

Some companies will try to lock you in by having a punitive cancellation charge after 6 months, I have argued successfully against this before & went from "you owe us £x" to getting the correct amount less admin so beware.

Ultimately your out-going insurer's Ts & Cs will likely be the deciding factor, so read them carefully.

You have to ask your insurer.  Some do and some don't.  Because I'm always tarting about with cars, I've had to do this about 4 times in the last couple of years.  Admiral, Aviva and LV do, but the people I've got my van through don't.  You can always use temporary insurance providers if you get stuck (just Google temporary car insurance - I've used Day Insure and Insure Daily previously) - check the excess though and always read the small print!

Check with you dealer that they don't offer free 7 days insurance on the new car. I know VW do so I would have thought BMW do to. Although a week in not a lot of time, it could just be enough for you to get sorted.

**** that, get BMW to take the old car- or tell them they will have to park the newbie until your ready.

Last time I was two cars 1 owner, 1 insurance- they gave a 30 day overlap. 

8 minutes ago, Calm Chris said:

**** that, get BMW to take the old car- or tell them they will have to park the newbie until your ready.

Not that easy Chris if it's a ten year old Jap import

Plus if the 1 series is a lease, px is simply not an option anyway

So, called Sky on the way home, spoke to a nice young chap who understood the whole deal and said, two minutes whilst I speak to someone else. When he came back he said "Umm, sorry to tell you but you don't actually have a policy with us anymore." :blink: Dafuq? "Yes, you moved to our biggest competitor" 

Shit, yes i did. :roflmao:So, he laughed, I laughed, and then i had to ask him who that was as I couldn't remember who i insured the car with. :unsure: I tell you what, i'm ****ing useless sometimes. Anyway, it as Adrian Flux, called them, explained situation, got passed around a lot and then promised a call back tomorrow. Hopefully this can be resolved easily. :rolleyes: Three days to go.... 

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Arch said:

So, called Sky on the way home, spoke to a nice young chap who understood the whole deal and said, two minutes whilst I speak to someone else. When he came back he said "Umm, sorry to tell you but you don't actually have a policy with us anymore." :blink: Dafuq? "Yes, you moved to our biggest competitor" 

Shit, yes i did. :roflmao:So, he laughed, I laughed, and then i had to ask him who that was as I couldn't remember who i insured the car with. :unsure: I tell you what, i'm ****ing useless sometimes. Anyway, it as Adrian Flux, called them, explained situation, got passed around a lot and then promised a call back tomorrow. Hopefully this can be resolved easily. :rolleyes: Three days to go.... 

In the words of a well known credit card company.....priceless!

10 minutes ago, Ian_C said:

Not that easy Chris if it's a ten year old Jap import

Plus if the 1 series is a lease, px is simply not an option anyway

+++ 1er is a buyer not a leaser but I'd already decided not to part ex with them, they'd never give anywhere near the 'market' price for my car. :(

11 hours ago, Arch said:

1 person likes this

18 hours ago, Arch said:

+++ 1er is a buyer not a leaser but I'd already decided not to part ex with them, they'd never give anywhere near the 'market' price for my car. :(

By 'market price' I presume that's the extra £3k that you Jap rice rocket fanboyz believe the vehicle is worth :-)

3 people like this

20 hours ago, billy2shots said:

By 'market price' I presume that's the extra £3k that you Jap rice rocket fanboyz believe the vehicle is worth :-)

:roflmao:Too right. JDM y0! Imports appreciate the more you drive them/polish them/look at their reflections in shop windows whilst laughing at the compromised suspension design on the UK equivalent. :grin:

2 people like this

Sorted. So Flux wanted circa £2k to insure the 1er:blink:. Plus, £138 to put the Honda on a temp policy.

However, they only wanted £58 to remove my NCB from the Honda and keep policy as is until sold. Insured the 1er with esure for 446 inc business cover, protected NCB and legal cover. 

Insurance, its a ****ing minefield of pot luck/bullshit. :wacko:

Agreed.  Insurance can be a nightmare.  What do you get for your £58?  Absolutely nothing!  £58 towards their Christmas party!

Wife's Boxster starts an Admiral policy (in about 15 mins). 

Business use, protected NCB, legal cover, no points/courses and 1 fault claim in last 3 years. £248 :)

Adrian Flux are morons. 

Anyway, FWIW, I just had a quote on what will (hopefully, I'm going to look at it tomorrow) be my new vehicle. 

£124 fully comp. I love classic car insurance. 

1 person likes this