Another new S5 ordered

cruiser647

My mate with the gorgeous blue A5 coupe has been off work for the past week, ill.

As you all well know, the devil makes work for idle thumbs.  He informed me that last week he took out a new S4 for a spin.  Loved it - the tech, the dash, the engine, the performance, the ride etc.  Bedford Audi did not have an S5 in at the time, but he asked them too and they got one for the Sunday.

On the Sunday, he also took a drive in a new M3 coupe from the BMW garage.  He had already driven the 440i to get a taste(ish) of the car and power, which were nice, even though there is an extra 100 BHP on top of both the S5 & the 40i.

However, he was not at all impressed with the interior of the BM, and didn't think he'd be able to live with it each time he drove the car.  The stripe along the fascia (blue?).  Nor the dash and he was really not impressed that it still has the old dials of yore after coming from his current A5.  He did not think it was befitting of a car that is another £10K over the S5, before he added in a few bits and bobs.  He did say it drove and went rather well, as expected and was great on that score, slighty better than the S5.  if he has doubts now, then he'd end up hating it.  He didn't like the HUD on the test drive, but maybe that is something he'd get used too?

Later on the Sunday, I got a phone call.  He had gone for the drive in the S5, and said the rear felt more planted than in the S4The sales bod at Bedford was much improved (ie, different person) after his previous dealings with them.

As a result, it will be delivered in 3 months.  In black.

That'll teach him to be ill!  :roflmao:

When I am off after June, I shall not be going anywhere near a car shop......!  :blink:

The blue stripe on the dash would have been in the 440i. It's a horrible bit of trim and I've no idea why BMW though it'd be a good idea.  Its only purpose is to identify boggo spec cars on the used market cos anyone with any taste will spec something different.

Standard trim in the M3/M4 is some equally awful blue/black plastic they call Blue Shadow. Which is why everyone goes for the carbon trim for an extra few hundred quid.  When I spec'd an M3 a year or so ago (and then saw sense) I also had the full leather trim to help lift the cabin into something worthy of the price (for that you get leather trimmed dash with contrast stitching and suchlike). One thing I do like in the M3/M4 is the seats.

As far as dash technology goes, that's where you realise the 3/4 series is getting on a bit. I like it because it adheres to BMW ergonomic simplicity, but I can understand the reluctance to go back from a full digital dash.

And finally...  black? Really? How awfully boring. :P

Black cars are the fastest.  Everyone knows that :)

Interesting comparing the S5 to the M4, because in Audis eyes, the RS5 is the competitor to it.  The BMW interior compared to the Audi interior is always going to be a subjective thing anyway, I guess!

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Black cars are the fastest.  Everyone knows that :)

Interesting comparing the S5 to the M4, because in Audis eyes, the RS5 is the competitor to it.  The BMW interior compared to the Audi interior is always going to be a subjective thing anyway, I guess!

Oh yes, he knows the M rival is the RS, but there is no RS5 at the mo, hence the 100 BHP difference

And spending £60K on an M when you don't like the bits you look at all the time............. that will grate.

4 hours ago, cruiser647 said:

And spending £60K on an M when you don't like the bits you look at all the time............. that will grate.

1.  He wouldn't be spending £60k.  The discounts are substantial.

2.  I think he imagined driving an M3 and was never seriously interested in one, having already made his mind up.  Why?  Well, as Garcon has pointed out, there is no blue stripe.  He could have chosen one of a wide number of different trims, even if the imaginary blue stripe had been in the car he never drove, for £300-375.  Had the imaginary car not been an imaginary car and had he ever really been interested in an M3, he would have known HUD was an £825 option anyway so it'd be up to him whether it annoyed him or not.  I agree on the dials and it is an M oddity.  The 5 series I have, now 4 years old, has a fully digital and configurable dash.  Why it isn't on the M3/4, I have no idea.  Mind you, given that he saw a blue stripe that wasn't there and couldn't speak to the salesman due to him being devoid of a tongue, it may as well have been missing 4 wheels and a gearbox for all the good his imaginary visit did.

3.  The Audi S5 is a superb car and he's going to end up with a lovely vehicle - but as above, I'm sorry, I can't believe for a second he actually got in an M3.  If he did, it was a fleeting visit and he imagined seeing the blue line and was too thick to realise HUD is an option.  He obviously had a silent salesman too, because had the salesman had a voice, he'd have told him all of the above...

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

I'm not on any stuff as strong as your mate!

Let's get this right...

He says he doesn't like a blue stripe in a car that doesn't exist?

He says he's not sure he could buy a car with HUD as it would irritate him - despite it being an option?

Come on, please.  You've either got what he said completely wrong or he didn't ever sit in, never mind drive, a fecking M3!

This isn't about a preference for a make of car.  I think the S5 is a fantastic vehicle and I said so above and have also done so on here very recently!  I'm simply pointing out some glaring fecking anomalies in his supposed justifications for ruling out another car!  

I'd have said the same if he'd chosen an M3 over an S5 or any other car, had the information he'd given as his reasoning been complete and utter bollocks!

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

What is this imaginary car you keep going on about?  You can check the stock in Bedford BMW if you want.

He drove the 440i the 440i had the HUD and he wasn't that emanored (sp) on it and then on the Sunday the M3.  It was a delight to drive, sounded great, felt superb, BUT the dials and rest of the fascia put him off. 

My mistake - it's an M4 Coupe (2017 model). (with all these model variations, it's easy for me to get them wrong)  You have got me looking at the brochure and there is a nasty bit of blue trim along the fascia.  The rest of it on the doors and stuff is good, but on the fascia - nah.  I didn't need to say anything, he mentioned it first.  I was staying neutral, as he had mentioned looking and driving them about 6 months ago.

15 minutes ago, cruiser647 said:

My mistake - it's an M4 Coupe (2017 model). (with all these model variations, it's easy for me to get them wrong)  You have got me looking at the brochure and there is a nasty bit of blue trim along the fascia.  The rest of it on the doors and stuff is good, but on the fascia - nah.  I didn't need to say anything, he mentioned it first.  I was staying neutral, as he had mentioned looking and driving them about 6 months ago.

You're still mistaken. I'm so bored I've just downloaded the M3/M4 brochure and the 4 series brochure.

There is no nasty bit of blue trim along the fascia in the M4. It appears nowhere in the M4 brochure.

However, if you look at the BMW 4 series brochure, you WILL find that nasty blue trim on the dash of the 4 series in M Sport spec:

Screen_Shot_2017-04-04_at_12.45.04.png

Just reading back, I'm not having a go, just wanted to clarify the facts. I mean it's not really important in the scheme of things, but that nasty blue trim he saw must have been in the 440i, not the M4. And I don't know anyone who doesn't agree that it's nasty.

At the end of the day, it sounds like it was the main dash layout that really swung it against the M4 for him. That's where his reasoning is spot on - if you don't like the part of the car you're looking at when you're driving, it's probably not the car for you.

Good Lord is that the time? :uhoh::P

Ahhh!  Fair enough.  We were looking at the configurator on both the S5 and M4 Coupe Competitiion models on Friday evening and the brochure so I might have got mixed up with the M pamphlet and other ones.

Eitherway, that blue stripe is nasty.

As is the way BMW list out the options for the sound.  They call is 'Loudspeaker.......'  What?  You just get the one?  :roflmao:

As with Mr G, I have lost touch with Merc model designations.   On their SUV & 4x4 offerings

• Like 1