Laptop to large screen wireless connection

cabby

For an office scenario where various people / machines will need to connect to a TV/monitor in a meeting room.  We have a HDMI cable setup but it's not very neat/elegant.  

Chromecast or a similar type device is what I'm thinking.  Main downside of that system is that I can see the dongle going 'walkies' whether intentionally or mistakenly. 

Any experiences of Chromecast or similar appreciated.

I'd recommend sticking with the cable. You just plug it in and it works.

I do use WiDi when working at home but I wouldn't want to be arsed with visitors / staff all having to muck about with pairing or drivers etc.

Our AV stuff at work is pretty nifty (any one can draw on the white boards from their phones in the meeting room or remotely etc), IP TV, video conf etc etc but we still use an HDMI for the PC connectivity. It's just easy. 

Edited by Scotty

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Wireless-Display-Adapter-Black/dp/B00J9C2JDG

after trying many expensive solutions we tried these. Can't recommend them enough for the money. Pretty much all laptops in the last couple of years have the wireless video thing. No drivers it's all native in windows 10.

i think we have about 60 of them and people love th simplicity of connecting

• Like 1

I have tried so many different gadgets on this subject but they're all far too finicky if you're always in different places.

Then, I found the best solution.

I carry every possible TV connecting lead imaginable in my bag, including a 5m HDMI cable.   It adds to the weight I'm pulling around but it has never let me down.

The problem comes if you're going to hundreds of venues, each with different TV's.  Not all even have a HDMI slot to plug a cable into, never mind an adaptor.  I have HDMI, SVGA and even a set of old composite connecting cables (used twice, believe it or not).  As a back up, I have a full digital projector packed in the bag too.  As a back up to that I have a micro LED projector (nigh on useless but it would suffice in an emergency).  

23 hours ago, chasdrury said:

i think we have about 60 of them and people love th simplicity of connecting

None gone walkies? 

We used to lose loads of useful things like this e.g. travel adaptors for visitors, power leads etc etc

Just one other issue with wireless which may/may not effect you :

If anyone is using a VPN* tunnel from their device (e.g. a common one maybe a visitor using a VPN to access their the corporate LAN to do a demo/grab info/etc) then the wireless device maybe not be visible. i.e. if all IP traffic from the device is routed down the corporate VPN tunnel then any local IPs (such as the wireless adaptor) may not be visible. 

* - I'm making the assumption the VPN is not setup with split tunnelling as this can be a security weakness.