New company car time

dazdot

I currently have a Mazda 6 Sport Nav 175  diesel for a company car. Other than normal service and tyres, it has had nothing spent on repairs in the 2 years I have had it. Don't want to keep it too much longer as the value will drop off soon because of the miles. I drive approx 35,000 miles per year, plenty of 500 mile round trips but very few short trips. I would appreciate some choices based on the following.

Comfortable on long journeys.

Goodish mpg / low co2, approx 125 and below.

Sat nav built in, bluetooth and cruise.

Automatic.

Doesn't need masses of space as nearly all journeys are on my own.

Preferably new or pre reg.

£30,000 to spend plus £10,000 from p/x.

Required around late May/June.

Thanks for any ideas.

Having had VWs for years, I'd never understood the huge BMW following..until now. 

I have a 320d Msport auto and it's fantastic. 

Very comfirtable, quick enough for me, all the toys I need and the auto box is a thing of beauty. 

I've done 23k since November and many long journeys and I never get out feeling like its been a hard drive. 

I couldn't recommend it enough. 

Never really been a fan of BMW's either, but cannot fault their engines etc. +++ I do like the look of the 2 series more than the, I think, boring design of the 3 series.

Just thought of something else, would it be worthwhile looking at lease etc? I know nothing about these so any info greatfully received.

Daft as this sounds, the only thing I'd change about my car is....the model!

I should have got a 4 series GC in the same mineral grey with coral interior as I have now. 

The more of them I see the more I realise I made the wrong choice, still, from the inside it's still spot on +++

The 4GC is a better looking car, but I really couldn't justify the price hike compared to a 3. 

By far the most popular premium compact saloon out there at the moment (based on the last year's registrations) is the Merc C Class. Not because it's better than the 3 series but because of stupendous lease deals. Might be worth a look. 

9 minutes ago, garcon magnifique said:

The 4GC is a better looking car, but I really couldn't justify the price hike compared to a 3. 

By far the most popular premium compact saloon out there at the moment (based on the last year's registrations) is the Merc C Class. Not because it's better than the 3 series but because of stupendous lease deals. Might be worth a look. 

That is very high on my list at the moment, C 250 d SE Executive Edition Saloon.

If your company isn't fussed about diesel, then seriously consider a Seat Lean Cupra R - I know you don't need the space, but it is one hell of a sleeper and between all the VW group cars, including Audi and Skoda, it's by far the most accomplished car of the lot in its class.

I never really got Seats, until I met my not wife - she has an Ibiza Sport and, while it's not the quickest of things, you can really chuck it around, it's properly comfortable on long journeys and it's completely predictable.

Alternatively, just buy a BMW :P 

46 minutes ago, Mook said:

I never really got Seats, until I met my not wife

Interesting comment.  :roflmao:

I couldn't live with the Merc's interior or the stupid handbrake thing.  Also, I hope they don't use the same wheezy sounding gearbox as they do on the A/B class offerings.  My (new) rental sounded like an old man in a Daf-o-matic of yore!!!

Also M8ckn 23K miles since November?  Bloody hell!!!!  So it's you causing all this pollution!!!!  :o

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruiser647 said:

I couldn't live with the Merc's interior or the stupid handbrake thing. 

You soon get used to the parking brake, being as most Merc's are auto anyway, you don't even use it so not a problem, it was Mercedes way of clearing the handbrake off the centre console before electronic parking brakes were a thing, Mrs T's Prius has a foot operated parking brake, you don't even think about it after a few weeks.

10 hours ago, eldavo69 said:

My Octavia vRS goes back in October and our new scheme is for 4 years. 

Im looking at a Merc c220d Amg-line Estate - as Garcon mentions, the lease deals are very favourable. 

I take it the AMG line is just styling?

9 hours ago, Mook said:

I never really got Seats, until I met my not wife - she has an Ibiza Sport and, while it's not the quickest of things, you can really chuck it around, it's properly comfortable on long journeys and it's completely predictable.

Alternatively, just buy a BMW :P 

I'll have a look at the Seat, thanks. Like the BMW's, but the styling is a bit boring, on some models, in my eyes.

8 hours ago, cruiser647 said:

Interesting comment.  :roflmao:

I couldn't live with the Merc's interior or the stupid handbrake thing.  Also, I hope they don't use the same wheezy sounding gearbox as they do on the A/B class offerings.  My (new) rental sounded like an old man in a Daf-o-matic of yore!!!

Not looked inside a Merc yet, so have no idea what the handbrake is like. My Mazda is a switch on the centre console. 

And, no idea on the gearbox.

If its a company car then the hybrids are going down very well in our place. 

BMW 330e or Merc 350 Hybrid thingy. One is getting over 100mpg a day on his commute and the lower tax level is saving him a fortune, plus when he gets into it, its already pre-warmed and de-misted for him, he likes that A LOT. Oh and both are far more rapid than their diesel counterparts. However take them on a long run and the diesels will beat them for economy ultimately, play with them and they will be mid 30s. Both come better equipped than the diesel equivalents as well. +++ 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CarMad said:

If its a company car then the hybrids are going down very well in our place. 

BMW 330e or Merc 350 Hybrid thingy. One is getting over 100mpg a day on his commute and the lower tax level is saving him a fortune, plus when he gets into it, its already pre-warmed and de-misted for him, he likes that A LOT. Oh and both are far more rapid than their diesel counterparts. However take them on a long run and the diesels will beat them for economy ultimately, play with them and they will be mid 30s. Both come better equipped than the diesel equivalents as well. +++ 

Carmad, one of the first I looked at was the 330e. And you are right,long journeys are the killer for me. I do many return trips of 200 mile plus, and also at least 1 trip per week of 350 miles plus monthly Scotland trips.

On 28/04/2017 at 6:22 PM, dazdot said:

I take it the AMG line is just styling?

Yes,  Mercedes have AMG line, Audi have S-Line and BMW have M Sport. 

Just a hackneyed way of sticking some slightly sportier looking bumpers and some bigger wheels on along with a better spec and married to a 4-pot diesel banger to make us feel some vicarious affinity to the brands halo products. 

• Like 1

I don't need an estate but I do generally prefer the shape of them over the saloons (Merc E class excepted). I'm aware that neither my 3 series, Octavia or the C class are "proper" estates but from a real world point of view they are great - shopping, kid's bikes, Ikea, tip trips - I couldn't go back to a saloon again. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eldavo69 said:

I don't need an estate but I do generally prefer the shape of them over the saloons (Merc E class excepted). I'm aware that neither my 3 series, Octavia or the C class are "proper" estates but from a real world point of view they are great - shopping, kid's bikes, Ikea, tip trips - I couldn't go back to a saloon again. 

Thanks, i'm going into my local MB dealer on Friday, i'll have a look, makes sense as long as the mpg and emissions don't suffer too much.

My mate has been reading the online manual for his soon to be his new car.

The tech in these things that they use to get the MPG and emissions figures!  The coasting along feature as the car 'can' register what is coming and coast to a roundabout or coast upto the car infront as it can lift the throttle when needed.

And additional stuff......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiser647 said:

My mate has been reading the online manual for his soon to be his new car.

The tech in these things that they use to get the MPG and emissions figures!  The coasting along feature as the car 'can' register what is coming and coast to a roundabout or coast upto the car infront as it can lift the throttle when needed.

And additional stuff......

If you don't mind me asking, which model is he having?