Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Andy_Bangle

Mercedes Vs BMW Vs Audi In-Car Tech

11 posts in this topic

Car Geek Warning: Comparison of 3 similar systems by Carwow

Interesting review .... but exactly when I had in my mind before hand so no real surprises.

What did surprise me was the satnav test .... simply because the first 5 digits of the postcode are the same as mine.

The Audi cockpit dash does look impressive. I've got the BMW and it is really nice to us the updated version another step up again. Mercedes just don't seem to get it revision after revision. 

The Merc digital dash looks like someone stuck on a couple of cheap tablets.

WTF is that in the Merc? Thats poor. Even though I might sound biased, I think the IDrive system is superb. Most of the add ons I somehow got but have still not used them though

I'm amazed Mercedes are still progressing with the non-integrated look, their salesmen hate them, apparently everyone who sits in a Merc says the same thing, looks like a cheap tablet stuck on the dash, it was bad enough when it was just the nav screen but now the instrument binnacle too.

I don't personally own a Mercedes, BMW or Audi but the company does and so I've driven cars with all three systems, I have to say, the BMW system is by far my favourite, as for the satellite view thing on Audi, it just doesn't work in my opinion, makes the view overly complicated to look at while you're driving and no help whatsoever.

That being said, all three systems are very impressive and simply on a different level to the tech available from other mainstream manufacturers, the top system in a Volvo S80/90 or V90 for example seems about 10 years out of date, other than the surround view which works exceptionally well.

Have you seen the latest Volvo system in action in the S/V/XC90 ?  I was reasonably impressed, although I think I prefer the BMW iDrive clever mouse/wheel/button type interface to the touch screen.

Actually, given I only use about 10% of the tech in my BMW, if my next car choice was entirely down to interior quality and feel with decent tech and excellent sound, it'd be a Volvo.

No idea if the rest of the Audi range has the option, but I hired a new TT last time I went to Nürburg and there was no stick-up screen at all - it was entirely integrated into the main dash - full sized TFT screen and you could switch between all the dials, big rev counter/small speedo and satnav - as in the full width of where all the dials would normally be.  Very clever stuff.

1 person likes this

Yes we have a V90, it's a very good system no doubt about it, and compared to my Galaxy's system it's in another league, but it's just not up there with the other three marques, mostly as you say due to the input method, touch screens are just not a great idea in a car in my opinion, as I mentioned, I was very impressed with the surround view* and overall, the system wouldn't put me off buying a Volvo, it's a superb place to sit.

*So impressed I've been looking at aftermarket systems to integrate in my Galaxy, it has the normal backup camera so I think it's doable.

2 hours ago, Mook said:

No idea if the rest of the Audi range has the option, but I hired a new TT last time I went to Nürburg and there was no stick-up screen at all - it was entirely integrated into the main dash - full sized TFT screen and you could switch between all the dials, big rev counter/small speedo and satnav - as in the full width of where all the dials would normally be.  Very clever stuff.

My mate's A4 went in for a service and they gave him the new TT Cab as a courtesy.

That dash is chuffing impressive!  If you didn't know, and had it on 'normal' mode, the big dials look as it they are traditional analogue jobs.  The 'metal' around the dials has the shine and everything.  Then you can just make them smaller, have 1 dial, have the nav (if it had it) in the middle or taking up the whole dash!  Wow!!!

^^^ this +++